Old 02 September 2010, 10:22   #1

Town: warwick
Make: Valiant
Length: 5m +
Engine: 75 Marina
Leak

Hi

Need some advise guys I have a 5 metre Valiant Rib that is leaking in water through the top of the deck into the space between this and the hull.

Obviously this courses major problems with stability as by the end of the day we have at least 5 buckets of water slopping around inside this space.

I have treid to find leak and am just in the process of sikoflexing in the screws that hold the steering consul on.

What I need to know is can I or should I fill the space between hull and deck with expanding foam?
Old 02 September 2010, 11:42   #2

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
Hi Gaza

Leave the expanding foam alone please! If you go down this route a) you will need alot and b) you will never be able to get to all the equipment and fuel tanks ever again.

Obviously you should not be getting that amount of water build up over such a short period of time, so finding the "leak" should be a priority. I dont think it will be the consol screws. On out Valiant, we had a small ingress of water in the bow area, between the base of the tubes and the hull. We had to get in to the anchor locker and seal from inside.
On another tack, why is your bilge pump not getting rid of this water? Is it not working (fix it) or if you dont have one, get one asap.

Regards
Steve
Old 02 September 2010, 17:11   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
As 250 knots says don't fill the void with foam. Even "closed cell" foam will soak up water over time and hold it like a sponge - ask any dory owner! You need to find and fix the leak. If you can't completely fix it then you need to get a bilge pump into the space.