Old 24 August 2005, 17:57   #1

Town: dawlish
Make: avon searider/bom380
Length: 4m +
Engine: merc 50 2 stroke
Launching rib with rope

hi
planning first weekend away with my avon searider 4m since i bought it 2 months ago (had a bombard aerotec with launch wheel before)
what i would like is some advice on launching especailly as i only have a kia sedona people carrier been told to use a rope but not quite sure how this is done safely and correctly also how far does the trailer need to go in the water my rib is on sbs trailer with combination of rollers and carpet supports and lighting board
as this is the first time could do with the idiots guide
thanks
Dean
p.s any one recommend a good outboard lock for mercury 50 with 12mm bolts and web address please
Old 24 August 2005, 18:42   #2

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Hi Dino.

Sounds like you have the same model of trailer as me. I often launch with a Fiat Punto so I'm sure you will have no trouble. I never use a rope btw.
Simply reverse down the ramp (having untied everything) until the back wheels of the car are just about to meet the water. The majority of the trailer should be submerged then. Depending on the gradient of the ramp you can either push the boat off (dont forget attach a line to the boat) or get in and drive it off.

Using a rope involves tying a rope to the trailer then to your car so you can totally submerge the trailer without the car getting wet. This is best on really shallow slips or where there is lots of mud or seaweed for the car to slip on.

As a tip I would recommend making sure your bunks arn't holding much of thw weight of the boat; if it's all on the keel rollers you should be able to lift the bow and it should roll backwards.

EDIT: you mention the lighting board; might seem odvious but take it (and it's supporting arms) off first!

HTH
Old 24 August 2005, 18:45   #3

This is what you want:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/outboard-trans...QQcmdZViewItem

Will fit a 12mm bolt....
Old 24 August 2005, 18:47   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Dean there are no rules as to how far you put your trailer in the water. It varies from boat to boat, but basically it needs to go in so as the boat floats off or with a gentle push. I use the rope method myself. Back the car and trailer as far as is comfortable, I try and keep the wheels clear of the slippery stuff, handbrake on, car in gear, engine off). Attach a rope to the trailer and double loop it round the towball neck beneath the ball. Lower the jockey wheel of the trailer so it is hard on the deck and un-hitch the trailer. Hold the rope tight then, because you have doubled looped it round the towball neck, the rate of descent of the trailer is easily slowed. Once the trailer is in position to enable you to launch the boat. Lock off the rope using a couple of hitches and launch the boat. Retrieve the trailer by pulling on the rope and re-hitch to your car. Remove car and trailer from slipway and enjoy your boat trip! Upon return do exactly the same except obviously this time the trailer will be heavier (with the boat on) when you try to pull it back up to the car. If it is too slippery to do so then I sometimes drive the car with the rope holding the trailer off the slip very slowly and carefully up to level ground.
hope this helps
Jiz
PS Peter White's 'powerboating' book is very good and does detail a few launch and recovery methods.
Old 24 August 2005, 18:52   #5

If you do it that way make sure: a) the rope doesn't slip over the top of the tow ball and b) your jockey wheel is up to it. The standard jockey wheel supplied on my SBS trailer wasn't up to the job and got mangled when we tried to retrive the RIB on a bumbpy slip using the rope method (although we had people pulling on the rope not a car). I would recommend up-grading it to a heavu duty beast with a pneumatic tyre.
Old 24 August 2005, 18:54   #6

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M
If you do it that way make sure: a) the rope doesn't slip over the top of the tow ball and b) your jockey wheel is up to it. The standard jockey wheel supplied on my SBS trailer wasn't up to the job and got mangled when we tried to retrive the RIB on a bumbpy slip using the rope method (although we had people pulling on the rope not a car). I would recommend up-grading it to a heavu duty beast with a pneumatic tyre.
Agreed.
Pneumatc tyre does make it alot easier. and of course safety is paramount!
Jiz
Old 24 August 2005, 19:00   #7

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
You only need to use rope if there is limited traction at the waterline.

Soft sand on a beach or wet pebbles or a steep slimey slip are times when you might need one.

All you need to do is tie rope round trailer and tow hitch - leave the jockey wheel down and pull the boat far enough up so you can hitch up normally and still drive away.

If you have a good slipway you should never need to do this.

How far you should put the trailer in depends on how steep the slip is. Up to a point its pretty much a case of the further you put the trailer in the better.

I always have the back wheels of the car just touching the water. If its a steep slip then you will be able to float the boat most of the way on, if its very shallow you will only get the bow on the back roller and have to winch it the rest.

the most vital thing to check and double check is that you trailer is prperly hitched to the tow ball. A young girl was killed at my local slip last year when a boat and trailer carined down the slip road after becoming detached from the vehicle.
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2005, 19:05   #8

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino89
hi
planning first weekend away with my avon searider 4m since i bought it 2 months ago (had a bombard aerotec with launch wheel before)
what i would like is some advice on launching especailly as i only have a kia sedona people carrier been told to use a rope but not quite sure how this is done safely and correctly also how far does the trailer need to go in the water my rib is on sbs trailer with combination of rollers and carpet supports and lighting board
as this is the first time could do with the idiots guide
thanks
Dean
p.s any one recommend a good outboard lock for mercury 50 with 12mm bolts and web address please
My experience with dry carpeted side bunks is that they can "stick" to the boat like glue and need a little persuasion to "break" the grip. Wet them first is good, but in the end I used an oil/grease mixture brushed on to the carpet. Use rope to launch only if shallow slip. I launch and recover an 8.5 metre Cobra solo 4 times per week direct from truck/trailer on a medium slope without ever getting my feet wet. Good luck
Old 24 August 2005, 19:48   #9

Town: dawlish
Make: avon searider/bom380
Engine: merc 50 2 stroke
many thanks for all the advice and help really looking fwd to the weekend .now just got to put all this into practice now! weather permitting! will try without the rope !! unless there is any chance of my outfit slipping in the drink but now i have some knowledge of how to rope launch it gives me peace of mind that all eventuallys are covered
thanks again
dean
p.s also lock on ebay looks just the job thanks
Old 24 August 2005, 19:52   #10

Town: sunny south coast
Boat name: Pride of Bilboa
Length: 10m +
MMSI: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M
Hi Dino.
Simply reverse down the ramp (having untied everything)..
Personally, I leave the winch strap attached, and a precautionary rope looped from the "U" bolt to the trailer.. You don't really wanna stop the car and trailer at the bottom of the slip, and look in the rear view as the rib gracefully slides off the rollers..
Old 24 August 2005, 20:07   #11

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Personally,I'd put the rope around my neck and find a strong tree if I had to drive the Sedona!! Joke! :-)
Old 28 August 2005, 20:36   #12
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwozere
Personally, I leave the winch strap attached, and a precautionary rope looped from the "U" bolt to the trailer.. You don't really wanna stop the car and trailer at the bottom of the slip, and look in the rear view as the rib gracefully slides off the rollers..
I'd second that advice too.

Even worse would be having to brake for some reason before the bottom of the slip . . .

John