Old 14 December 2005, 20:04   #1

Town: St Helier JERSEY
Boat name: Barney
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 350 Yamaha
Leaving sailing and need rib for family

We currently sail a Sadler 29 from Jersey, and have 3 kids (8,6,1). Love sailing, but not working out with family. Never enough time to get to France.

I've been on lots of ribs, and sportsboats, and am absolutely convinced that a rib is right for Jersey (usually F4+ for most of the year!).

So, can I pick your brains about the right rib to go for. We've got a budget of £30k.

1. Should we go twin-engines - security of extra engine for cross-channel passages would be really appreciated.
2. Should we go for 8m+, given the conditions we can expect?
3. Should we go new or used?
4. What manufacturer would you recommend?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Phil
Old 14 December 2005, 20:31   #2

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Personally I recommend Ribcraft www.ribcraft.co.uk

I don't think you are going to get much of an 8m boat for 30k though - but I could be wrong...
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2005, 21:04   #3

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Personally I would send Charles (ct01) a pm and offer to take him out for lunch. The cost of the lunch would easily be recouped with straight forward advice and experience ribbing in the CI. Yes he lives in Jersey too.

Pete
Old 14 December 2005, 21:49   #4

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Hi Phil, welcome to Ribnet!

Hmmm, Sadler 29? Lovely yacht! You will be horrified to find that a quality RIB 8m+ will blow your budget - do you want to buy new?

Taking Charles out for lunch is a great idea, but he has expensive taste and will probably do his "throwing your wallet in the harbour" routine .

There are four reasons for bolting twin engines onto the transom of a RIB:
1. You intend to cruise, extensively, out of 'phone and VHF radio range or in dangerous water, on your own (ie no accompanying boat).
2. You can't get the horesepower from a single engine.
3. Your budget's unlimited.
4. You have free fuel, or live in the Channel Islands .

8m+ RIBs are great - every half metre gives you more comfort, and make those long passages more bearable. Your wife and young children will enjoy it rather than enduring it. And your one-year-old will only just be old enough by the summer to endure the impact of RIBing. You might find that you want to keep to yachting for a couple of years!

With a budget of £30k you've only one option - used. A new 8m+ with twin engines will set you back £60k+ from a quality manufacturer.

As Roy mentions, Ribcraft are a quality manufacturer with a good reputation. We happen to be very satisfied with our Scorpion, and I can honestly say that along with Tornado (and XS), and Osprey, these four makes set a benchmark that other manufacturers try to follow (unless you can stretch to a Pascoe!).
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2005, 00:53   #5

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Good advice from Mr B. For GBP30k, no questions in my mind, second hand 7.5m Scorp (actually nearer 7.75m), single engine with aux.
Old 15 December 2005, 06:41   #6

Town: west sussex
Make: (on order)
Length: 6m +
Engine: not sure
something like this?

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F83919/
Old 15 December 2005, 06:58   #7

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
1. Should we go twin-engines - security of extra engine for cross-channel passages would be really appreciated.
2. Should we go for 8m+, given the conditions we can expect?
3. Should we go new or used?
4. What manufacturer would you recommend?

based on my limited knowledge:

1. yes - 2* 200's or even 2*250 as cost delta minimum
2. yes - 8 to 9 meters is just about OK
3. Used
4. Don't know enough about manuafacturuers .

jonathan
Old 15 December 2005, 07:01   #8

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Agree with Pete 7 . Worth having a word with/emailing Charles (cto1 on here) and trying out a few RIBs before committing yourself.

Think about your needs : comfort may be a priority over speed? Would you prefer a cabin RIB? Also, fitting the family in might make you choose a bespoke boat rather than a 'one size fits all' model. Several manufacturers will build to your spec but some are more £££ than others.

Andre who posts on here has a great 7.5 Parker RIB and he is very helpful when it comes to try-outs.

There seems to be more help available at sea these days which makes heading to France a very pleasant & comfortable option. It's a brill run from Jersey on a nice day. Seastart have extended some cover to the North Brittany Coast so worth considering that as an alternative to your 'extra engine' thoughts. Mind you, fuel isn't such a constraint for you!

Above all, the best assurance we have had has been to get to know other ribsters. This has meant not only lots & lots of fantastic days out (& a few nights out too!!!!) but the excellent company of reliable and helpful friends at sea.

missus
Old 15 December 2005, 07:29   #9

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
I think it's worth mentioning that it is possible to buy a really nice used 7.5/8m Rib for £30k that will be ideal for your intended use. Let's not frighten the guy back to rag and stick forever!
Old 15 December 2005, 07:40   #10

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
30k will get you a nice new 7.5 Solent Rib with oodles of extras and choice of layout .

At the end of the day though you will have to try as many as possible rather than take other peoples word .

Some people have good opinions of some craft while others hate them .
Old 15 December 2005, 07:51   #11

Town: Inverkip
Boat name: Crusader
Make: Redbay 8.4 Exped
Engine: yamaha sterndrive
RIBase
Try giving redbay a call. They are in your price range. Should be able to get a Stormforce 7.4 with a roof easily for that sort of money. There extremely economical and sea keeping quality is superb. Will be honest that you wont be the fastest rib about but will be the best looking and go thru anything.

£60 of diesel gets you 300 miles. posted sum pics to give you an idea. ideal boat for converting the family as we did. We had a Delta before and my Mother wouldnt go on it unless it was a lifeboat situation but with the redbay every shop on the west coast of scotland has been visited!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	16449   Click image for larger version

Name:	r.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	16450  
Old 15 December 2005, 08:08   #12

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim griffin
30k will get you a nice new 7.5 Solent Rib with oodles of extras and choice of layout .

At the end of the day though you will have to try as many as possible rather than take other peoples word .

Some people have good opinions of some craft while others hate them .

Not heard of Solents being knocked on here.
Old 15 December 2005, 08:38   #13

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Been through the same logistics process myself sailing takes too long for kids and they get bored, ribbing is quick but you are out in the elements all the time and the younger the child the less they like it.
So a rib with a cabin has to be the answer.
I didn’t quite manage to get one (not around in those days) so ended up with a sun cover for the hottest days and not going out with all the kids when it’s cold and wet.
My youngest is now 5 and she is happy most of the time provided it isn’t too wet. Des
Old 15 December 2005, 11:16   #14

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
I know it's sold but this might have been good?

Seating for 6

Shelter for the kids

Economy and reliability of diesel

Under £30K

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12056

Shows that youir requirements can be met within your budget if you go for used.
Old 15 December 2005, 13:00   #15

Town: Binfield
Boat name: merlinless now
It depends on how old you will go as well, for example my scorpion is 5 years old and is worth about 17k now, i take 3 k off a year to write it off, so if you look around and dont want brand new then you should be able to do it. If you buy one try to get one off somebody on here. They all look after their boats

P.S ribs are great we always look forward to going out and are very stable. when i come bouncing on of Chicester, i leave the hard boat standing, not just speed but due to handling and whens its a nice day you cannot beat it,,,a bit like a motorcycle
Old 15 December 2005, 14:46   #16

Town: St Helier JERSEY
Boat name: Barney
Make: Scorpion
Engine: 350 Yamaha
Update

Dear all,

Thanks for your commitment and passion - definitely made my mind up (at least as far as buying a rib). Just need to sell this:

http://yachts.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=34650

Here's my thinking so far:

1. Twin engines would be nice to have, but persuaded by arguments that it's more trouble than it's worth. Seen a nice Ribtec 740 here with 2 x F115 Yam 4 strokes, but it's only making 38 knots. Am I right in thinking this is a weight issue? Also, was wondering what the handling would be like?

2. As far as I can see engine and hull shape are pretty important. I'm thinking at the moment Suzuki 250 4 stroke (+aux) + a deep V hull.

3. Pretty confused about which rib maker to go for. Given the summers we get here, would prefer open rib design (so Redbay not for us). So, it's down to second-hand Scorpion. What are your views on Ribtec, Prosport, and just seen pix of Parker and think it looks fantastic.

Thanks again for help - much appreciated. Call me for a curry and pint when you're next in Jersey.

All the best

Phil
Old 15 December 2005, 15:21   #17

Length: 10m +
Engine: 2x610hp jets
how about 7.7 meter delta sx twin diesels 4 pod seats plus 2 in front of consol every off shore extra inc life raft self righting a frame etc etc far too much too list , built too last as most people know will be getting advertised in next day or two comes with trailer and other bits and bobs.only done 640 hours.iff interested you can get me at tonkawallace@hotmail.com id def go for deisel if you plan to do long distance happy hunting..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image(275).jpg
Views:	247
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	16454  
Old 15 December 2005, 15:29   #18

Town: Binfield
Boat name: merlinless now
Scorpions are great, but i would say that, i would look at a few types and try a few, like cars people like different things.

We have a main engine and aux engine, but we have never had to use, but we do keep everything tip top. The thing with a second hand rib is that quite a bit of the value is in the engine, trailer and electronics. So be sure to check out the engine services, a really good person will have kept all the service info, with mine we get a computer readout, which can tell you alot about an engine e.g is the average temp rising with time. As i say people on here look after their boats so have a look in the ones for sale

Redbays, can be open as well ans are good boats
Old 15 December 2005, 15:39   #19

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeTrader

1. Twin engines would be nice to have, but persuaded by arguments that it's more trouble than it's worth. Seen a nice Ribtec 740 here with 2 x F115 Yam 4 strokes, but it's only making 38 knots. Am I right in thinking this is a weight issue? Also, was wondering what the handling would be like?

2. As far as I can see engine and hull shape are pretty important. I'm thinking at the moment Suzuki 250 4 stroke (+aux) + a deep V hull.

3. Pretty confused about which rib maker to go for. Given the summers we get here, would prefer open rib design (so Redbay not for us). So, it's down to second-hand Scorpion. What are your views on Ribtec, Prosport, and just seen pix of Parker and think it looks fantastic.

Thanks again for help - much appreciated. Call me for a curry and pint when you're next in Jersey.

All the best

Phil
A lot depends on hard you want to drive - if you are just doing the family thing a Picton cobra is a great leisure boat - holds it's money and a great layout "med style".

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F75399/

Looks a good buy.

I would agree 1 engine and aux - Suzuki 250 is a great engine and quite light for a 4 stroke.

Have a look at Revenger - fantastic boats.
Old 15 December 2005, 15:46   #20

Town: Southampton
Boat name: RocknRoller
Make: Revenger
Engine: 150 Yamaha
My dad did the same as what you are thinking he had a moody eclipse 33 and we sold that to buy a rib becuase we thoght we mite get more use out of it. He ended up buying a 29ft revnger with a inbord diesle engine. I dont think we ever used a boat so much in one summer.