Old 11 February 2006, 13:42   #11
Town: London
Boat name: varies
Make: n/a
Length: n/a
Engine: varies
Originally Posted by Paul McCarthy
We are going to try Wat Tyler park in Basildon around HW on Sunday, we are told by the local ribshop that it is good access and easy launching.Anybody else tried it there?
I've launched at 'Rock Weiler' Country Park a few times, it is ok but you need to make sure that the park is open and the gate across the slip is unlocked. The flows are pretty tame though.

Also, you'll have a pretty small tidal window to get through Vange and Holehaven Creek's and into the main river Thames and back, as the channel dries quite quickly and is pretty narrow in places. Especially as there is an 8 knot limit in all of the tidal Creeks in the Thames. However, if you are just looking to launch and moor elsewhere, then you'll be fine. Give the local Coastwatch boys a wave when you leave Holehaven, they are a friendly bunch and often will make you a cup of tea if you say hello.

Also, if you are coming back in to retrieve the boat, then make sure that you stay in the channel in Holehaven creek, i.e. hug the line of fishing boats and don't go around the back of the island near the refinery. The water is very shallow and I got lured in there when I saw a boat and waterskier, it was only when the skier fell off and stood up I realised it was only a couple of feet deep and their boat had a jetdrive! We had to get out of our Tornado and push it back into deeper water!

Hope it goes ok.

Tideway is offline   Reply With Quote