Old 16 April 2016, 10:26   #41

Town: Norfolk & East Coast
Make: Excedo
Length: 4m +
Engine: 70
Think I bought that Navara, given the amount of rust!!
Old 16 April 2016, 13:32   #42

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmullen View Post
I once had to try and rescue a chap's Navarra from Scarborough's North Bay, he'd been recovering a jetski and was up the back axle on an incoming tide.

I took my (company!) L200 on to help, another lad in another Navarra and with both trucks towing and the owners 10 year old lad driving the stuck car we were getting nowhere fast.

The fire brigade turned up but couldn't bring the appliance onto the beach as that would sink, they tried with portable airbags to lift it but that didn't help. CG turned up so we had 3 pickups towing but achieving nothing. By now the waves were right up the bed of the truck and it was sinking at the rear more meaning the front wheels weren't on the ground any more.

Next some local lads commandeered a tractor and that had it out in no time, still when we opened the rear doors gallons of seawater flooded out.

We had more or less the same scenario in Normandy with an acquaintances company Disco. The Disco was a write off, hence my aversion to beach launching. Never again😞

Sh1t happens
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2016, 13:42   #43

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Beach launching the SR is a doddle. Throw in, trailern'all on launching, repeat on recovery, heave the lot out of the oggin by hand and hook on to truck.

Haven't tried this technique with the 7m.
Old 16 April 2016, 15:49   #44

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
I've beach launched my 17ft hardboat a few times. It has a 135hp Mariner on the back BUT l hate getting my braked trailer wheels in the salty stuff so I dump it on the sand on an incoming tide then beach it on an outgoing tide and winch it back on.
To date I've not had any problems but I'm always wary of soft sand and tend to pull he trailer from hard standing with a rope even though I have 4wd.
At work l use a Defender with Goodrich Mud Terrain tyres on off road every day and still manage to get stuck occasionally and sometimes need a tractor to assist so I'm under no illusions about how easily disaster strikes on land.
A lot of these situations are self inflicted but we've probably all done something equally as brainless somewhere with our chosen hobby.
I'd hate to get my car stuck and watch it sink beneath the waves......