Old 03 January 2011, 22:06   #1

Town: surrey
Make: Ribcraft, bombard
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 60,tohatsu 3.5.
light weight tender???

has anyone had any experience with keeping a small and light weight tender on-board a 5m rib ? i'm thinking of getting something like this http://www.force4.co.uk/5771/Plastim...le-Dinghy.html to use as the tender when camping etc

i would be very great full for any advise or opinions on this?

eliot
Old 04 January 2011, 08:08   #2

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
I've been half looking at this problem too. Only conclusions so far are that there's lots of stuff out there for around that sort of money, and "roundtail" wil lbe a bit more flexible in it's folded shape, although Ironically the most obvious place to store it on my Humber would make next to s*d all difference if it had a transdom or not!

I also wondered about a secondhand Avon Redstart/crest (I forget which is the smaller) as they also seem to go on Ebay for that kind of dosh. Maybe a bit heavier, but has the advantage that it is also Hyplaon, so one repair kit fits all!
Old 04 January 2011, 11:17   #3

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I used a inflateable tender (small SIB) to get to my boat for a few years now. I found get as big as you physically can as otherwise they can be a little ' wobbly' with anything more than 1 person in and take water in very easily.

Most have folded dimensions on the web - but add another 10cm all round for size when actually used!

I used a Bombard AX3 (now owned by another RIBneter) , and an AX2 - the AX2 folded up smaller than the 3 but was still 'iffy' with more then 1 adult and a small child. Both would fit in theback of my 4m RIB well.

Something like this would be what I'd do again

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bombard-AX3-Bo...item3cb3302fdb

They are not cheap - when the AX2 was stolen I got an Excel SD260 with air floor new for £400......

MUCH bigger when folded than the bombards ( either) but much more usable by the kids/ me etc on rivers and in harbours and far more 'sea' worthy.

Just my thoughts.....
Old 04 January 2011, 20:37   #4

Town: surrey
Make: Ribcraft, bombard
Engine: Yam 60,tohatsu 3.5.
thanks, some good points i think i'm going to keep an eye on ebey and see if i can get something about 2.5m with a transom so i can put my 3.5 hp aux on it. thanks again
Old 04 January 2011, 21:22   #5

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Avon Redcrest is a big old boat. Rolled up, they're bulky, heavy and not much smaller than a Rover R2.80. The Redstart is a fair bit smaller & lighter, so may be more suitable for storing on a small(ish) RIB.

I bought a Wetline 180 (about the size of a pile cushion ) a few months ago for short tender journeys to/from beaches. This packs up nice and small and doesn't weigh much, but it's only rated for 1 adult (+maybe a child?) and doesn't have the option of fitting an outboard bracket.
Old 04 January 2011, 21:40   #6

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
I actually use my old (bought new one) Redstart as an onboard tender. I deflat the stern then put the bow into the bow oft] the rib and fold over the stern part. Tie down makes a nice soft seat for the kids. It works a quick pump up when we reach and off we go. My mate also does the same ok it does take up space but it is right up at the bow so not interfering with the main body of the boat. Hope this helps.
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 January 2011, 12:37   #7
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
The guy with the humber called "Moonraker" or something like that manages with his on a 5m something I think.

Incidentally, on Sark last year both our Zodiac cadet 2.6m and Pete's old AX3 came into action, although they were roughly the same sized and we used the same engine on both, the Zodiac was significantly more stable. However the trade off for this greater stability is the fact that it has "oversized tubes" in comparison to the Bombard it packs up nowhere near as neatly and although they both have solid transoms the little bow seat where Trevor stored the AX would never have taken our Cadet.

Incidentally we feel that our cadet is a bit big for storing on board, and even though she sites neatly on the fordeck () it is a hassle to setup and take down. We also carry our 3.3hp Mercury on board and this has proved very easy to stow and does not budge in heavy weather so when looking around for something smaller with a soft stern, we wanted the possibility of a transom bracket. The best we found was the Seapro - can't find a link atm but where we saw them was at the first chandler next to the english harbour on jersey. Perhaps one of the CI boys could confirm the brand? a 3.2m with a soft transom packed down alot smaller than our cadet, and even with the loss of stability, ferrying duties would still be managable and we could keep the cadet for river exploring possibilities (along with my seagull as soon as I finish it

Incidentally... here's a link to my "accident in our cadet last year Click on to see what happened next.....

edit: It's alystra with moonraker who has the tender
Old 05 January 2011, 14:12   #8

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
"accident in our cadet last year
Haha you kept that one quiet!

I'm not sure of the point of these big tenders with outboards etc on a 6/7m Rib. The rib's going to get you just about anywhere, surely the tender would only be required for 50-100yd trips with 1 or 2 pob between the rib and the beach?

When required, I carry a Waveco 1.85 round tail and a pair of oars. Admittedly it's not as stable as your average 3m Avon but I can get in and out from the big boat quite safely, it fits under my suicide seat easily,inflates with a foot pump in 2mins and weighs about 15kgs!
Old 05 January 2011, 14:52   #9

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
Perhaps one of the CI boys could confirm the brand? a 3.2m with a soft transom packed down alot smaller than our cadet, and even with the loss of stability, ferrying duties would still be managable
You're probably referring to Seago tenders. I had a cheapo Wetline a few years back that was fine, but after 5 years out in the sun it started to go tacky as the plasticisers in the PVC migrated. I replaced it with a Seago last year which is a similar cheapy make. I looked at a decent Avon or Lodestar Hypalon, but decided better to buy a new cheap one every 5 yrs, especially as they get worn and damaged being dragged around and up the beach. I occasionally carry my 2.3 Seago with solid transom on board, but it is hard to manhandle and inflate sometimes. I would have gone round tail, but I find transom wheels absolutely fantastic for wheeling the dinghy and all our luggage down the beach to the boat before going off on trips. I rarely use the outboard on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
When required, I carry a Waveco 1.85 round tail and a pair of oars.
That sounds like the 'billy no mates' sized one that Lodestar do. Great idea when you don't need to carry other people or luggage ashore.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote