Click Here to Login

Old 16 May 2009, 21:11   #1

Town: Cheltenham
Boat name: It
Make: Bombard
Length: 3m +
Engine: Johnson 8hp 2 stroke
Launching Wheels - Advice needed please

I have a small RIB which I usually launch from a trailer. Unfortunately my local slipway at Upton Marina, Upton on Severn, has started to charge £15 for a trailer launch and £7.50 for a hand launch irrespective of boat size. I am considering fixing launch wheels to the transom to enable a hand launch.

Most of the wheels I have looked at specify max weight limits of around 120kg, I have no idea what my boat and engine would weigh.

I have a Bombard AX500 (3.2m RIB) with a 2 stroke Johnson 8hp, does anyone have any recommendation or advice on transom wheels and whether they would support this weight? I would like to be able to completely detach them after launching as well.

I am very grateful for your help and advice.
Old 16 May 2009, 21:26   #2

Town: Glasgow
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha
this might sound stupid but is there not another slip close by, a slip charging that amount, or any amount for that matter i would not use!! that is ridiculous! maybe use a beach?
Old 17 May 2009, 03:52   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Get these but shop around - avoid the plastic ones like the plague!!!

Make sure they are cranked to give added clearance.

And they stay attached - swing up out of the way. Worth their weight in gold - well almost.

They are fine for your outfit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheels_2.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	42604  
Old 17 May 2009, 08:39   #4

Town: Wilmslow
Boat name: Serotonin
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: Mariner 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Gill View Post
I have a small RIB which I usually launch from a trailer. Unfortunately my local slipway at Upton Marina, Upton on Severn, has started to charge £15 for a trailer launch and £7.50 for a hand launch irrespective of boat size. I am considering fixing launch wheels to the transom to enable a hand launch.

Most of the wheels I have looked at specify max weight limits of around 120kg, I have no idea what my boat and engine would weigh.

I have a Bombard AX500 (3.2m RIB) with a 2 stroke Johnson 8hp, does anyone have any recommendation or advice on transom wheels and whether they would support this weight? I would like to be able to completely detach them after launching as well.

I am very grateful for your help and advice.
Bargain any type of launch in Gwynedd even a carry across a beach (no slipway) is £12 I don't object to registering with the Council so that rogue boats can be identified and to ensure boaters are adequately insured, but £12 to hand launch an inflatable is a RIP OFF
Old 17 May 2009, 08:51   #5

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Gill View Post
Most of the wheels I have looked at specify max weight limits of around 120kg
After asking this same launching wheels question a couple of weeks ago, I followed up on Codprawns advice and looked for the wheels he suggests...there are plenty around on eBay (and other places) and rated variously up to 200kgs
Old 17 May 2009, 09:54   #6

Town: Cheltenham
Boat name: It
Make: Bombard
Engine: Johnson 8hp 2 stroke
Thanks for the suggestions it is much appreciated.

It should probably be in another thread but can I recommend the Cleddau Estuary in Pembrokeshire as an excellent location for a weekends boating, it is quiet and beautiful with many varied habitats and environments both inland and out to the open sea. There are a few pubs that you can tie up to for lunch and free slipways for launching. I use the one at Black Tar but for bigger craft there is an excellent wide and free slip at Neyland adjacent to a large car park.
Old 18 May 2009, 09:24   #7

Town: Essex
Boat name: Cetacean Protector
Make: Plasteco Milano
Length: 5m +
Engine: 75hp
Nick,

Locally to you, the Lower Lode Inn (western side of the river opposite Tewkesbury) has a slipway, not sure what Sam charges to launch but give her a call and she'll let you know.

Further down at Chaceley, the Avon Sailing Club (confusingly on the Severn!) also has a decent slipway, if you want more info on that PM me and I'll let you know membership rates. No snobby attitudes either, they're a very friendly club and anyone who loves the water is welcome.

Drop me a note if you want some more info as I'm at Tirley on the river about 15 mins from Cheltenham.
Old 18 May 2009, 14:22   #8

Length: 7m +
Nick, a quick note on the weight. I very much doubt you'll be anywhere near 120kg for you combination. We looked at the AX500 and I seem to remember it was around 45kg (similar to the Zodiac Zoom we ended up with). Then an 8HP 2 stroke is probably no more than 35kg.

By the way, Blacktar on the Cleddau .. isn't that well up river from where the speed limits start. Years since I've been there.

Tony S
Old 18 May 2009, 19:34   #9

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: zodiac FR
Engine: 2 stroke 15hp
MMSI: 999
I also need some of these, perhaps we could strike a deal with a supplier for 2 sets? I would prefer the most heavy duty I can get though. The weight may not be 200 Kg but dragging it all across a rocky shoreline may put additional strain on them. The best I can find is 200kg on ebay with stainless fixing bolts for £85.
Old 18 May 2009, 23:42   #10

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Don't just go by numbers - buy the ones that look the most well made. Same with most things in life - an 18v drill isn't always better than a 6v - 100x mag binoculars aren't better than 10x etc!!!

I think most wheels will cope with a normal SIB/Engine - the bigger the diameter wheels the easier it will roll over stones etc.