J S

Town: N.Wales/Southampton
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 15hp
Laser Flares

Any of you guys used these:

http://www.rescue-flares.co.uk/index.html

Seems like it would be a good thing to carry in addition to normal Flares.

James

Old 28 May 2009, 09:26   #2

Town: Near Godalming
Boat name: AJA
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F150AETX
Subject to the considered opinion of others, I might buy one! I have yet to buy flares for my new boat and this seems an interesting alternative.

Old 28 May 2009, 09:45   #3

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Is it just a hoofing big laser pointer, currently being used to blind aircraft pilots soon to be used to take out the night vision of RNLI crews?

Might have to read up on them!
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2009, 10:12   #4
J S

Town: N.Wales/Southampton
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Honda 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon B View Post
Is it just a hoofing big laser pointer, currently being used to blind aircraft pilots soon to be used to take out the night vision of RNLI crews?

Might have to read up on them!
Yeh i had seen them on the tv being used by chavs to blind the police helicopters but on that website it says these do not do that to helicopter crews.

James
Old 28 May 2009, 11:30   #5

Town: Oakland CA
The hooligan lasers are a focused beam; these rescue flare thingies are supposedly a somewhat diffuse (unfocused, or at least defocused) beam. You won't get the intensity of a focused beam, and it's easier to "paint" a target due to the spread beam, as opposed to a single point of light.

OTOH, the instructions specifically state not to point it at your eyes. Go figure.

jky
Old 28 May 2009, 11:36   #6

Town: Glasgow
Length: no boat
http://www.ybw.com/auto/newsdesk/200...16mbmnews.html

There is an article in the latest Mobo mag on these and the green light came out rather well. See the above link for the video demo. It looks to be a pretty handy thing to have in your grab bag. I still think having flares is the thing to do but these are certainly a nice addition,
Old 28 May 2009, 11:40   #7

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
i had a close look at one a few months ago after one of our lifeboat meetings ,one advantage is they wont go out of date or have a use by date unlike pyrotecnics,the instuctions said it wont harm anyone looking at it unlike the normal lazer pointer,think this one had a range of 3o miles.if your stood high enough ,at sea level i doubt if you would get a couple of miles ,dont forget with a pyro flare ,its fire and forget unlike these you have to aim or waft it at the shore ,
Old 28 May 2009, 12:08   #8

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Read how they work, looks like they probably will not be harmful, clearly they need aiming and are not a 360 solution like a flare, still look good though.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2009, 15:32   #9
SPR
Trade member

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP
Sorry for cross posting this from another thread, but it is easier!

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28809&page=6

Before I go on, I must state that am an Authorised UK Importer & Reseller of Rescue Laser Flares; and owner of the site mentioned before on this forum that sells them. I also supplied the demo units to Motorboat Monthly for review.

Rescue Lasers Flares and Laser Pointers are two different products,

The rescue flares produce a line of light as previously stated, that progressive gets bigger the large distance its projected. So the time it hits the aircraft its a massive line. The flashing affect is caused by moving the flare side to side across your fingers that you use to sight. (would normally link to site here with instructions, but don't want to advertise).

This prevents blinding the pilots, last thing that you really want to crash your the helicopter coming to rescue you!

These have been approved by the USA authorities and have been supplied to USA military and coastguard. I believe the Spanish Airforce are using these too. I have supplied units to UK governmental agencies.

An independent review can be found at the following:

http://www.equipped.org/rescuelaser.htm

Myke Hawke ((http://www.mykehawke.com/) and Five Gadget Show Review:

http://fwd.five.tv/gadgets/all/great...e-laser-flares

The Motorboat Monthly Articile June 2009 issue.

http://www.zinio.com/reader.jsp?issu...&prev=sub&p=80

The downside to the rescue laser flare is that its is directional, and its designed to be used as pinpoint instead of parachute replacement. To guide rescuers to your location. (How many times you watched the TV rescue shows where the Helicopter cant find the causality.)

I still carry parachute flares on my boat, as last resort, since these can be seen in all directions.

One last point, the Laser flares can be used for picking up retro-reflective tape, when the laser hits the object you get bright flash back, this is useful in finding MOB at night or people in the hills if they have the retro-reflective tape in the clothing.

Any Questions on this product feel free to ask me, and I will do my best to honestly answer them.

Scott
SPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2009, 17:53   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
not causing "harm" is not the same thing as not "blinding" a heli crew. All "laser pointers" generally available in the UK will normally be class 2 laser devices and so, in theory, present no risk of eye damage in normal (mis)use - but if you shine it in your eye it will "dazzle" you and cause the "blindness" that pilots are complaining about.

I think it is very unlikely that these devices will not cause some degree of dazzle for a pilot operating in darkness - especially if he is wearing any kind of night vision/image intensifier.

We've all experienced car headlights - same issue but potentially much worse.