Old 24 March 2009, 18:59   #21

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
No reply yet. I'll chase it up . . .
John, you could give Mark at the MCA a ring. He has helped Ribnet out a couple of times. Last occurance was something about charter ribs on the IOW when he put the local council back in there box over needing local boatmans licencing and the commercially endorsed RYA ones didn't count.

He has also posted on here over something else but got a bit of a hard time when he put his head over the top.

His work number is 02380 329327

Pete
Old 25 March 2009, 19:44   #22

Town: Towcester
Boat name: TBA
Make: Delta
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
4 men arrested....

4 men arrested
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13032009(001).jpg
Views:	497
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	41445  
Old 25 March 2009, 20:11   #23

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
This is a joke . Isn't it ?
Old 25 March 2009, 21:49   #24

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
if its a joke its well organised ,eye protection,hand protection ,bucket of water ,extinguishers ,all facing downwind.unless its some new religeous sect.though looking at a lit flare is good for tempory vision loss if you are then looking out for potential rescuers .
Old 25 March 2009, 21:49   #25

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Try an Italian football match if you really want some decent red flare action
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2009, 22:30   #26

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Just wait for the G20 summit in London in April - you can chuck them at boats that WILL harress you for pottering along the Thames - i bet a RIB will be seen as fair game!!!
Old 28 March 2009, 17:10   #27

Town: Towcester
Boat name: TBA
Make: Delta
Engine: Suzuki 175
So it made some of you look twice

Hi There
So that image made some of you look twice.
Well spotted re the safety glasses/gloves etc

I believe the school rang the coastgaurd both before and after the 'test'

good to have tried them.
Paul
Old 30 March 2009, 22:26   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Beaurain View Post
Hi There
So that image made some of you look twice.
Well spotted re the safety glasses/gloves etc

I believe the school rang the coastgaurd both before and after the 'test'

good to have tried them.
Paul
though were still trying to work out if the guy in the blue jumper has his neck on fire ,
Old 30 April 2009, 22:09   #29
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
John, did you manage to find any more info?
Old 01 May 2009, 09:03   #30
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Thanks for the reminder. I did get a reply from David Lee from the Maritime & Coastguard Agency Enforcement Unit.

Here are some excerpts from his emails:

"As you are aware of the Distress Signals and Prevention of Collisions regs, I won't go further on those other that they apply if the signal is fired from, or near a vessel. ('near would come into debate if other vessels were in the vicinity such as busy Solent, Portsmouth Harbour, harbour or coastal areas etc)"

Looking at the Distress Signals and Prevention of Collisions regs I can't find any reference to "near a vessel". He wasn't able to provide a reference for this, so I suspect it may be the normal bluster. I stand to be corrected though.

"I am not a lawyer, but I can say that there have been successful prosecutions that have been made by police forces when flares have been set off inland. These have been offences under the Firearms Act 1968 as pyrotechnics can fall under the definition under s57. Other offences include, wasting police time, breaches of the peace, public disorder, Explosives Substances Act 1874. Each case would have to be looked at on merit and generally will be vigorously pursued."

I'm sure that this is true to some extent, but would be very unlikely to apply to responsible test firing or demo. More bluster.

From his followup email:

"There is no 'specific' legislation, each case would be looked at on merit. With regard to demos etc these are dealt with on a local basis by HM Coastguard MRCCs and Sector Managers. Approved demonstrations are normally with white or green pyros so as not to attract 999 alerts and reports from aircraft.

If anyone was contemplating a demonstration, my advice would be to contact the local MRCC well in advance."

Probably so they can try to tell you that it's illegal!

The MCGA understandably don't like the idea of people firing off distress flares, but done responsibly there shouldn't be any problem. Personally, I would be inclined to follow the procedure as outlined by Doug Stormforce

Just for the record, this is my understanding of the situation but I'm not a lawyer. If you end up in jail it's your own problem!
Old 01 May 2009, 10:57   #31

Thanks John - good stuff ( if a lot of bluster as you say ). Based on this whats the chance of a ribnet flare demo someplace & time ?

I can see some open land near a pub named after Winston Churchill , on top of a hill appearing through the mist ( or is that flare smoke? ) ...............
Old 01 May 2009, 15:07   #32

Town: glasgow
Boat name: n/a
Make: n/a
Length: no boat
Engine: n/a
flares

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Can anyone point me to the legislation that makes firing of distress flares on land an offence?

So far, all I can come up with is the Distress Signals and Prevention of Collisions regulations which apply only to distress signals fired from a vessel.

I've just put this in a separate thread as it got a bit lost in the big distress flare discussion!
I think you could be prosecuted under the firearms act every body has covered just about every marine option and near airfields and military establishments [ same as the use of lasers ] you used to be able too hand old [out of date flares] in to mca or rnli for disposal but thats been stopped
Old 01 May 2009, 17:27   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
Based on this whats the chance of a ribnet flare demo someplace & time ?
Just ask the RNLI Sea Safety guys - they'll organise and put on a demo for you, and provide the flares, all the organisation, permissions etc etc, and no charge.

Why risk prosecution (or even simply p*ssing off the Coastguard) when there is a system already in place?
Tel; 07525 012 013
Old 04 May 2009, 18:40   #34
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedafloat View Post
I think you could be prosecuted under the firearms act every body has covered just about every marine option and near airfields and military establishments [ same as the use of lasers ]
Why do you think that? Is it based on any specific legislation?
Old 04 May 2009, 18:41   #35
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSkills View Post
Just ask the RNLI Sea Safety guys - they'll organise and put on a demo for you, and provide the flares, all the organisation, permissions etc etc, and no charge.

Why risk prosecution (or even simply p*ssing off the Coastguard) when there is a system already in place?
Because they won't let you fire the flares, and there's no risk of prosecution because it's not illegal.

If you go about things sensibly, and have the courtesy to let the Coastguard what you are doing, then there's no reason for them to be pissed off either,
Old 04 May 2009, 20:06   #36

regards to the lazer types our local police helicopter is supposidly being fitted with a gadet that can track the point of fire owing to some clown aiming one at an inbound passenger jet from a parked car at the end of the runway at our local airport that tempory blinded the pilot .,,but as in anythng if its if it is willfully aimed at some one or some thing to cause harm or damageits against the law but apart from the old very pistol types i am not too sure if normal distress flares rocket or hand helds are classed as fire arms ,its a grey area but i was told that a firearm has to have a projectile fired from a barrel, with the rocket types the plastic outer sleave is only for protection and is not classed as a barrell as in theory its the barrel that shoots out and not the other way around ,is there any one out there that can clear this grey area up regarding the firearms law .i have also being looking into the eventual phase out of the pyrotecnic flares and it seems that its the chemical residues left after burning that seems to be causing concern with authorities ,
Old 18 November 2009, 20:32   #37

So to drag this up again . My inshore flares expire in Dec - so I have emailed my local RNLI station and had no reply. As a result I intend to drive someway inland and set the things off in a freinds field / farm - well away from anyone or thing.

If I never post again I have burnt to death using these deadly things we all carry.

Pete
Old 18 November 2009, 20:47   #38

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
So to drag this up again . My inshore flares expire in Dec - so I have emailed my local RNLI station and had no reply. As a result I intend to drive someway inland and set the things off in a freinds field / farm - well away from anyone or thing.

If I never post again I have burnt to death using these deadly things we all carry.

Pete
What are your local Lifeboat Station meant to do with them? We had a load of out of date ones on station and the bom squad was down for a UXB. Even they wouldn't take them as we had too many.
Old 18 November 2009, 21:08   #39

Quote:

Pete
The RNLI aren't allowed to take them. Try the Coastguard - in most areas they will still take small numbers of flares from leisure (not commercial) users. In some areas around us the police will take them, but that doesn't always work very well
Tel; 07525 012 013
Old 18 November 2009, 21:22   #40

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
They sink....