Old 16 February 2014, 12:32   #1

Town: Belper
Boat name: Ey up mi duck
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Launching this thursday

It's half term round our neck of the woods me and Donna are going to have the day off on Thursday and take youngest daughter out hopefully on the boat . We can either head north and do whitby or head a bit further down to warsash .

Someone kindly sent me a link to tides etc but does anyone know if the conditions at whitby are going to be suitable for a family day. I have looked at the swell app which suggests probably going to be okay but I know there are other factors to take in .

Thoughts and feedback welcome from any of you more experienced ribbers
Old 16 February 2014, 13:51   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Generally forget Whitby if there's any North or East in the wind. I've been out from Whitby in a F8 westerly & it was flat calm under the cliffs & in the bay. Marty Chappelow is your man for the east coast. Never been to Warsash, so can't advise. The beauty of Whitby is the sheltered launch, pontoons, facilities & the fact that you can poddle about in the river & inner harbour if it's too rough to get out. Saying that, the river will be pretty brisk after all this rain. If you get blown out altogether there's always fish & chips
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2014, 14:26   #3

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Warsash is pretty sheltered and you can launch all states of the tide (low tide is better than high) at least you have access to Southampton water which stays pretty flat most of the time and obviously there are more opportunities for things to do. Hopping over to the Island for a spot of lunch for example.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2014, 16:09   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Generally forget Whitby if there's any North or East in the wind. I've been out from Whitby in a F8 westerly & it was flat calm under the cliffs & in the bay. Marty Chappelow is your man for the east coast. Never been to Warsash, so can't advise. The beauty of Whitby is the sheltered launch, pontoons, facilities & the fact that you can poddle about in the river & inner harbour if it's too rough to get out. Saying that, the river will be pretty brisk after all this rain. If you get blown out altogether there's always fish & chips
Our maiden launch was whitby and that is where we would rather head , it's a bit nearer so better for a day run . We have launched from warsash and your right it's easier in a low tide but possible in high . The one launch we did from whitby it was quite choppy and we found it difficult to get any speed at all . I have been looking at the swell app that one of you guys sent but because I don't know what the swell measured on the day we were there I have nothing to compare it to .
I think I will take your advice and see what the wind direction is and then make decision .

We found warsash really good and the harbour staff were really helpful but it's just quite a bit further and you cannot beat whitby fish and chips .

Sorry for the delay just been to see 12 years a slave Long but good
Old 16 February 2014, 16:18   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedonna View Post
Our maiden launch was whitby and that is where we would rather head , it's a bit nearer so better for a day run . We have launched from warsash and your right it's easier in a low tide but possible in high . The one launch we did from whitby it was quite choppy and we found it difficult to get any speed at all . I have been looking at the swell app that one of you guys sent but because I don't know what the swell measured on the day we were there I have nothing to compare it to .
I think I will take your advice and see what the wind direction is and then make decision .

We found warsash really good and the harbour staff were really helpful but it's just quite a bit further and you cannot beat whitby fish and chips .

Sorry for the delay just been to see 12 years a slave Long but good
Based on this forecast, you should be ok for Whitby
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2014, 18:02   #6

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Length: 7m +
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Based on this forecast, you should be ok for Whitby
. You can't beat Magic Seaweed
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2014, 18:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony t View Post
. You can't beat Magic Seaweed
I looked at pikey's link , glazed over but he says it looks like it's okay . I had a wander round where I live but couldn't find any seaweed , did find fir cones so I. Will keep an eye on them .

Great down warsash but the pull of the north is going to sway me
Old 17 February 2014, 08:24   #8

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Saturday looks better

WindGURU: United Kingdom - Whitby, Yorkshire

You need a min 1.8m of tide to be sure of not getting stuck in the mud

Tides courtesy of EasyTide. On the UKHO website you can see the tidal curves to determine when you have enough water. Sat is no prob all day

Thu 20 Feb
LW HW LW HW
00:52 07:00 12:59 19:11
1.2 m 5.1 m 1.5 m 5.2 m
Fri 21 Feb
LW HW LW HW
01:29 07:39 13:38 19:55
1.4 m 5.0 m 1.7 m 5.1 m
Sat 22 Feb
LW HW LW HW
02:13 08:27 14:29 20:50
1.7 m 4.8 m 1.9 m 4.8 m
Sun 23 Feb
LW HW LW HW
03:12 09:28 15:41 22:05
1.9 m 4.6 m 2.1 m 4.6 m

Jeff
Old 17 February 2014, 09:11   #9

That's a great bit of info . On our previous launch there the harbour bloke said when you can't see that rock you can launch !! I never thought to ask how much we need in metres for future reference .
So if I understand you right high tide this morning on the tide app I have was at about 5.30 am and at about 5 metres therefore we could have launched approx 3 hours either side of high tide .
Is that right
Old 17 February 2014, 09:41   #10

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedonna View Post
That's a great bit of info . On our previous launch there the harbour bloke said when you can't see that rock you can launch !! I never thought to ask how much we need in metres for future reference .
So if I understand you right high tide this morning on the tide app I have was at about 5.30 am and at about 5 metres therefore we could have launched approx 3 hours either side of high tide .
Is that right
Hi Steve
Times from your app are close enough - Easytide gives HW@5.20 with 5.3m and LW@11.24 with 1.3m.
If you use the curve - you will see its safe to launch/recover up to 10am and after 1pm (approx) Much better than using HW/LW +/- 3hrs
Tideplotter does give a more interactive tidal curve than this but if you blow up the Easytide one its easy to plot/see.
If you start to use Easytide just watch out for BST - UKHO data is static as GMT all year so you need to add the hour
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Whitby 17 Feb.GIF
Views:	123
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	91129  
Old 17 February 2014, 14:57   #11

The penny is dropping ,
The one I have got is called tide planner which for me is quite easy to understand and your right you can move the vertical line across to see the depth at a given time . So now you have told me the depth I need at whitby it seems fairly straight forward .
The other good point about having this conversation mid week mid day is that hopefully there won't be to many signed in rolling around the floor laughing !!!

Thick question number two. The tide planner I mentioned does not seem to let me look forward past the day we are on . There is a date logo at the bottom but it won't let me change it . Is this something you have to pay for or is it just a case of altering my iPad settings somewhere ?