Old 27 December 2006, 20:27   #11

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Are you sure it's the plug at fault? Water has been known to get into the void beneath the deck from other sources. How's your anchor locker and duct from the console to stern?
I am 99% sure it's the bung - the fact the underfloor was almost full leads me to this conclusion (all the water runoff from the deck draining into the well and then leaking under the floor via the bung). As it's only rainwater, I can't think of any other explanation that would fill it that quick (boat has not yet been in the water). The anchor locker does have some water in it but seems to contain it. I think the duct is OK as I pulled cables through and they came out dry

IBWET - Agreed we should not have to chase. Dorian has not got back to me yet. I can only assume they are on holiday at the moment, although a voicemail message / email postaway to that effect would have been good courtesy from Ribcraft.

Old 30 December 2006, 15:55   #12

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
In dry conditions (if that ever happens!), with the hull void emptied, try just filling the well to deck level and check whether the water leaks from there into the hull void. This would eliminate any other possible causes of the leak.

Alternatively, lower the bow and get some water into the hull void, then with the plug in place, raise the bow to check whether the water drains back out into the well.

Good luck

Old 02 January 2007, 07:13   #13

Boat name: Mr Blue Sky
Engine: E-Tec 90
These bungs can be quite problematical; Roycruse couldn't get his out How am i gonna get this undone ??? but at least when he did it was dry inside. I have tried to undo mine but haven't been able to yet, but I had better check considering how much water you had in yours.

Ribcraft fit a transom bung as standard to the 4.8 and I ordered one for my 5.3 but they forgot to fit one. However I've not missed it though as I always pull a tarpaulin over him to keep the rain off.

Keep us informed, yes, Ribcraft are difficult to contact... (but it is Christmas and the London Boat Show is on in a few days) but when they do get back to you I'm sure they will be very helpful, as they have been with me.
Old 07 January 2007, 17:57   #14

Just a quick update on this.

The after-sales manager of Ribcraft called me on Tuesday this week and was pretty helpful. He sent up a replacement bung and tube of sealent and screws so I can re-fit the new bung and also re-seal the anchor locker.

It's been too wet to go down to the boat since then but I'll let you know what I find when I remove the current bung / anchor locker lid (I'll try and remember to take my camera). I suspect they are either not sealed or are poorly sealed. It seems odd that 2/2 things which are supposedly sealed onto the deck leak!

Hopefully this will fix the problems (not that it excuses the issues being there in the 1st place!)
Old 10 January 2007, 14:17   #15

new bung fitted.

I managed to get down to the boat today and fitted the new bung.

Removing the old one was really difficult as the screws were exceptionally tight (and hard to get at). I ended up drilling one of them out and levering the bung out which actually sheared the screw flush with the bulkhead. Anyway, it's now clear why the bung was leaking - there was very little sealent round the bottom part of the fitting and there was a clear path for water to get through. It had obviously not been fitted such that the sealent squirted out on all sides. I also discovered where it was mounted was not flat so it wasn't sitting well against the bulkhead.... Not very impressed with this I must say!

I drilled new holes (as one still had the old screw in it) and flattened out the bulkhead then put loads of sikaflex on the new fitting (ask IBWET how much sikaflex I use :-) ) and screwed it in place - pleanty of sealent oozing out all round the bung so hopefully this one will now seal properly!

Next the anchor locker - I'm sure this will be the same problem, ie not enough sealant. Will post when I've done that, hopefully with some pics this time.