Old 21 January 2017, 07:40   #1

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Live bait tank

I made a quick video for a mate of another forum about a simple removable live bait tank.

I use live baits for fishing but also collect a few fish species for a local sea aquarium.

The water scoop only scoops when travelling at speed so if travelling slow simply switch the power on.

Anyway with the lack of space in ribs I made an easily removable setup, not sure if this may be any help to anyone.

Jon

Old 21 January 2017, 08:49   #2

Town: Salcombe
Boat name: The Black Pig
Make: Ranieri
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60c hp tohatsu
MMSI: 235038018
Send a message via AIM to The Black Pig
V sophisticated

It beats my washing machine drum towed behind
Old 21 January 2017, 09:20   #3

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
I've seen the same set up on a few Charter Boats over here,works well but way too much for the average Boat/RIB.
I've kept Sandeels alive in a wet Hessian sack all day on many occasions....so long as you keep it wet and cool and you won't get many casualties...a lot easier than Bait wells..or a Bait Creel...pluss it's not bouncing everywhere traveling between fishing locations...or if it cuts up
I also bought a Collapsable Floating Net Bait Cage which and can be used to "liven em up" if needed.
Only a few pounds and works a treat

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 10:17   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
I've seen the same set up on a few Charter Boats over here,works well but way too much for the average Boat/RIB.
I've kept Sandeels alive in a wet Hessian sack all day on many occasions....so long as you keep it wet and cool and you won't get many casualties...a lot easier than Bait wells..or a Bait Creel...pluss it's not bouncing everywhere traveling between fishing locations...or if it cuts up
I also bought a Collapsable Floating Net Bait Cage which and can be used to "liven em up" if needed.
Over here we use live bait on most species, so having 20 big mackerel in the tub almost guaranties a good catch.

By having the overflow just over midway up the centre of gravity is kept low and I've yet to get any spillage how ever rough it gets.
Old 21 January 2017, 12:11   #5

[QUOTE=jonp;738433]Over here we use live bait on most species, so having 20 big mackerel in the tub almost guaranties a good catch.

That illustrates the difference with Ausi and British fishing....20 Big Mackrel IS a good catch this end!

Joking aside I use live Mackerel for Bait quite often for Bass...I know for you Guys it's certainly a lot more species you can go for!...
In a lot of respects Seems the people we sent over for "various reasons"... Have had the last Laugh!
Love to see pics of your catches sometime.

Old 21 January 2017, 14:04   #6

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Very clever.
Sadly Maximus isn't far off the mark!
Old 21 January 2017, 16:02   #7

Town: Iksal village
Boat name: C-Scanner
Make: rib520
Engine: suzuki70 df
John thank you so much for the lovely video! I have been struggling to find a way but didnot have a clear idea exactly how to do it-now i have one.

What still confuses me is why using bildge pump instead of livewell pump? simplier because it has only entrance of water or maybe no need to pump it manually to get air out so it then can suck water?

also, some claim that bildge pump is not built to keep working for long time so it won't survive alot of long hours operations..interesting if there is some truth in that...

by the way, what is the capacity of this bildge in the video? couldnot notice..

anyway, great and very abstract video..perfect!

sameh
Old 22 January 2017, 07:42   #8

Quote:
what do you mean by "wet hesian sack"?
you mean keeping it in water? what about when you drive the boat? how do you bring it to the boat and still keep the sand eels a live?
Old 22 January 2017, 09:48   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
what do you mean by "wet hesian sack"?
you mean keeping it in water? what about when you drive the boat? how do you bring it to the boat and still keep the sand eels a live?
No.
I keep the Sacks onboard,in an old Beer Crate....or Buffalo with Holes drilled in it,the main thing is to keep it wet/damp and cool...
Years ago I used to catch plenty of Sandeels (with a modified filleting knife) by raking it through sand a few inches below the surface in the intertidal zone on a Sandy beach in the Bristol Chanell ....they burrow in the Sand as the Tide goes out.
These are the conditions you're trying to replicate and they keep very well without the need for Buckets and air pumps ect...which I've also used in the past.
It helps if you can get the old fashioned thick HEAVY Hessian Sacks..if not you can use more...I layer them in the folds,but you don't have to be fussy.
I have also used a Creel...a wooden box with many holes drilled through where after you put the Eels in can be dipped on a regular basis and even towed at trolling speeds...the sack method works best for me

Old 22 January 2017, 09:54   #10

Thanks
Old 22 January 2017, 10:00   #11

Where you from Sameh?

Old 22 January 2017, 10:01   #12

Israel
Old 22 January 2017, 10:25   #13

Quote:
Israel

The Rib-Net casts Broad and Wide
Show us some of your catches sometime..

Old 22 January 2017, 10:35   #14

Quote:
John thank you so much for the lovely video! I have been struggling to find a way but didnot have a clear idea exactly how to do it-now i have one.

What still confuses me is why using bildge pump instead of livewell pump? simplier because it has only entrance of water or maybe no need to pump it manually to get air out so it then can suck water?

also, some claim that bildge pump is not built to keep working for long time so it won't survive alot of long hours operations..interesting if there is some truth in that...

by the way, what is the capacity of this bildge in the video? couldnot notice..

anyway, great and very abstract video..perfect!

sameh

I've never had a rule pump fale, they are the most commonly used pump over here (mine is just a small 500gh). They can even be run dry without any issues, they are also pretty cheap, paid $24 for the 500 which is about £16.

To keep baits healthy all day you really need to be constantly pumping clean water Into the tank, this also keeps the temperature the same as where they are going to be used.

The water being pumped in has more than enough oxygen with out needing air pumps, besides they were happy swimming in the ocean without an air pump.

Dead or injured fish need to be removed or all the fish can soon die. I used to collect fish species for an sea life centre in the U.K. And still collect a few unusual species for a similar place over here in Aus.

Jon
Old 22 January 2017, 16:38   #15

Quote:

The Rib-Net casts Broad and Wide
Show us some of your catches sometime..
hhh indeed it is
here there are not so many ribs..me being fond of this boat make me question my self whether i was born in the right place anyway, here in this lovely forum i came to the right place

attached for you a rare sword fish caught in 30 meter depth. more found in deep offshore waters of 200+m...
Old 22 January 2017, 16:41   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
I've never had a rule pump fale, they are the most commonly used pump over here (mine is just a small 500gh). They can even be run dry without any issues, they are also pretty cheap, paid $24 for the 500 which is about £16.

To keep baits healthy all day you really need to be constantly pumping clean water Into the tank, this also keeps the temperature the same as where they are going to be used.

The water being pumped in has more than enough oxygen with out needing air pumps, besides they were happy swimming in the ocean without an air pump.

Dead or injured fish need to be removed or all the fish can soon die. I used to collect fish species for an sea life centre in the U.K. And still collect a few unusual species for a similar place over here in Aus.

Jon
hi jon
do you think livewell pump wouldnot be able to do external circulation just as the bildge pump in your video? a question i always had...
Old 22 January 2017, 21:31   #17

Quote:
hi jon
do you think livewell pump wouldnot be able to do external circulation just as the bildge pump in your video? a question i always had...
Sorry I'm a little confused as a livewell pump is the same as a bilge pump over here. Thought you may of been talking about an air pump like what's used in aquariums. Livewell kits tend to have small pumps from rule or Johnson this side of the pond but most people use bigger pumps starting at a minimum of 500gh.

The link to your sword didn't show, try again. We get swords as well as most species of billfish in my area, here's one my daughter jumped in with recently.

Jon

Old 23 January 2017, 06:04   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
Sorry I'm a little confused as a livewell pump is the same as a bilge pump over here. Thought you may of been talking about an air pump like what's used in aquariums. Livewell kits tend to have small pumps from rule or Johnson this side of the pond but most people use bigger pumps starting at a minimum of 500gh.

The link to your sword didn't show, try again. We get swords as well as most species of billfish in my area, here's one my daughter jumped in with recently.

Jon

http://m.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Attwood-Co...%257Ciid%253A3

This is link for tsunami livewell pump.strange you have only bildge pumps..

Nice fish there..seeing that size makes me happy my link didnot work[emoji23]
Old 24 January 2017, 19:33   #19

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
They pump water from one place to another.
Bilge pump usually picks up water from inside the boat & throws it overboard whereas a baitwell pump picks up water from outside & throws it into the boat.
Appears to me that the main difference between the two is where you put the pickup & outlet hoses