Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by piranha580 View Post
Just before Christmas I picked up 2x 275N Seago auto inflate lifejackets, with crotch straps integral spray hoods and automatic lights here in Dublin for 120euro each.. Damn good I reckon! Marine parts direct in Swords, Co.Dublin ...
I bought 4x 175N Seago auto lifejackets in 2007 with crotch straps, etc. When Seago discovered a manufacturing fault with some of their lifejackets, they were very professional in recalling and replacing effected stock. Would recommend.
Old 03 January 2011, 21:22   #22

Town: Dublin, Ireland
Boat name: Voodoo1
Make: Piranha
Length: 5m +
Engine: new Suzuki DF90
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
I bought 4x 175N Seago auto lifejackets in 2007 with crotch straps, etc. When Seago discovered a manufacturing fault with some of their lifejackets, they were very professional in recalling and replacing effected stock. Would recommend.
Yep I agree, we had 2 jackets too that were recalled and there was no drama.. They even gave us the next model up because that particular model was out of stock at the time.. 
Old 03 January 2011, 22:26   #23

Town: Drøbak
Make: RIBTECH 9,5
Length: 9m +
Engine: Volvo D6 370
Lifejacket

Ive used both regatta crewsaver and several othher vests, but my favourite
Now is Spinlock. Used it for 3 years now, summer and winter.
Still looks great, and is comfortable to wear.

Roy
Old 04 January 2011, 12:21   #24

Length: 10m +
Engine: Ideally twins
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250kts View Post
Another vote for the Crewsaver 190N, I bought several for the crew to wear and over the summer. They were very comfortable and gave no trouble at all. I think Pete M will vouch for this too.

Steve
I'd also vote for the Crewsaver 190N. Very comfortable.
Old 04 January 2011, 14:40   #25

Town: Cowes
Boat name: No name
Make: None at present
Length: no boat
In my humble opinion there is only one lifejacket, currently available, which meets the description of the thread and that is the Spinlock Deckvest. There is a five year warranty, incredible web based back up, the unit is extremely comfortable and there is a choice between manual and auto inflation. I bought one after reading the description of an incident off St Catherines where a man overboard was in the water for 20 minutes and his total confidence in the lifejacket and sprayhood. There are cheaper products but I have never seen such a well designed and constructed piece of kit (and no, I'm nothing to do with the company)
Old 04 January 2011, 14:42   #26

In my humble opinion there is only one lifejacket, currently available, which meets the description of the thread and that is the Spinlock Deckvest. There is a five year warranty, incredible web based back up, the unit is extremely comfortable and there is a choice between manual and auto inflation. I bought one after reading the description of an incident off St Catherines where a man overboard was in the water for 20 minutes and his total confidence in the lifejacket and sprayhood. There are cheaper products but I have never seen such a well designed and constructed piece of kit (and no, I'm nothing to do with the company)
Old 04 January 2011, 14:44   #27

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250kts View Post
Another vote for the Crewsaver 190N, I bought several for the crew to wear and over the summer. They were very comfortable and gave no trouble at all. I think Pete M will vouch for this too.

Steve
Very very comfy. I have faith in crewsaver as a brand and these jackets never ever got in the way when I was moving around the boat a huge amount.

If I was buying my own again now for serious boating I'd get these with no hesitation.

Pete
Old 05 January 2011, 09:08   #28

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Shore View Post
In my humble opinion there is only one lifejacket, currently available, which meets the description of the thread and that is the Spinlock Deckvest.
£250 for the Hammar version with the hood!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 January 2011, 12:02   #29

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
I had a Crewsaver 150N which was bought in about 1992, and always washed down at the end of the trip, test inflated every so often, and cylinder weighed to check for gas leaks.

20 (!) years later the only thing that retired it was the cost of the repalcement "dunk sensor" for that model -the cost of the spare part is now more than a new jacket! I'll tell you how the new jacket performs later in the year...

Personally, I'd see what's in your local chandlers & choose based on what you are going to do with it. E.G. a full offshore harness with attatchement strap & built in EPRIB is a bit of a waste of money if you always cruise in company. Likewise a bouyancy aid is perfect if you spend most of your rib time in a wetsuit as a rescue boat for the local sailing club.....

Bottom line - it's like any equipment. Best for me could be your worst nightmare. Whatever you buy, look after it & it will look after you.
Old 06 January 2011, 16:53   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
£250 for the Hammar version with the hood!
Internet price £169.99 - you get what you pay for........
Old 06 January 2011, 17:07   #31
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
built in EPRIB
I assume you mean a built in PLB? I didn't know boats had their own lifejackets (there is a difference!)

On topic though, we've used a selection of lifejackets over the years, both in aviation and on the boat. On the boat we have used a selection of LJs firstly the Zodiac Sailmate or something, came free with the Pro and totally unsuited to RIBs, the salt activated mechanism has gone of countless times and the one time I actually fell in the water it failed to inflate properly, this we later found out was because the salt tablet system was so rare, when we had last had the unit repacked & had a new cylinder it had not been done correctly so half the gas had leaked and it only inflated to a fraction of what it should have. Useless if I had been unconcious

Nowadays we use bog standard Marinepools with hammar 20n inflation and retrofitted crotch straps. Looking to add spray hood and possibly light as of tomorrow - boatshow.

Incidentally, has anyone noticed how in the glossy promos the bikini clad bunch lounged on the sundeck now sport aviation type LJs, tucked in their little pouch around their waist, fine in an aircraft with time to put them over your head but useless with cold water shock etc. seems like the manufacturers are just jumping through a hoop whilst actually setting a bad example, the pouch type LJs cant save your life when their tucked up on your waist.
Old 06 January 2011, 17:18   #32

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
I assume you mean a built in PLB? I didn't know boats had their own lifejackets (there is a difference!)
As I understand it, all PLB's are EPIRB's but not all EPIRB's are PLB's. Comprende?
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 January 2011, 08:01   #33

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
EPRIB= Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon

As Erin says, it doesn't specify what it's locating in the emergency.

I was only trying to illustrate a point........
Old 24 January 2011, 12:41   #34

Length: 7m +
I would recommend ensuring whichever lifejacket you buy ensure it has a spray cover