Old 21 September 2008, 08:07   #1

Town: Paisley
Boat name: Thumper
Make: Avon SR4.0
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 30hp
Launching & storage Glasgow/Loch Lomond

Hi troops,

Looking for advice re secure but accessible storage for my trailered SR4m nr Glasgow/West of Scotland. Idea would be to pickup boat en route to holiday home in Argyll and for easier access for use nearer home (nr Glasgow).

Also - how is Loch Lomond for launching RIBS? Don't have 4X4, current tow vehicle is a turbo-diesel VW Sharan (use old Suzuki SJ for launching from beach at hol home you see).

And thanks to all for warm welcome/encouragement/ideas thus far as I get used to my first RIB
Old 21 September 2008, 08:23   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
you will have no problems launching that combination at duncan mills slipway at balloch. free of change. changing facilities. pontoon to put boat on while you paek the car etc. probably best not to turn up at 12 o clock on a bank holiday weekend as then you'll have a queue and trouble finding somewhere to park the trailer but otherwise normally very good. the slipway staff/rangers vary from very helpful to being a bit thick and obtuse, but no worse than most other public servants! you do need to register (which is theoretically free, but will cost you a one off £8ish for the number plates).

in terms of storage that would enable "local" use and pick up on way to argyll then i think you are either looking for somewhere that stores caravans etc or if its not too far for the local part - ardlui marina at the top of loch lomond.
Old 21 September 2008, 19:27   #3

Cheers

Thanx chum,

Haven't launched from a slipway before using the Sharan and am a bit nervous given it's only front wheeldrive though has an auto gearbox (I heard they're easier to handle when towing etc?).

That's a grand tip re Balloch and Ardlui - appreciate it. Will check fees at Ardlui.
Old 21 September 2008, 19:53   #4
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperbob View Post
Haven't launched from a slipway before using the Sharan and am a bit nervous given it's only front wheeldrive though has an auto gearbox
you'll have no probs with a 4m sea rider, especially on the nice clean, wide, concrete slipway at balloch. My boat is a little lighter that yours but we used to launch it with a 1.3L Mazda 323. If you can go on a quiet day (e.g. a normal weekday) and you will be able to practice without feeling you are creating a queue.

Quote:
Will check fees at Ardlui.
Its not cheap - something like £600 p.a. http://www.ardluimarina.com !!!
Old 21 September 2008, 20:40   #5

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
If you can go on a quiet day (e.g. a normal weekday) and you will be able to practice without feeling you are creating a queue.
And that is recommended, otherwise you may face a shoot out with some other slip users who can launch or recover in 3 minutes flat
Old 30 September 2008, 04:31   #6

Found it!

Many thanks for the advice, troops.

Have managed to obtain covered, dry storage for "Thumper" just 10 mins from the Duncan Mills slipway in Balloch - I'm a happy RiBer
Had a look at Ardlui, but fairly expensive and "slipway" unusable without a 4X4 and at £15 a launch/recover, the use of the marina tractor (if available) prohibitive.

If anyone's looking for storage in the area, the chap in question has a few places left, so feel free to PM me for contact details/info etc.

Had good look at the Duncan Mills setup - v'impressed and good feedback from other users.
Am looking to build up my experience on the relative safety of the Loch so I can hopefully participate in my first cruise at some point . . .watch this space!

Cheers to all,
Bob.
Old 30 September 2008, 08:55   #7
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
If anyone's looking for storage in the area, the chap in question has a few places left, so feel free to PM me for contact details/info etc.
PM me the details - as I like to know my options every year.
Quote:
Am looking to build up my experience on the relative safety of the Loch
be aware that with almost 30 miles of fetch in the right winds that the loch can be just as cold, choppy and inhospitable as the sea.
Old 30 September 2008, 11:36   #8

Town: Ardnamurchan
Boat name: Out of the Blue
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha 100
MMSI: 235 079 253
Loch Lommond gets a lot colder than the sea in winter time so you really have to be extra careful. The water temperature can get down to 5 centigrade.
Old 30 September 2008, 15:28   #9

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Many thanks for the advice, troops.

Have managed to obtain covered, dry storage for "Thumper" just 10 mins from the Duncan Mills slipway in Balloch - I'm a happy RiBer
Had a look at Ardlui, but fairly expensive and "slipway" unusable without a 4X4 and at £15 a launch/recover, the use of the marina tractor (if available) prohibitive.

Had good look at the Duncan Mills setup - v'impressed and good feedback from other users.
Am looking to build up my experience on the relative safety of the Loch so I can hopefully participate in my first cruise at some point . . .watch this space!

Cheers to all,
Bob.
Hi Bob
as a fellow traveller to Argyll from the s/west can you pm the storage details
ta
J
Old 30 September 2008, 21:23   #10

Cheers again :)

Thanx for the sound advice re the Loch - will make sure I'm extra careful.
Will PM the storage details to those who've asked.

Bob.