Old 12 October 2004, 09:48   #21

Town: London
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteb
Yes Rich, because of the angle of the slip, if I was to release the winch strap after before the boat was in the water, it would roll off and have a slight collission with the slip, even if it was partly submurged but not deep enough and I did the same it would still roll off. So, I fix a line from one forward cleat around the winch post and back up securing it to the other bow cleat, that way when I release the winch strap it doesn't roll off. I must say it can be scary when you release the winch strap as there is a slight movement whilst the line I have secured takes the strain. If that was not there I guess those lovely pneumatic tyres and greased wheels would quite quickly despatch the boat onto the slipway with a bit of a thud

Now, if I have got something wrong here, please let me know, maybe I am over cautious. I have in the past waded out when the boat is in deep enough water to release the bow strap but the novelty wore off. With the shape of the bow trying to release the strap from the bow eye whilst on the boat is not the easiest of operations, releasing the line attached to the cleats is a piece of cake.
Sounds sensible to me assuming those bow cleats are up to it. I take it you release the strap before the boat is floating. How submerged is the trailer out of interest?
Old 12 October 2004, 10:09   #22

Make: Larson
Length: 7m +
Engine: Volvo D4 260hp DP
Because of the very slight gradient on the slip I use at Gillingham I have to use a 30ft rope from the trailer to the tow vehicle, even with this length the boat is only just in deep enough water. It is a matter of experience knowing when the leg is not going to crash onto the cobbled slip where we are, we now know the depths and the tides. I know one thing for certain and that is without the extra 30ft my vehicle would need to be submerged to get the boat off, now I think that is because it sits quite high on the pneumatic wheels, but I normally wait for the rear to start floating before releasing the bow/cleat rope. I guess if you knew your slip suddenly went deep then no problem, just that Gillingham is a bugger, and I have seen others make that mistake. With the extra rope it is just so easy as the slip is very long and all cobbled, although a slight gradient.

Now launching at Cobbs Quay is a dream, best spot I know. I keep the boat in it's berth at the marina most of the time, but have been making best use of the trailer to see other beauty spots rather than just Chatham . We will get a bigger boat when we decide where we would like a permanent mooring, but at the moment we have the best of both worlds, plus the boat is brilliant fun and fast when when you want it to be.

I am also monitoring the diesel price hike issue, if this happens which it most likely will, then there will be a big drop in the prices of diesel cruisers in the mid range IMHO. There are people at the moment who have their head in the sand, but if it happens and they have not thought or dealt with the issue then they may find their asset / boat has devalued immensly. There is no way that diesel going up to £1 a litre is not going to affect a good majority of people, I think I will wait and snap up a bargain then from someone who hasn't taken notice of the warnings, and is struggling to sell their diesel guzzling boat after the price hike The smart diesel boat owners that are on a tight budget are starting to get out now, either to sail boats or down sizing, the ones that don't will either have to reduce their mileage by a quarter or send the wife out to work RIBS will be even more poular

I know for sure that if given a choice between a stinking loud diesel and a sweet smooth running V8 what I would go for, anyway it will make a change to see the larger petrol boats that have suffered in the past now fashionable, but now is the time to get one of those I guess if that's what you want. If I start doing long range cruising then I will have to suffer with the diesel, it is apparently safer and better range, but it's not like there are petrol boats blowing up every day. A bit like don't use a mobile phone at the garage, when was the last time you saw a garage blow up when someone had been on the phone

I hope that all makes sense
Old 13 October 2004, 15:34   #23

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich L
Mate, I didn't say it was MY boat.
You're quite right! I just assumed 'cause you kept using "I" that you meant it was for you... but now I understand, it's for your "mythical" friend.....You know the one?.. "Doctor, my friend's got this rash..."
Old 13 October 2004, 15:45   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
You're quite right! I just assumed 'cause you kept using "I" that you meant it was for you... but now I understand, it's for your "mythical" friend.....You know the one?.. "Doctor, my friend's got this rash..."

Gadzooks....has your friend got a rash too?????
Old 13 October 2004, 15:47   #25

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Gadzooks....has your friend got a rash too?????
Where's Dr John when you need him, eh?
Old 08 December 2004, 09:26   #26

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
That's a very nice twailer peteb can i be rude and ask how much it was and who made it.!
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 December 2004, 10:40   #27

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
That's a very nice twailer peteb can i be rude and ask how much it was and who made it.!
Stu,

http://www.degraafftrailers.co.uk/
Old 08 December 2004, 11:19   #28

Town: Newfoundland
Quote:
For rope launching / recovering a 3 tonne boat on a slipway selecting the correct rope is clearly essential, although I assume that there is far less than 3 tonne on the rope, most of the weight being through the wheels (er physics wasn't my thing...).

I'm assuming that I don't want polypropylene (too weak) or polyester (no stretch) so choice is Nylon? or Kevlar (too expensive?), but what diameter / spec.? or am I worrying unnecessarily? Say 15 metres.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Back in my offroading days we used to use Nylon ropes for recovery precisely because they stretch. Using "Kinetic Energy recovery" technique of having rope between stuck vehicle and tow vehicle, tow vehicle accelerates with some slack in the rope, rope comes tight stretches and then contracts "snatching" the stuck vehicle out. Very effective but needs to be used with care due to the forces involved.

My point is that I'dve through Nylon rope with its stretch factor would not be ideal for boat recovery as you dont want to be accelerating up the slip then stopping when BANG the rope contracts and the trailer trys to mate with the back of the tow vehicle! Or am I wrong?

alan
Old 08 December 2004, 11:26   #29

Make: Larson
Length: 7m +
Engine: Volvo D4 260hp DP
Rogue,

Pete7 is right, just follow his link. Cost is £2,690 for trailer, £120 for flushing kit (great invention), and £90 for spare wheel and bracket, total £2,900 plus of course VAT = Grand total £3,407.

Arthur is the owner, they supply the trailers for Pascoe ribs and will adjust the design to your needs (within reason) as their welders are on site.

You can contact him on :- 01276 855566

Good luck