Click Here to Login

Old 22 July 2010, 10:37   #1

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Launching etc at Rye Harbour and surrounding area

I'm near Hastings and as a novice to UK tidal waters I'm looking for advice from those who use this area and in particular launch or go to sea at Rye. Over the last couple of weeks I have visited/spoken to various guys at yacht clubs and the RNLI in Hastings and Eastbourne.

Really tricky to find somewhere safe to launch and recover, big tides and onshore winds - the Hastings club go off the beach but have read too many horror stories on here of beach recoveries and having seen the sea there in even mild/moderate conditions I don't fancy it one bit - especially as the boat needs to be dragged up the pebbles...

I think there may be a weekend lift in/out service for small boats as Eastbourne but this is not so convenient/cheap.

Rye has a slipway up the Estuary but it seems only accessible 2 hrs either side of high tide which is a real bu**er. According to a few sites the re-entry is subject to difficult tides too.

Sorry for the ramble but if anyone from the area can relate their experiences I would be really greatful - no point in getting a boat if I can't get it in the water!!
Old 22 July 2010, 11:51   #2

Town: Crawley
Boat name: BerryBuoys
Make: BananaShark
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 EFi
MMSI: 235068187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
I'm near Hastings and as a novice to UK tidal waters I'm looking for advice from those who use this area and in particular launch or go to sea at Rye. Over the last couple of weeks I have visited/spoken to various guys at yacht clubs and the RNLI in Hastings and Eastbourne.

Really tricky to find somewhere safe to launch and recover, big tides and onshore winds - the Hastings club go off the beach but have read too many horror stories on here of beach recoveries and having seen the sea there in even mild/moderate conditions I don't fancy it one bit - especially as the boat needs to be dragged up the pebbles...

I think there may be a weekend lift in/out service for small boats as Eastbourne but this is not so convenient/cheap.

Rye has a slipway up the Estuary but it seems only accessible 2 hrs either side of high tide which is a real bu**er. According to a few sites the re-entry is subject to difficult tides too.

Sorry for the ramble but if anyone from the area can relate their experiences I would be really greatful - no point in getting a boat if I can't get it in the water!!
Hi Max

I'm not a local so have no real knowledge - the entry in Boatlaunch (www.boatlaunch.co.uk) for Rye Harbour slip reckons it's useable for all except 1.5 hours either side of low water and that they offer a tractor-assisted launch/recovery service. Just thought that might be some help?

I really hope you can get on the water somehow .

Yours
Ian
Old 22 July 2010, 14:12   #3

Thanks Ian, yes thanks to Boatlaunch that I found it in the first place, there is some more info on the link below too but as everyone will know there's nothing like hearing from someone who has been there, done it, got stuck...etc

http://www.visitmyharbour.com/harbou...e/expanded.asp
Old 22 July 2010, 14:47   #4

Town: Crawley
Boat name: BerryBuoys
Make: BananaShark
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 EFi
MMSI: 235068187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Thanks Ian, yes thanks to Boatlaunch that I found it in the first place, there is some more info on the link below too but as everyone will know there's nothing like hearing from someone who has been there, done it, got stuck...etc

http://www.visitmyharbour.com/harbou...e/expanded.asp
Sure, I realised after I posted that it probably wasn't any more info than you already had!

I'm interested in any info too as I'm not too far away for the odd trip out for a change of scenery.

Good luck in your hunt for a boat and somewhere to launch it!

Ian
Old 22 July 2010, 15:17   #5

Boat name: Aintree
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin 150's
I run from Rye harbour. You can run in and out 3 hours either side of high tide. There is a slip which is usable at those times and a tractor which will launch you for £5 from Rye Harbour Marine.

The fee's for the slipway are roughly £15 for a day or £150 ish for a year. Not a very busy slip either even in height of the summer.
Old 22 July 2010, 15:38   #6

Hi Redthunder - thanks for that, can you tell us more? Had heard from the RNLI guy that it was only 1.5 hrs either side??

What's it like coming in out with the ebbs and tides (for a complete novice like me)?

Also I understand the moorings in the harbour are very tidal with obvious drops in levels - any good mooring there in a rib?

Have you been upwater through the lock? Again, I understand there is another slip upstream of the lock too?
Old 22 July 2010, 16:12   #7

Boat name: Aintree
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin 150's
The tide can get quite a rush on but nothing to worry about. Only 1 and half either side if you go up river to Rye town. Have not bee through the lock as always go out to sea. If in doubt do an RYA level 2 power boat with Sussex powerboating in the harbour. Not sure I would moor a RIB there as its dries out. You can store on a trailer though at the local boat yard.
Old 22 July 2010, 17:40   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redthunder View Post
The tide can get quite a rush on but nothing to worry about. Only 1 and half either side if you go up river to Rye town. Have not bee through the lock as always go out to sea. If in doubt do an RYA level 2 power boat with Sussex powerboating in the harbour. Not sure I would moor a RIB there as its dries out. You can store on a trailer though at the local boat yard.
Thanks for that - yep PBII is provisionally booked but waiting on a boat first as it could drag into next season before I get one...maybe one day we could meet up - would be great to go out with a local there for some first hand experience when I'm sorted.