Old 12 September 2010, 13:59   #1

Town: Guernsey
Make: Pending
Length: 8m +
Lifejackets

Hi, I am looking to get new lifejackets. I have been made aware of the following:
- Ocean safety-KRU
- Crewsaver (crewsaver.co.uk)
- Seasafe (www.seasafe.co.uk)

Can anyone give me an opinion on these, or even others if they are better.

Thanks,
Cuttlefish
Old 12 September 2010, 14:43   #2

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Crewsaver are regarded as a leading brand for lifejackets. I've had a few and they are well made, look nice, feel comfortable etc. The only downside is they tend to be quite expensive.

The Kru model which looks like a waistcoat is a great design especially for people who aren't used to wearing a lifejacket - its easy to put on and adjust. I know a few other charter operators use these for that reason and they're something that I will strongly consider buying when the time comes to changing from my current lot.

I am yet to come across a lifejacket that is badly made. Obviously they all have to pass the same type approval etc so are all going to be up to a certain standard. Some as you probably know are much more comfortable to wear for long periods of time. I personally wear a Spinlock which is very comfortable (I wear this for 6/7 hours a day every day during the summer). By contrast I bought a few Typhoon ones a few years ago that were really uncomfortable - they used to rub against the neck which was most unpleasant.

My advice would be to go to the boatshow or somewhere like the marine superstore where you can have a good look at the jacket, try it on, see how easy it is to adjust etc before committing to a purchase.

PS. Something else to look at is cost and availability of recharge kits. Hammer ones can be a bit more difficult to get hold of. Cost probably isn't so much of an issue if you're a leisure user but when using Hammer models commercially it becomes expensive as the recharge kits are just under £30 a pop.
Old 12 September 2010, 15:17   #3

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
I got a set of four Hammar ones (the red Reflex type) from here http://www.lifejackets.co.uk/categor...ic-lifejackets

fit fine seem comfortable enough, not had to use one in anger yet but they seem well made, mine are due for new Hammar units next year

Mine were on special offer at £199 so better value than the current price

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2010, 15:30   #4

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Been wearing one of these ;

http://www.crewsaver.co.uk/Home/NEW_...ets/index.html

on Sea Safari all summer for something around 1700 miles (ish) - very very comfy in all gear from t-short to full on wet weather gear.

Cant rate it highly enough ( and Steve for getting them ! ) and a bit 'more' than the std 150N.......

Pete
Old 12 September 2010, 18:47   #5

Town: Essex
Boat name: Cetacean Protector
Make: Plasteco Milano
Engine: 75hp
Just to add to the confusion, we use these (the rib 150) which are a superb bit of kit - especially because (a) there's back protection, and if you're thrown from a rib there's a fair chance your back will impact first, and (b) in the winter they do have some thermal protection properties. Additionally, because they're manual, you won't get unwanted inflations should you need to enter the water, but you will benefit from the additional inherant bouyancy.

Maybe a bit OTT if you're purely leisure, though, but don't discount the thought.
Old 12 September 2010, 20:56   #6
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Engine: 50 HP
The Best Lifejacket out there.....is a Lifejacket that you wear!

Crewsaver = Only you can use crewsaver parts..

Life Jacket Feature you must get:
  • Automatic Activation
  • Crotch Strap/Thigh Strap - Double or Single
  • Spray hood - Stops you drowning.
  • Life Jacket Light
Hydrostatic - good if you going to get soaked constant, downside to rearm, you need to replace a canister with a 1 inch hole in life Jacket - means you really should do a 24hr inflation test after installing, ie useless if it activates on day out, unless you have spare jacket.

Other brands to consider:

www.baltic.se
www.secumar.com

What clothing you wearing? If Dry Suit regardless what crewsaver says, you should buy a 275N, if not wearing a dry suit 150N lifejacket is sufficient for most people.

If in doubt talk to your local RNLI Sea Safety Advisor, they should be able to talk you through why i stated the above advice.

But make sure it fits you!

regards

Scott
Old 12 September 2010, 21:18   #7

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
If Dry Suit regardless what crewsaver says, you should buy a 275N, if not 150N lifejacket is suffeicent for most people.
Should this be the other way round?
Old 12 September 2010, 21:25   #8
SPR

275 N = Dry Suit, or Heavy Protective Clothing, Offshore use.
150 N = Normal Clothing, Normal waterproofs.

Regards

Scott
Old 12 September 2010, 21:36   #9

Wouldn't a drysuit give additional buoyancy over normal waterproofs by holding air inside the suit? Therefore requiring less buoyancy from a lifejacket?
Old 12 September 2010, 21:40   #10
SPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
Wouldn't a drysuit give additional buoyancy over normal waterproofs by holding air inside the suit? Therefore requiring less buoyancy from a lifejacket?
the buoyancy is not in the right place, so you need a 275n lifejacket to counter act the dry suit and to make sure it rights you if face down or feet up!
Old 12 September 2010, 21:44   #11

Quote:
the buoyancy is not in the right place, so you need a 275n lifejacket to counter act the dry suit and to make sure it rights you if face down or feet up!
Ah! Every day's a skool day
Old 13 September 2010, 08:28   #12

Town: Boat Lake Geneva
Boat name: Lark
Make: Capelli Cap 32 WA
Length: 10m +
Engine: Yamaha 250x2
MMSI: 235096621
or make sure you have most of the air out of the dry suit by crouching down and letting the air out of the neck. You do tend to look a bit vacuumed packed when you stand up though!!! This technique works with my Musto HPX suits.

But when I come to replace may current life jackets I will buy the Crewsaver 190N's.
Old 13 September 2010, 08:51   #13
SPR

the crewsavers 190n, lifejacket is still only certified to 150N, since 150n or 275n are the only standards...as I said in original post despite what crewsaver says... 275n lifejacket is the recommend size for dry suit...

this is the advice from RNLI who have no vested interest in selling any product. why take chance with life...

and those who don't wear a lifejacket, the insurance company will not pay new till 7 years after death if no body is found, you can thank the missing kayaker who faked his death for this one.

so not only does your loved ones lose you, they lose the house and any income for 7 years.

scott
Old 13 September 2010, 09:50   #14
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
the crewsavers 190n, lifejacket is still only certified to 150N, since 150n or 275n are the only standards...as I said in original post despite what crewsaver says... 275n lifejacket is the recommend size for dry suit...
Scott - I don't care what it is "certified" to do - I care what it does. Therefore the 190N jacket presumably provides more buoyancy than a 150N jacket without being as difficult to move around in (inflated) as a 275N. I'm not sure how crewsaver came up with 190N but it doesn't seem like a "round" number - so I guess there has at least been some thought to it - if only from the marketing department.

Quote:
this is the advice from RNLI who have no vested interest in selling any product. why take chance with life...
Thats the sort of "preaching" I would expect from Sea Safety Advisors and I was shot down in flames a few weeks ago for suggesting was my expectation... but I've heard quite a few people say that getting out the water in a 275N jacket is no mean feat. There are downsides to having too much buoyancy - indeed the "Army Cadets" probably thought no harm in having "extra Newtons" before their tragic accident in the Western Isles.

Then you need to balance the relatively low probability event of ending up in the water and relying on the difference between 150 and 275 N to save your life versus the much more likely scenario of accidentally falling in and being fished back out possibly with some difficulty due to the size then having to pay to rearm the bigger more expensive jacket. Likewise if you accidentally trigger it when launching/recovering etc. One of the possible consequences of this is people removing their lifejacket when doing activities that might mean the end up in the water (e.g. leaning over the back to free a snagged rope from the prop, puling a swimmer/skier out the water, trying to get up a slippy harbour ladder etc) - when the perceived "cost" or rearming and the "hassle" of being "trapped" in a 275N jacket is much higher than the perceived risk of going in the drink in a "safe" environment . I'm not sure the RNLI want to encourage people to remove lifejackets at the wrong moment. The relative risks vary with the type of activity - clearly an offshore single-handed sailor or a sib "beach hopping" with the family in relatively nice weather experience very different scenarios - but both may well be wearing a dry suit whether it is for comfort, safety or "style".

I'm not sure why the RNLI have decided its better to present it is clear cut - when in reality its probably not.

It would be much more compelling for the manufacturers or the "sea safety" people to demonstrate for real the pro's and con's of each. In the age of youtube that sounds like something easy to do. Crotch strap type demos should be easy too. I guess it may(?) be included in a Sea Survival course - but only a small fraction of people will do that.
Old 13 September 2010, 10:34   #15

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Consider that you can deflate jackets to ease getting out of the water. But if you dont have enough 'newtons' to keep you up to start with you cant add them in once in the water if you never had them to start with ............ a partially deflated 150N kept me up in full wet gear - infact a 50N built in to a jacket also kept me up (but not face up) .....

If you want a good day out and to learn a huge amount do the sea survival course........
Old 13 September 2010, 12:31   #16
SPR

Neil, my first bit if advice is the best life jacket is the one that you wear!

the army cadet, had a 480 N life jacket!

I been on both Sea Survival and RNlI lifejacket course...I am giving you the official advice.

I did also say in thread if in doubt ask for advice from an advisor. We don't preach but advise.

The reason the buoyancy aid is 50 N is that an average person weighs 5kg in sea water.

add gravity, you 50 N , is roughly the right amount to make your body neutral in water. hence it's a buoyancy aid.

150N life jacket , I stated will be suffeint for most people in most circumstances.

275 N is the only Jacket that will guarantee to right a dry suit, it's bulky, slightly heavier , makes getting into life raft more difficult, but you can always deflate it slightly if need.

The new crewsavers 190N might be better, but then again, why have other companies not do the same?

the perception is more is better, but as usaul the proper equipment for right situation..
Old 13 September 2010, 15:25   #17
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Quote:
The new crewsavers 190N might be better, but then again, why have other companies not do the same?
They are doing - there are 160s, 175, 190, 225s - as mentioned previously it fills the gap between a 'lightwieght' 150 that you can move around in easily, and a bulky 275 that is uncomfortable if you spend any time in it.

I wear a 150N lifejacket (Omega - Lazilas?) when out on my boat - and at the end of the day, I've often forgotten that I'm still wearing it (a bit embarrasing in the pub)!! The 275N crewsaver jacket I wear otherwise is bulky and uncomfortable - and I take it off when I'm in the wheelhouse. The intermediate sizes might allow some users to find a jacket that's comfortable - but with more than the 150N that is standard.

I've yet to find a comfortable 275N jacket - they are just too bulky.

The only advice I'd give is that when you've found one you like -check how much the recharge/servicing kit is and how easy it is to get hold of them. One of the new jackets (I think it's the Secumar one) has a refill 'cartridge' system, which is very expensive to replace/service.
Old 13 September 2010, 16:20   #18

Town: Guernsey
Make: Pending
Thanks

for the replies, guys.
Old 13 September 2010, 16:59   #19

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
I've got a Viking SOLAS 1, these are now being offered with a built in pull down spray hood, very sensible idea. They arent cheap but they are well made and robust.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vikingsolas1.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	54135  
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2010, 17:25   #20
SPR

i use a secumar survival 275N life jacket with my dry suit - had it on for hours at the time very comfortable, compact...i had it on for complete week from 0800hrs to 1800 hrs for 7 days when doing safety cover for the Great Glen Raid corpach to inverness along the canal.

www.secumar.com

If you go down this route, i suggest you buy re-arming kits, since these are NOT popular in UK by leisure, but used extensively in the commercial sector.

If possible try different ones on and move about, bend down etc...or if you can borrow a mates for a trip.

regards

Scott