Old 30 November 2004, 20:21   #1

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Laws on salvage

I am interested on the salvage laws that apply to rivers. Here is a hypothetical situation:
If I were to find a boat which I know has been sitting half sunk in a river for the last three months, would it be within the laws of the land to remove things from it (fixtures and fittings).
The boat is very definatly abandoned; as I say it's been half sunk for months now. It's a 4 or 5 meter day boat - GRP hull type thing.

Remember, all hypothetical of course

Tim
Old 30 November 2004, 20:25   #2

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Salvage law is discussed here. I assume it applies to rivers as well as the sea? HTH
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2004, 21:12   #3

Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
Dont quote me on this and im sure people know better than me but i think inland waterways fall under a different law???

Cant suport this at the moment but in one of my hungover lectures a few years back on maritime law im sure i heard the lecturer say something like that.

When im back in the office tomorrow i will look in my book and see what i can find out.
Old 30 November 2004, 21:25   #4

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Tim,
Be careful! There may be local byelaws affecting this. If it's a tidal river, then it's likely that the wreck is crown property by default, otherwise title may be held by the owner of the river bed. In any case, the usual procedure for dealing with any wreck is to notify the Receiver of Wrecks to establish ownership and resolve any salvage claim.

Of course, if you're not "caught" removing fixtures and fittings, this is all academic, but consider why the craft has been left there - perhaps due to hardship or misfortune? And if you were the owner, how would you feel if your boat was plundered and stripped before you had the opportunity to recover it?
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2004, 21:25   #5

I get the feeling this boat has simply been abandoned; this stretch of river seems to be where everyone dumps old boats. It's been there for a good few months if not years and is starting to rot.
I will try and find out if anyone owns it. If no-one does I feel it's my duty to help keep the river clear of old rotting rubbish

Will "reccie" the boat and post a pic to see what u think.....
Old 01 December 2004, 07:29   #6

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Tim,
Be careful! There may be local byelaws affecting this. If it's a tidal river, then it's likely that the wreck is crown property by default, otherwise title may be held by the owner of the river bed. In any case, the usual procedure for dealing with any wreck is to notify the Receiver of Wrecks to establish ownership and resolve any salvage claim.

Of course, if you're not "caught" removing fixtures and fittings, this is all academic, but consider why the craft has been left there - perhaps due to hardship or misfortune? And if you were the owner, how would you feel if your boat was plundered and stripped before you had the opportunity to recover it?
Richard...Come on the guys had three months to recover the wreck, if the council suddenly decide they are going to clean up the river do you honestly think they'd give a damn about the owners feelings ! more likely it would be dragged out and skipped.

Finders keepers springs to mind in this instance, if the owner was that bothered he would have recovered the wreck !!
Old 01 December 2004, 08:33   #7

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
If it were me........

.........I'd board her in full view of everyone without anything to hide. If challenged I'd appologise, if not I'd go about my business of removing items as neatly as possible with as little damage as possible and be on my merry way.

I would thereafter keep my "loot" in a safe place without using or selling it for at least 3 months (no reason for this time frame) and if during this period I was approached either by the owner, police or whoever, I'd hand it back with appologies and advice it was removed without damage to the craft. If not, I'd consider it mine. It may be breaking the law, it may be viewed by some as not right, it may be opportunist, however - that's life.
Old 01 December 2004, 11:50   #8
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMe
it may be opportunist, however - that's life.
Thanks for putting my mind at rest, Graeme. I've seen this ropey old Zodiac lying about in Abersoch and I fancied lifting a few bits off it. I'll feel much better about now.

DM
Old 01 December 2004, 13:06   #9

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
I thought Ian's RIB.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmanning
I've seen this ropey old Zodiac lying about in Abersoch and I fancied lifting a few bits off it.DM
..........was a Prosport
Old 01 December 2004, 14:40   #10

Town: Portsmouth
Make: Tornado
Engine: Yamaha HPDI 200
Send a message via MSN to thorper
You should discuss with the receiver of wreck - she can tell you what the legal position is and give you advice about what can and cant be done with it.

http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mcga-en...r_of_wreck.htm

Ricky
Old 01 December 2004, 15:29   #11

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
If i were you and I thought that someone had lost this boat I would take it back to my house, inform the Police that I had found it and wait for the rightful owner to collect it.
If they don’t it is yours after a short period of time (can remember how long).
Then flog the boat on ebay and buy new fittings. Des
Old 01 December 2004, 15:46   #12

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Contact the landowner?

I bought a dory that had sat on the Thames for years at the bottom of a farmers field.

Knocked on the door of the farm nearest to the boat and asked who owned the boat. Farmer told me that he did and a deal was struck.

A little different to your situation but a chat with whoevers land the boat is attached to may well reap rewards. If the boat is in the landowners way then he may have already have complained to the navigation authority and be able to put you in touch with the relevent person. They may be able to trace the Owner through licence records and be able to confirm or otherwise that the boat is abandoned.
Old 01 December 2004, 16:27   #13

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: D Hollins
Make: pacific 38
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin 212 hp Diesel
You havent said if its tidal or not. if it is in the sea, it is very clear what to do with wreck. You can lift it, and immediately tell the receiver of wreck with the correct form.

Once you have informed the receiver of wreck, they may or may not take steps to trace ownership. If they find the owner, you will be awarded a suitable salvage claim which would pay you for lifting it. If the owner did not wish to pay you as the claim would probably be more than the boat is worth, then he / she would probably be happy for you to keep it.

That is what normally happens. And its worthwhile to do it legally , because a)everything is above board and b) you are legally entitled to an award for salvaging it if the owner does want it back. Basically you cant lose.

If its in a lake, the local police station is the best option, and they will decide if its worth keeping for a period of time.

Again you cant really lose because they probably wont locate the owner and then you have atleast legally tried to find the owner.

Remember everything is owned by someone, or an insurance company. And it would be embarrasing for someone to come knocking on your door when that could be simply avoided in the first place. Contact MCA for forms - its called voluntary salvage.
Old 01 December 2004, 16:42   #14

It's in a tidal river.

Pics to follow tomorrow....
Old 01 December 2004, 16:46   #15

Town: Hants
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neville
If its in a lake, the local police station is the best option, and they will decide if its worth keeping for a period of time.

I found 180 quid in a cafe once. I told the police and they said if no one claimed it I could keep it. So what Neville said makes sense. (If anyone is wondering, someone did claim it. They gave me a 20 quid reward though...)
Old 02 December 2004, 18:40   #16

I took this photo of the craft today. As you can see, it's pretty sunk.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image(101).jpg
Views:	219
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	9525  
Old 02 December 2004, 18:48   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by timofengland

Remember, all hypothetical of course

Tim

I have asked around about this salvage thing and im almost sure the salvage laws are different to those adheared to in tidal waters and high seas.

Im told by a clever friend to claim salvage it must be...

...maritime property (i.e. designed for navigation, so not light ships or buoys etc),

...in tidal waters or,

...on the sea or on the edge of sea.

Sorry, its hardly an exact answer but then lawyers wouldnt make any money would they!

Advise given here already sounds pretty good. make an effort to find out whos it is. by the looks of it they dont want it!!!
Old 02 December 2004, 19:34   #18

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: D Hollins
Make: pacific 38
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin 212 hp Diesel
zippy, surely the fact that tim of england has said that it is in a tidal river means that it is tidal!

and you can claim salvage on anything that floats - literally. you can even claim salvage on a sheep - one that is floating or one that is sunk!

i will post some clippings of the MCA rules which say it in black and white and will thus end speculation!
Old 02 December 2004, 20:03   #19

I'm thinking of Salvaging the hole thing now. A friend wants in (he doesn't get out much - works in Debenhams!) which means I can blame him if all goes pear-shaped!

Going to try and work out who owns it first though. I'm guessing the broads authority won't tell me (data protection and all that).

Failing that, I'll ask around. If that doesn't reveal anything, I'll consider it mine!
Old 02 December 2004, 20:08   #20

Thats me told then!

Maritime law is completly different to any other form of law, (Tort, Criminal, contract etc) and as such can only be applied in a maritime context, hence the comment on maritime property. As such i think you would strugle to claim salvage on a sheep that has fallen into the water from the river bank however, If a ship carrying sheep sank you could claim salvage on the vessel and cargo and your award would would be proportional to the total value salvaged.

There are loads of other percularities for maritime law, most commonly know is the Lien allowing someone to legally arrest a vessel and detain it until a dispute is setteled. (often done my ships masters and crew if they havent been paid) This happens surprisingly often and i have cargo on a ship that has been arrested in East Africa for the last 4 months.

Anyhow, non of this matters now because tim has chosen the best method of get someone from Debenhams to pin any blame on!

Ill get my coat.