Old 26 August 2006, 16:26   #1

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Launching Southampton Area

Looking for some local info. I usually launch at Chichester but am now looking for somewhere nearer to home.
Anybody got any recomendations for the Southampton - Portsmouth area.
What i'm looking for is somewhere I can launch keeping the kids and wife dry. I've never really bothered about this point before as I'm usually on my own, and has somewhere I can tie the boat up to whilst I'm faffing around parking the car and securing the trailer.
After we have launched I shall be teaching my son how to handle the boat. He has some experience but needs refreshing.
Ideally this place would also have decent parking for a car and trailer and not have a reputation for break ins.
Any advice will be welcome. I suppose its also possible that such a place doesn't exist.
Although I've launched at Warsash and the River itchen in the past I'm not convinced these are the ideal places. Certainly somewhere to tie the boat up safely whilst I'm faffing around isn't easily come by at these places.

Oh and one last one has good access at most states of tide.

Is there anywhere on the New Forest side of Southampton water ? or have I missed somewhere along the Hamble.
Old 26 August 2006, 16:46   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Jaws
Make: Gemini 4.2
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
MMSI: none
Send a message via MSN to Gray
A few people have launched their boat under the itchen bridge, driven it along to Shamrock Quay marina, whilst someone else has driven the car and trailer round. The trailer is then stored in the locked yard and the car is in the car park. 24 hour presence and CCTV should mean its pretty secure. Something similar might be available the other side of Soton Water, I'm sure someone on here will know!

I guess it depends on whether the wife can drive the trailer round while you drive the boat. Parking is free for the car and i think the trailer storage works out at about £3.50 per night at Shamrock.
Old 26 August 2006, 16:48   #3

Afraid the wife is a bit scared of driving in new areas. Bit of a no go really with the missus but something worth considering.

Have you any directions for Shamrock Quay please.
Old 26 August 2006, 16:55   #4

Try here for directions:

http://www.mdlmarinas.co.uk/marinas/...ay/find_us.php

They operate hoist facilities mon - fri but for a small boat the cost is quite expensive compared to launching for free on a slipway! Just round the corner Saxon Wharf have a slipway, not sure what state its in or whether they would allow the public to use it even for a small fee. Might be worth a call though, 02380339490.
Old 26 August 2006, 16:56   #5

Just spoke to Wife. She says she'll drive the car if it doesn't involve any reversing. So thats sorted.
I'll give Shamrock Quay a try.

Is it available every day ?
Old 26 August 2006, 16:59   #6

Yep they are open everyday, prob best to give them a ring so they know you are coming! If your thinking bout leaving the boat overnight in the marina I would def check out the costs of that first but trailer storage seems good value for money short term.
Old 26 August 2006, 17:26   #7

Its just for a day trip.

Probably launch about lunchtime and land about 1800 hours. Nothing fancy but it will be good to find somewhere secure to leave the car and trailer.

I,ve looked at the Marina plan http://www.mdlmarinas.co.uk/marinas/.../site_plan.php

Where do you tie up to pick up your passengers and where do you park the car.

Is there an office to report to and pay any fees ?

Many thanks.
Old 26 August 2006, 17:56   #8

Biggles, PM sent.
Old 26 August 2006, 18:00   #9

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
The Camber slip in Portsmouth isnt too bad. Its useable most of the time, is normally free (or £2 if theyve bothered to put the barrier down but I understand it's broken) theres a trailer park next to the slip (or park behind Ken Browns for free). If you want to refresh your sons memory on the driving front round the corner where the fishing boats tie up is normally fairly clear to practise slow speed stuff.
Old 26 August 2006, 18:04   #10

Tim

Have you got any directions please for the slip.
Old 26 August 2006, 18:09   #11

Its about ten minutes off the M275. Go into Portsmouth and follow signs to "Old Portsmouth" and the cathedral. You will eventually go past the cathedral on your right. Carry straight on, and just follow that road. It goes round to the right with the sea wall on your left. At the end of the road you have to turn right. Once you turn right you'll be able to see where everything is. The slip is round to the left and the trailer park is straight in front of you. The Spice Island Inn is just round the corner and does good food for when you get back! (Note: dont be tempted to tie up to the pontoon on the left of the slip - theres a regular boat bus service which uses it and i have been shouted at by the angry skipper several times!)
Old 26 August 2006, 18:12   #12

Tim,

Sorry to be a pain but have you got street name so I can look it up on Boat Launch.

Many thanks
Old 26 August 2006, 18:28   #13
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles
Tim,

Sorry to be a pain but have you got street name so I can look it up on Boat Launch.

Many thanks

http://www.boatlaunch.co.uk/index.as...redfilterid=10
Old 26 August 2006, 18:53   #14

Camber is where I launch Greyhound. Nice area to leave trailers seperate from the car park (wheel clamps etc required!) within easy walking distance of the slip. Car parking is about £8 a day in the car parks, however I can get hold of 24hr permits for £2 or £2.50 can't remember which (you have to be a resident to get these - I get them through the sailing club).

I have a season pass for the slip, these are available from the harbour master for I think around £50 for the year, (again mine is through the sailing club) but the gate is often broken, and it's usually £2 if it's working.

Camber is a cracking slip to launch down, pretty much full tide access (very rare for it to dry out) and it's at a fantastic angle. Plenty of room along the edge of the slip and quay to tie up and wait. Also fantastic cafe (Slipway Cafe) just next to it for bacon sarnies and a reasonable cuppa!
Old 26 August 2006, 19:09   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo
Nice area to leave trailers seperate from the car park (wheel clamps etc required!)
Jimbo,

Are you being sarcastic with that remark or is it a genuinely nice area.
Old 26 August 2006, 19:09   #16

Town: Birmingham
Boat name: Darwin
Make: Ribeye 650 Sport
Engine: 150HP
MMSI: 235038283
Send a message via MSN to AndyB007
I've always used Calshot Activity Centre. The slip is wide, accessible at all states and not too steep (leave the trailer on the car). You can tie the boat up to the adjacent pier while you park the car (plenty of parking except on a few weekends when they run sailing events). I’ve left the car overnight without any problems, but I've read of problems with boats left there for storage.

Recovery can be a bit tricky due to current and wash from passing ships and ferries, but I've never had a problem and there's usually someone else around to assist. There are hoses to wash off and flush the engine. The acitivity centre has toilets, showers and a cafe.

I’ve also used the Public Hard at Hamble-le-Rice. It’s very tight to get to and parking can be a bit tricky; get there early to use the adjacent pay-and-display, or a few hundred yards up the road there’s a gravel parking area (seen it but never used it). Either way you’ll need to take the trailer off for parking (no trailers allowed in the pay and display, but there’s room to leave it just to the side of the slipway). There’s a big pontoon where you can tie up while faffing with the car. Only facilities are local public toilets. Advantage to me is absolutely no current, so a doddle to get off and on the trailer when solo (although there’s a sign there asking you NOT to use the engine!) I’ve only used this a couple of times; others may have more experience.

Both of the above can be found on Boatlaunch.

I’ve also used Hamble Point Marina – very nice facilities but VERY EXPENSIVE, so never again!

Happy boating.

Andy
Old 26 August 2006, 19:13   #17

The Camber is genuinly nice.

I don't like Calshot. I had everything in/on my boat stolen last Autum. The facilities arn't that great. End of last season someone stole the hose so if you wanted to wash off after you had to take your own. Plus when the wind blows it really blows at the end of the spit making recovery impossible.
Old 26 August 2006, 19:20   #18

Town: Birmingham
Boat name: Darwin
Make: Ribeye 650 Sport
Engine: 150HP
MMSI: 235038283
Send a message via MSN to AndyB007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M
The Camber is genuinly nice.

I don't like Calshot. I had everything in/on my boat stolen last Autum. The facilities arn't that great. End of last season someone stole the hose so if you wanted to wash off after you had to take your own. Plus when the wind blows it really blows at the end of the spit making recovery impossible.
Hi Tim

I think it was your thread I read that put me off storing my boat at Calshot. Compared to anywhere else I've launched (at less than £30!) the facilities are far superior. But as you say, when it blows ...

Camber seems to have its problems? See this thread which put me off trying it.

Andy

ps - the hoses are back!

pps - it's on the New Forest side of Southampton Water as per original request.
Old 26 August 2006, 19:24   #19

Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Nick you are wlome to use our failities FOC however with your money I guess you cam afford Shamrock

cheers
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2006, 19:30   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
Nick you are wlome to use our failities FOC however with your money I guess you cam afford Shamrock

cheers
LOL

Thanks for the offer Stu.

I'm looking at somewhere to treat the family. This launch has to be different to my normal ones because of the family factor.

I need somewhere easy to launch so it doesn't take the fun out of the day and I don't want to get all stressed with my family.

I'm going to do a recce this week and make a decision based on that.