Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 17 April 2014, 12:03   #1

Length: 3m +
Launching from Mudeford/ Christchurch

I launched from Wick Lane the other week and was shocked at how the winter storms have affected the sandbank outside the run. I ran aground with my long shaft engine and had to get towed back by a jet skiier, and there also seemed to be a distinct lack of bouys marking the dredged channel. Could anyone let me know if Mudeford is now only accessible on neaps or high tides and whether the harbour masters are going to sort this out? I'd be interested to know of any other slipways that might be more suitable now as I'm a bit wary of launching from there from now on. I only know of baiter and lymington, and I live in Ringwood. Thanks
Old 17 April 2014, 13:45   #2

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
The channel does move each year, and given the weather over winter I'm not surprised its moved a lot and buit up the bank - it'll improve as the season goes on.

Usually the channel ismarked from (what I recall ) 1st April - so if you went back now I'm sure you'll see its marked .

The council take a view they are not going to dredge to ensure the harbour isn't used by the bigger plastic tubs.

I used to have a mental rule of not even trying for an hour and half either side of low water - you can do at low etc, but its very very shallow , and you have to trim the engine up all the way to the point he props nearly out of the water and be happy to bump along the bottom.

The RNLI have the 'stick it on the plane and draw less water' approach - but you need to see thier props and realise they have the budget to buy new ones !

Stick with Wick lane - despite the wait to launch and recover sometimes I've found its a one of kind place on the south coast at Mudeford - and try to forget being towed by a jetski ....but then again they aren't all bad ....
Old 17 April 2014, 14:51   #3

Length: 3m +
Thanks for the reply.. I'll try again tomorrow following your advice but I am really wary of this. I went down the other day and there seems to be surf just after the buoys indicating really shallow water. With low at 7.22pm I think I'll play it safe and start making my way back at 3pm.
Old 17 April 2014, 15:29   #4

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I used to go down at low water springs to really see and understand whats going on down there.

Getting a drink in from the the pub and to then sit watching the water run out for the hour up to low water can be hugely educational to see whats happening (with no stress or worry of grounding or needing a tow)

I think its sort of a rite of passage at mudeford to run aground/ need towing / give a tow/wreck a prop and get used to thinking 2 foot of water is 'loads'......
Old 17 April 2014, 19:26   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Coast
Boat name: PLAYER 1
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7m +
Engine: OB/P/250
MMSI: 235090989
RIBase
I'll be out tomorrow. Went out last Thursday with no problems and channel was marked. 2ft IS loads.
Old 17 April 2014, 20:32   #6

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
I agree with everything that Pete has said.
It is a lovely place for Ribbing, just needs a little more planning and care.
The Council will put out Port & Starboard marks any time now and remove again in October. In between, the local fishermen put down their own marks. Use both we care, as the channel can and does move during a single season.
Unless I was an hour either side of high water, I always had the engine trimmed right up, just enough to let the prop grip and cooling water through the engine. I would recommend using an aluminium prop rather than stainless steel, as you WILL ding your prop at some point.
If there is a yacht leaving or entering about the same time as you, follow it. You'll soon see if there is enough water!!!
Steve
Old 18 April 2014, 08:15   #7

Town: Barton
Boat name: EyeCatcher
Make: Ribeye A600
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam F115
MMSI: 235097872
I launched there yesterday at about 12.00 and the Chanel was marked, had a gentle cruise to lymington ( flat out) 😜