Old 17 May 2004, 18:02   #1

Town: Hemel Hempstead
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8.1
Engine: inbord diesel 300hp
Launching at Rock

I am going on holiday at the beginning of July to North Cornwall,
around the Padstow area . I would like to take my 8m Scorpion Rib and launch it at Rock. Has anybody used this slipway. Is there any better ones in the local area and is their any where to leave the trailer for a week will we use the rib.
Can anyone HELP???
Old 17 May 2004, 18:08   #2

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
The slip at rock is the slip the lifeboatmen use to take a d-class inflatable down from the car park level to the beach. At anything but a high spring tide its not really a slipway, just a ramp so that you can launch from the beach.

Im lookign elswhere because anything over 5.5m wont fit into the car park containing the real slipway in padstow and i havent got a 4x4 so launching from rock beach isnt an option. I will most likely launch further up the coast somewhere and drive the boat down to padstow.

edit: Ive jsut had a look at boatlaunch and there is another slip at the camel sailing club but again this one jsut takes you down to the beach.
Old 18 May 2004, 10:13   #3

Town: Northampton
Boat name: Between boats
The best slip (IMHO) on this part of the coast is at Appledore, which is in Barnstaple Bay, probably about an hour and 20 mins drive from padstow. Good place to start a north cornish cruise though (even though its technically Devon!), with an option for Lundy Isle (20NM).

If you still struggle for storage, I could probably fix you up with trailer/car storage at Bude, and if you really felt brave, and the sea state calm you could even use the slip there at HW+/- 1

Chris
Old 18 May 2004, 18:32   #4

Town: Hemel Hempstead
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8.1
Engine: inbord diesel 300hp
Thanks Chris for the info, it look about 30-35 miles by sea from Bude to Padstow. Is their any major nav hazzards??? and what the chance of just keeping the trailer at Bude as we need the car for the week at padstow
Old 18 May 2004, 19:00   #5

Town: Northampton
Boat name: Between boats
No major nav problems between Bude and Padstow. Can be exposed though, so need a good weather eye. Two bolt holes, Boscastle (very tiny entrance) and Port Isaac, but neither good in westerlies.
My parents live in Bude, so let me know if you're serious about trailer and I'm sure I can sort it.
Old 21 May 2004, 08:55   #6

Town: South West
Make: Halmatic/Ribtec
Length: 6.5m/7m
Engine: 200/225hp Optimax
Rock slip

There is a slip at Rock opposite the Mariners pub which gives access to the beach. This is fine for launching.

There isn't a lot of room in Rock for trailers. You could leave it high on the beach area but not on spring tides.

The people who look after and launch our boats at Rock are Rock Marine services and they will have storage to keep the traver and can sort you out with a mooring if needed.

Contact them here

http://www.rockmarineservices.co.uk/

Any other local info let me know and I will see what I c an do

Simon