Town: Oldham
Boat name: Aqua Vitae
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 75hp
MMSI: 235115057
Liverpool/N.Wales Team Building

Hi to the assembled ribbing collective.

I've been tasked by my manager to arrange a team day out. Something on the water has been suggested. They wanted to come on my boat, but at 3.6m, it won't accomodate 5 of us!

Does anyone know of any charter companies around Liverpool or North Wales, that would be able to help? Alternatively, anyone know of someone that might be up for taking 5 Christian youth workers on the water

I work for a youthwork charity in Manchester, and as such, budgets are tight!

Thanks in advance!
Tim
Old 25 March 2011, 16:50   #2

Town: London
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp
why don't you do something cheaper like canoeing etc? chartering a commercial rib will cost you £££ and in theory most people like me who are not commercially endoresed are not allowed to charge. If something goes wrong their a**e will be fried by the authorities...!

So....!
Old 25 March 2011, 19:32   #3

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Aqua Vitae
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Yamaha 75hp
MMSI: 235115057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandad View Post
why don't you do something cheaper like canoeing etc?
Because they want to go powerboating or sailing!
Old 25 March 2011, 20:44   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Tim View Post
Because they want to go powerboating or sailing!
To be honest, Liverpool bay is not the greatest place on earth to go powerboating! I was there in December with a group of people from a university testing Barrow Windfarm, and all you can see from the sea is industrial sites and it does have a nasty tide which may work against your plan...

But if you are prepared to go further down towards Wales then it is nice.

A full day skippered charter rib is between £300-£400 + Fuel. I am sure there are companies which will supply you with rib. Try this: http://www.jmyachting.co.uk/la/3572
Old 25 March 2011, 22:15   #5

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Hi Tim, how ya doin?? get yourself to safewater training on the wirral and do a level 1 course for a day, they are always good for a laugh-**** they're scousers after all. I can't help you cos I'm tooooo busy. (Barrow windfarm is fine, bit of a tide but nothing that can't be handled and those that know can sort it easily). More of a rip on the mersey but they are used to it and it makes life interesting. The liverpool skyline is quite something especially on night courses(not on this occasion obviously). Cutting m'own throat here sending folk to the opposition but I do a lot of that these days ! Give m'regards to Mark and Bri
Old 26 March 2011, 13:28   #6

Town: Exiled in England!
Make: Avon SR4
Engine: 40hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandad View Post
To be honest, Liverpool bay is not the greatest place on earth to go powerboating! I was there in December with a group of people from a university testing Barrow Windfarm, and all you can see from the sea is industrial sites and it does have a nasty tide which may work against your plan...
I've got a permit for New Brighton and I don't tend to use it much for the same reasons, it's up at the end of the month and I doubt I'll renew it. The docks are interesting and the skyline is impressive... for about 15min. You can get much the same effect from getting the ferry for about £2.50. It's a good ten miles to get to the mouth of the channel as well or the very tidal dependant Rock Gut if you want to get out the Mersey and get round the Wirral. It's OK if you're local and don't fancy a trek but I wouldn't go out my way to go out on the Mersey.

As well as Safewater there is Glaciere in Liverpool itself. I did my PB2 with them and wasn't overly impressed, lots of wasted time on land and not a lot of boat time (despite only 2 of us on the course), especially in open water (most of the time was in the marina/docks). I thought the boats were a bit shabby as well.

Liverpool Sailing Club by the airport has started doing RYA Powerboat courses, I had a tour round it a couple of weeks ago as I was looking for a local alternative to New Brighton. Lovely place they've got and their big RIB looks quite nice. Might be worth trying there. They're not for profit so it might be a bit cheaper as well. Scenery is a bit nicer up that bit of the river too.
Old 26 March 2011, 19:53   #7

Tim knows the area- the clue is in the user name!! Interesting that you know Liverpool bay from working at B.O.W how did that happen?
Old 28 March 2011, 23:21   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
Tim knows the area- the clue is in the user name!! Interesting that you know Liverpool bay from working at B.O.W how did that happen?
The same company developed Barrow (Dong Energy; a Danish Company) was thinking of extending the burbo bank in Liverpool Bay. We hired their survey vessel (a massive 11m rib!) and had a tour of the area.
Old 29 March 2011, 08:50   #9

soon be able to navigate by ironmongery anywhere! Its already got to the stage of turn right at the gas field then left at the third windfarm. Still it keeps me in a job and Mrs W in the style to which she has become accustomed