Click Here to Login

Old 12 June 2007, 21:48   #21

Town: Bracknell
Boat name: Boatless and lost
Length: no boat
MMSI: Who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Yes. Where though? A board next to slipways and beach accesses might do it?
It might, or at the exit to marina's and river mouths.

At the end of the day I guess you could put notices, leaflets and advertisments in a million places and these tragedies will still happen. But, if one family think twice and wear lifejackets at a time when they really need them it will have been worth it.

Born to stuff!!
Phil Chitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2007, 21:58   #22
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Chitty View Post
It might, or at the exit to marina's and river mouths.

At the end of the day I guess you could put notices, leaflets and advertisments in a million places and these tragedies will still happen. But, if one family think twice and wear lifejackets at a time when they really need them it will have been worth it.
That's all the time though. I can't recall hearing of this kind of tragedy happening on rough days-people assume that it's safe because it's calm.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2007, 22:00   #23

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
The RNLI (as well as I'm sure other organisations) do try and get the sea safety / beach safety message across:

http://www.rnli.org.uk/what_we_do/se...d_beach_safety

As well as the marine media they do beach safety roadshows around the coast as well as school visits. Newer lifeboat stations in particular get lots of visitors and have advice leaflets available.

One of the other initiatives is a standardised beach / water safety signage system giving details of common and local hazards at beaches, slipways etc.

Chris
Old 12 June 2007, 23:11   #24

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Pending
Make: Pending
Sea safety

As a farther of two my hart go's out to the poor mother & other family, no one can even begin to imagen the pain they must be going through right now.
As a kid in the 70's i remember when my parent's used to take me on the yacht across the channel or raceing my sister & me had to where life harnace's clipped to the hand rails & that was it, i can remember leaning over the side when no one was watching once & falling over in lulworth & scareing the crap out of myself but it saved me & taught me not to do it again, no one in our sailing club seemed to where life jackets back then , my boy's wont get on the ponton without them cause that's the way we have taught them it has to be since they where born, in fact at the RYA Portland Sailing Academy there is a sign on the gangway saying if your under 12 you cannot go on the pontoons without a lifejacket! Killjoy? not in reflection of this sad sad story
Mike.

The Titanic was built by professionals - The Ark was built by one man!
www.aqua-care.co.uk
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2007, 23:26   #25

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I think kids lose a sense of danger if they are protected too much. Kids will be kids and they will seek adventure in their own ways even more if they are wrapped in too much cotton wool.

When I was little I always used to do the exact opposite of what I was told. I used to climb everything in sight and was always being shouted at - you will kill yourself etc etc. It just never sank in. Then when I was 8 I fell off a 3 story building onto concrete - I didn't even cry when I landed but later on I couldn't move my arm. Turned out I had broken my humerus - very lucky really - could easily have been my back or skull.

No doubt my parents blamed themselves but there was nothing they could have done. Short of locking me up there was no real solution - even a good few hammerings never taught me - just had to learn for myself. Still didn't stop me though - 6 months later my brother and I jumped out of the back of a mini moke doing 60mph across the concrete like desert. Dad only noticed that I was very quiet - would love to have seen his face when he turned around and we had gone. Again both very lucky - me not a scratch and brother with a cut knee - couldn't sit down for a week though!!!

I quite understand people being over protective of their kids - I am exactly the same but just remember back to YOUR childhood and ask yourselves - were YOUR parents really irresponsible???
Old 12 June 2007, 23:33   #26

Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
It is indeed sad for the famiy.

At one stage we never wore seat belts in cars, now it would seem strange not doing so. . .

Over in Ireland it became compulory to wear a lifejacket after an accident a few years back...

Regs .....

• Everyone on board a pleasure craft of less than 7 metres (23 feet) in length must wear a lifejacket/personal flotation device.

• Lifejackets/personal flotation devices must be worn by those up to the age of 16 years on all pleasure craft.

Like seat belts in cars it is just done now without people thinking an accepted as the norm.
Old 13 June 2007, 21:02   #27

Town: Nr Tring
Boat name: Braveheart
Make: Porters Renegade
Engine: Tohatsu 140
I do agree that we don't want to be killjoys and I do worry that the young generation (how old do I sound?) are becoming so protected that they are not prepared for 'real' life.

I have been brought up on boats all my life and, yes, as a child I didn't always wear a lifejacket, however:-

1) When on a cruise - we wore lifejackets;
2) When in the tender or small boat without lifelines - we wore lifejackets;
3) At the age of 5 I was an incredibly strong swimmer, my dad taught me in Chichester harbour which has lethal tides and he taught me the importance on knowing the tides.
4) Until I could swim really well - I wore a lifejacket all the time.

This tragedy is awful, but I have been able to use this to educate my daughter into the reasons why I'm a ratbag when it comes to wearing a lifejacket and I will ensure that I teach her about tides and how to swim really well.

When on the RIB, it is very easy for children (and adults for that matter) to get separated really quickly, therefore, when at sea, all people on my boat will be asked to wear a life jacket or preserver. When I say sea, I mean in any water!
Old 13 June 2007, 21:19   #28
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Glad to see no one is jumping to conclusions in the absence of the facts!

I am sure in due course the MAIB report will be suitably richeous and scornful about the lack of lifejackets - but will do so having obtained all the available facts rather than speculation. They will also presumably pass comment on the liklihood that it might have actually saved lives in this situation - as well as looking at all the other effects which have contributed to this tragedy.

Oh - and signs at slipways won't make any difference Phil, if you work in health and safety I would have thought you were familiar with the effect where having seen a sign lots of time it becomes part of the background and no longer noticed. The same happens with road signs. Presumably there is a technical name for this information fatigue.

We all have to asses the risk in everything we do and unfortunately sometimes we will get that assesment wrong.
Old 13 June 2007, 21:20   #29

Town: Bracknell
Boat name: Boatless and lost
MMSI: Who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackeen View Post
It is indeed sad for the famiy.

At one stage we never wore seat belts in cars, now it would seem strange not doing so. . .

Over in Ireland it became compulory to wear a lifejacket after an accident a few years back...

Regs .....

• Everyone on board a pleasure craft of less than 7 metres (23 feet) in length must wear a lifejacket/personal flotation device.

• Lifejackets/personal flotation devices must be worn by those up to the age of 16 years on all pleasure craft.

Like seat belts in cars it is just done now without people thinking an accepted as the norm.

Do you know how this came about?

What did it take for this legislation to be passed.

Born to stuff!!
Phil Chitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2007, 21:40   #30

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
The same happens with road signs. Presumably there is a technical name for this information fatigue.
Don't know about a 21st century name, But keeps the Road sign Supervisor in a job I suppose.

Back to the original thread now. And condolences to the family.
Old 13 June 2007, 21:54   #31

Town: Carterton, Oxon
Boat name: Trigger's Broom
Make: FRib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 15hp 2/s
Send a message via Yahoo to Noddy
At the end of the day a two year old lad has died. Although the facts arent clear yet he apparently was not wearing a life jacket. His Father died too but he had a choice?
Martyn
Old 13 June 2007, 22:54   #32

Town: Cork
Boat name: Dalesman
Make: Excalibur 6.8
Engine: Merc 1.7 diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Chitty View Post
Do you know how this came about?

What did it take for this legislation to be passed.
If I recall it became law after a 25' fishing boat overloaded with Friends & children turned turtle off Co Wexford with the loss of several lives. no lifejackets were on board. sea state was calm, misty .
I would say there is a 95% compliance rate.