Has anybody made the above trip?

What distance is it?
Old 04 May 2005, 14:04   #2

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Nope... but a quick glance at a chart gives about 26NM....
Old 04 May 2005, 14:11   #3

Town: London
Boat name: Orca
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.3
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 150hp
Is there an online chart that you are using?

I have spent the last hour trying to find a decent site to give crossing distances
Old 04 May 2005, 15:51   #4

Town: Ireland
Boat name: Ally Cat
Make: Several
Length: 6m +
Engine: Several
Ferry Following

Are we following the ferry then?

I remember a great episode of Fools and Horses where Del, Rodney and Uncle Albert were lost in the North Sea on a trawler !

While trying to get back to Blighty ( and after asking directions from an oil rig ) , they followed the UK - Holland Ferry.............back to Holland

Stuart
Powerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 May 2005, 18:52   #5

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Rob, do you mean Stranraer to Belfast ? if so you might want to go to Port Patrick on the Galway Penisular, nice little fishing village and a tad quieter than Stranraer if you are leaving cars and trailers etc.

Not alot in Belfast for ribs, (oh okay, apart from 2000 pubs). The docks very commerical and don't stray out of the channel, those seagulls are walking not swimming.

Bangor however has a great marina, or there is Carrickfergus which has both marina and old fishing port.

Pete
Old 04 May 2005, 19:10   #6

Town: Bangor,Co Down
Make: Gemini/ Avon
Length: 4m +
Hi Rob, Larne to Belfast is an unusual route and when you mention crossing times is it the mainland you are coming from?
If so the nearest launching point to Belfast Lough from Scotland would be Port Patrick I would think.Distance to Bangor approx.20NM or Carrickfergus a few miles further.
As Pete says the Port of Belfast is totally commercial and do not take kindly to pleasure craft entering unless permission is sought first(channel 12 I think).

I have made the trip from Belfast-Larne and back a number of times on a tug when I was a kid.Boring coastline and nothing between Carrickfergus and Larne.North of Larne is Glenarm which has a small marina and Ballycastle which also has a marina.From Glenarm travelling north the scenery is spectacular.

If it's just a small jaunt you'll do well to stop at Bangor.Loads of pubs,restaurants,b&b's and petrol in the marina and the craic is generally good in the High st.bars.
Old 04 May 2005, 22:21   #7

Town: London
Boat name: Orca
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.3
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 150hp
What a dunce

my intentions are to cross from UK to NI not NI to NI (I have family in Belfast)I also have a scared girlfriend and daughter which will not go out unless they can see the shore. Initialy I was going to pop them on the Ferry to Cherourg whilst I made a solo crossing to France - but this kind of works out to be quite costly.

So I figured I could kill two birds with 1 stone, they will go on the ferry as a foot passengers whilst I will make the crossing alone.

We will then spend the long weekend exploring NI.

All tips much appreciated
Old 05 May 2005, 18:42   #8

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Do a search here on Ribraid, International Ribraid why not go from Portpatrick, close to ferry in Scotland, head to Bangor, excellent marina and town you are only 12 miles from Belfast easy by bus etc

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2005, 20:17   #9

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Rob, I agree with Gavin Bangor Marina gets the thumbs up. If you can manage it Strangford Lough is fab place to visit, its a fair run from Bangor, but well worth it. Folks could join you at Strangford if they don't fancy the trip by sea. Small wirlpools amazing, as are the big ones as is the marine wild life centre on Portavogie side of the estuary. Seals plentiful near the enterance. But you must do the chart work prior to entering the lough as the "paddies" (thats shallow rocks are very close to the surface outside the channel). 2 large towers in the enterance give good navigation aids.

Lobster Resturant in Strangford recommended or fish and chips opposite and sit on the harbour wall watching the world go bye.

Pete