Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 14 April 2019, 11:19   #41
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
lulz

Ya gotsta be judicious when selecting peeps to let loose with a camera on a new boat.

Shoulda let the Flying Test Monkeys handle it....

http://www.rib.net/forum/f16/rendezv...tml#post460975

Old 14 April 2019, 12:04   #42

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Well, he's pretty much come clean on the engine install issue though I'm not sure a 'second set of eyes' would have noticed the issue. Perhaps I picked it up wrongly but if I'm understanding correctly from the video, they fitted imperial nuts to metric threads.
Old 14 April 2019, 15:31   #43

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Well, he's pretty much come clean on the engine install issue though I'm not sure a 'second set of eyes' would have noticed the issue. Perhaps I picked it up wrongly but if I'm understanding correctly from the video, they fitted imperial nuts to metric threads.
Hmm I wouldn't be buying that explanation, usually metric and imperial mixed either bind up after a couple of threads or wind down so slack any monkey would notice the error and they would be likely to strip if torqued correctly.
My money would be on plain lock nuts being put on and not locked together or someone forgot the locknut altogether
Old 14 April 2019, 16:57   #44

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
1/2 unf nuts would go over m12 fine quite easy I think its quite possible but an engineer with 1/2 a brain cell would have twigged straight away
Old 14 April 2019, 21:54   #45

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
There is a video on YouTube now of the guy finding the engine and getting it back to surface and then to the workshop
Old 14 April 2019, 22:29   #46

Boat name: Bluefin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp
MMSI: Ex Directory
Old 15 April 2019, 06:27   #47

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
Having watched the videos on this incident I think that Boyd has handled the matter well..
Old 16 April 2019, 15:07   #48

Town: Fort Lauderdale
Make: Fluid 10.6m
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2x Mercury 300hp
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwiboyd
Black Betty

I have refrained from posting a response on youtube, there are too many arm chair captains, but here on RIBnet, there is a civil discussion.

This Fluid was engineered from the keel up, with any boat like this, there are excessive loads and there will be fail points. Unfortunately ours were from stripped nuts due to a miss match of different manufactures bolts. An error in our rigging dept. I did not rig the boat personally, but I do own the company, so it's my responsibility. A $25,000 loss hurts me as much as the next guy. We were 2 miles offshore and the closest inlet was 15 miles from the incident, the water is 100+ feet deep. For personal safety and further damage to the other engine, which would of left us stranded, the choice was to free the engine. Last Sunday we have a dive team retrieving the engine. The boat has full safety gear, EPIRB, First AID, Flares, fire extinguishers, tool box, dock lines, fenders, Life jackets, bucket etc....My son on the boat was wearing a PDF and we were all wearing seat belts, most boats don't have seat belts,this is not your traditional Sunday afternoon RIB. My son is kart racer, and runs his own kart at 60 mph. He has spent more time on the water than most kids, trips to the Bahama's on similar RIBS, he is no stranger to an adventure.
What is also not shown in the video, was system isolation, fuel shut off prior to releasing the engine, and then hull / tube / engine check after incident.

This is what my kid does...and he kicks my ass
https://youtu.be/lQAuH0P-rvM
https://www.siroccomarine.com
kiwiboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 15:11   #49
zip

Town: Pacific Beach
Boat name: Dash II
Make: Willard
Length: 7m +
Engine: Cummins
Glad no one got hurt.
Old 16 April 2019, 20:35   #50

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiboyd View Post
I have refrained from posting a response on youtube, there are too many arm chair captains, but here on RIBnet, there is a civil discussion.

This Fluid was engineered from the keel up, with any boat like this, there are excessive loads and there will be fail points. Unfortunately ours were from stripped nuts due to a miss match of different manufactures bolts. An error in our rigging dept. I did not rig the boat personally, but I do own the company, so it's my responsibility. A $25,000 loss hurts me as much as the next guy. We were 2 miles offshore and the closest inlet was 15 miles from the incident, the water is 100+ feet deep. For personal safety and further damage to the other engine, which would of left us stranded, the choice was to free the engine. Last Sunday we have a dive team retrieving the engine. The boat has full safety gear, EPIRB, First AID, Flares, fire extinguishers, tool box, dock lines, fenders, Life jackets, bucket etc....My son on the boat was wearing a PDF and we were all wearing seat belts, most boats don't have seat belts,this is not your traditional Sunday afternoon RIB. My son is kart racer, and runs his own kart at 60 mph. He has spent more time on the water than most kids, trips to the Bahama's on similar RIBS, he is no stranger to an adventure.
What is also not shown in the video, was system isolation, fuel shut off prior to releasing the engine, and then hull / tube / engine check after incident.

Absolutely the right thing to do.

Safety of crew and boat first....go back for what's left of the engine when you're properly equipped and manned to deal with it.
Old 16 April 2019, 21:46   #51

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiboyd View Post

Well I havent posted on RibNet for donks .. but Ive been following this on youtube for a while .. I appreciate the predicament you are in Kiwi and looks like a professional response to me from what Ive seen ...shit happens .... and as you said you are pushing the envelope 4 bolt 6 bolt mount ? will the submerged engine ever be the same ? maybes best given away as you did..hope honesty is prevalent when sold on though
Old 17 April 2019, 08:54   #52

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
[QUOTE=Bigmuz7;793539]

Well I havent posted on RibNet for donks ..

And you have been missed. Hope all is well with you? J
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 20:22   #53

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
[QUOTE=jambo;793547]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post

Well I havent posted on RibNet for donks ..

And you have been missed. Hope all is well with you? J

Yes it is mate.. thank you .... I shall need to up the ante with some more interventionist content I didnt even gloat about retaining the Calcutta cup ? .. but thats for another thread
Old 21 April 2019, 19:49   #54

Town: Mercer Island, WA
Make: Rendova 12 & 16
Engine: 40 & 90
Am I the only one horrified by that close pass at the 1 minute mark after exiting the channel? Is this some special place where COLREGS don’t apply?
Old 21 April 2019, 19:58   #55
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
Am I the only one horrified by that close pass at the 1 minute mark after exiting the channel? Is this some special place where COLREGS don’t apply?

As I recall the Colregs don’t define a safe passing distance. It’s very difficult to judge distance on video so hard to say how close it was. If the skippers knew each other and were playing in each other’s wakes it doesn’t seem that close to me - you’d see similar every weekend of the summer in the Solent. Was I horrified - no; would I pass that close at that speed - no.