Old 30 June 2008, 13:29   #11

Town: Lexington Park, MD.
Make: Apex A17
Length: 5m +
Engine: 70HP Evinrude
I'm unfamiliar with the term "antifoul" in the way you gents are using it.

We have "ante fouling paint" here but that sounds different from what you all are describing...

It sounds like you use some sort of anti foul substance while washing your RIB/SIB, is that right?

Old 30 June 2008, 19:12   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
I'm unfamiliar with the term "antifoul" in the way you gents are using it.

We have "ante fouling paint" here but that sounds different from what you all are describing...

It sounds like you use some sort of anti foul substance while washing your RIB/SIB, is that right?
The verb to "antifoul" as being used here means to apply a layer of anti-fouling paint (note spelling is the same in US English and British English). That being a paint which is meant to resist the growth or attachment of biological material on the vessel's hull.

However even with an antifouled boat some slime growth does happen and people will remove the boat periodically to pressure wash this off.

I think ciaran's main concern is actually his tubes. There aren't (m?)any products around for preventing growth on tubes. So there these need to be cleaned frequently if they rest in the water.
Old 01 July 2008, 04:41   #13

Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
Yes the tubes do foul up quite badly. I havn't put anything on them, although I think Polymarine do a product. On my boat the last couple of foot are in the water at rest so it's not a big issue - I just scrape them some time to get it off.
Old 01 July 2008, 09:49   #14

Town: Lexington Park, MD.
Make: Apex A17
Length: 5m +
Engine: 70HP Evinrude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
The verb to "antifoul" as being used here means to apply a layer of anti-fouling paint (note spelling is the same in US English and British English). That being a paint which is meant to resist the growth or attachment of biological material on the vessel's hull.

However even with an antifouled boat some slime growth does happen and people will remove the boat periodically to pressure wash this off.

I think ciaran's main concern is actually his tubes. There aren't (m?)any products around for preventing growth on tubes. So there these need to be cleaned frequently if they rest in the water.
Ah yeah, same thing then. I was confused by the way it was described. Sorry for my misspelling. Didn't check it before posting.

When I was a kid I used turtle wax on the bottom of my MkII. Wasn't the perfect solution as it doesn't prevent growth. But did make clean up a little easier after leaving the SIB in the water for a week or so.