Old 14 June 2019, 20:44   #1

Length: 6m +
Kip or Largs

Planning first trip from W Coast tomorrow. Tides not great (Low around 5pm). Either of these got slips that I'll get out around 4pm?
Old 14 June 2019, 20:47   #2

Town: Inverkip
Boat name: Crusader
Make: Redbay 8.4 Exped
Length: 8m +
Engine: yamaha sterndrive
RIBase
Largs all day, every day

the slip at Kip is steep, very slippy not maintained and unusable at low tide
Old 14 June 2019, 20:49   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post
Largs all day, every day

Cheers! Largs got petrol as well which helps.
Old 14 June 2019, 22:08   #4

Town: Glasgow
Make: Excel Vanguard 395
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post
Largs all day, every day

I've launched at both many times helping my boy and it is not slippery at all and largs is steeper if anything. With that said largs is a much better setup and definitely the place to go no matter the tide, kip is only really usable above half tide.

The key thing at kip is call them about a week before and they will clear the sand but I can assure you it is not slippery, sandy I will give you.

I think my boy is out tomorrow with the other guys so you may see them there, have a good one!
Old 15 June 2019, 05:29   #5

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I wouldnt fill up with petrol in largs yacht haven its very expensive, there is a filling station in Fairlie about half a mile south of largs fuel will be 20p/ltr ish cheaper.
When you arrive there is a free slipway and carpark at the entrance to the yacht haven but its only useable about half tide. If you proceed into the marina via the security barrier there is an all tide slipway with pontoon which makes launching easy but its about £12.00each way free parking and use of toilets etc
Old 15 June 2019, 09:42   #6

Thanks folks. On our way to Largs. If you're out and see a 7m white rib with Saltires on the console give us a wave.
Old 15 June 2019, 21:38   #7

So wee update. Rocked up and everyone very friendly. Currently 13 quid each way but we came in bang on low tide and still enough water.

Couple of things to watch out for. Gulf petrol station down the roads pumps don't like ribs. Ended up filling the can a couple of times and topping up.

Slip is usable at low water but bottom end is quite a shallow slope. Better an hour after low when you won't even have to get your tyres wet.

Getting out the barrier with a 7m rib wasn't the easiest. Probably best to go through the in gate.

Fancy restaurant on site nice but not sure it's my thing. 5 Range Rovers outside, none had a towbar or even a speck of mud! 🤔
Old 15 June 2019, 21:50   #8

Town: Lancashire
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Glad it worked out. I’m planning a trip up that way later in the year so your tips will come in handy.
So I’m not the only one who doesn’t get the polished Range Rover with no tow bar thing?
I think if you buy one you have to report to Land Rover and have all your road manners removed. Unless you buy new of course, then this comes as standard [emoji23]
Old 15 June 2019, 22:13   #9

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjj216 View Post
So I’m not the only one who doesn’t get the polished Range Rover with no tow bar thing? [emoji23]

Electric deployable towbar [emoji848]
Maybe they are folded away .....
Old 16 June 2019, 08:46   #10

Boat name: Cesa
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frar View Post
Gulf petrol station down the roads pumps don't like ribs. Ended up filling the can a couple of times and topping up.

Is it not an Esso ? Wouldn’t want someone driving by it. It’s a long road to the next one.

What’s the issue with the pumps ? Anytime I’ve been there there’s been no complaints from either party. Drive in drive out, friendly staff.
Old 16 June 2019, 08:52   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
Electric deployable towbar [emoji848]
Maybe they are folded away .....

Or even a manually removeable one like the rest of us commoners.
I also keep my vehicle spotlessly clean [emoji6]
Old 16 June 2019, 16:35   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotwillie View Post
Is it not an Esso ? Wouldn’t want someone driving by it. It’s a long road to the next one.

What’s the issue with the pumps ? Anytime I’ve been there there’s been no complaints from either party. Drive in drive out, friendly staff.

Not the Esso at Fairlie. Garage people were fine but pump just wouldnt work. Would get .1 litre at a time then it'd stop. Had the same problem in my local garage where the hose comes out at ground level. Now when they see is coming they get ready to reset the pump!

Apologies also to anyone I offended with the towbar and ckeanliness comment. I guess I shouldn't judge by my own low standards
Old 16 June 2019, 17:44   #13

[emoji1303]
Old 16 June 2019, 18:20   #14

Town: Lancashire
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
[Apologies also to anyone I offended with the towbar and ckeanliness comment. I guess I shouldn't judge by my own low standards[/QUOTE]

I must also apologise if I’ve offended anyone with reference to shiny Range Rovers.
You see, there’s this fella who lives near me who drives one. He wears foster grants even when it’s cloudy, a white linen shirt with the top three buttons undone etc etc.
Every now and then I meet him on the same single track road.
He’s ALWAYS between pull ins and I’m always just approaching one when we meet. Of course, he has the right of way so I duly pull over. Not once has he acknowledged me. In fact, he hurtles past with a V8 roar (that would sound nice if it wasn’t coming from him!) like I’m not there.
The first few times I would raise a hand in anticipation of his thanks but I’ve learned to apply the hand brake and sit on my hands until he passes. When I look in my rear view mirror.... he doesn’t even have a tow bar. If he did have one I’m sure that would pi** me off equally! I’m afraid he’s tainted my opinion of anyone with either a Range Rover, sunglasses, white linen shirt, or any combination of those things. But it’s got to stop, I’m usually the last person to stereotype, and a close friend has just purchased one.
So that’s it, rant over.
Apologies for the thread hijack but I do feel better now, and I’m going to avoid that road for a bit. [emoji4]
Old 16 June 2019, 19:34   #15

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Apologies also to anyone I offended with the towbar and ckeanliness comment. I guess I shouldn't judge by my own low standards[/QUOTE]

Nah your probably right they would either be in Scotts restaurant drinking G&T or sat on the deck of their equally shiny boat that never goes out the marina drinking G&T.
Lets face it whos going to tow with a range rover its a pain in the arse getting recovery for a car and trailer when it inevitably Claps out with a dash like a Christmas tree
Old 17 June 2019, 09:47   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjj216 View Post
[
You see, there’s this fella who lives near me who drives one. He wears foster grants even when it’s cloudy, a white linen shirt with the top three buttons undone etc ]
Think that guy was up my backside all the way to work today on a busy motorway 😂. Guessing he was called Claude from his appalling person number plate. If you were called Claude, why would you tell people... Who knew there was so much hate...