Old 08 May 2013, 11:54   #1

Town: Somerset
Boat name: Ashling
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 225
Kill Cords

Interesting e mail sent by Hugo Montgomery-Swan of PBR Magazine "To All Members of Boating Industry- KILL CORDS"

Kill Cord Campaign to be Launched by Powerboat & RIB Magazine.

The terrible tragedy off Padstow, like so many others which have occurred in recent years, would appear to be have been an accident which could have been avoided. The oversight of not attaching the Kill Cord or not attaching it correctly is repeatedly made by hundreds of people each year - I personally witness even boating professionals failing in this regard. We here at PBR are responding to this on-going oversight on the part of boat owners and operators by taking the initiative to issue white on red console dashboard warning stickers - 'Attach Kill Cord'. These will be supplied free of charge to all our readers and supplied to all manufacturers, boat builders, sea schools and yacht clubs throughout the UK. In addition, we will push for legislation to make sure that such a console warning sign is mandatory on every boat sold/in use in the UK along with the use of the Kill Cord itself. It is our view that fines should be imposed on any craft not abiding by these basic safety requirements. (In the same manner that fines are imposed on car drivers not wearing seat belts.) PBR is also in favour of a UK mandatory licence of basic competency before a boat of a certain power can be driven. We shall be pushing hard for such legal requirements to be made. The RYA have been notified of our intentions Hugo Montgomery-Swan – 01884 266100 / 07968 321617. hms@powerboatandrib.com
Editor/PBR

Britain’s Best Value Powerboating Magazine

www.henshaw.co.uk
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2013, 12:17   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: exIsa
Make: Italboat
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp outboard
Hello,

this is my first post on here, as I like to read the comments, but don't have anything useful to add....

I have been following the discussion about kill cords following the terrible Padstow tragedy and it has made me think that ours should be replaced as they came with our boat that we have had a couple of years, so I have no idea how old (and therefore brittle) they are.

When buying new kill cords, are they all the same or are there any on the market that are considered more robust than others (the clips on ours are particularly pathetic in my view)?

Thanks

Rachel
Old 08 May 2013, 14:14   #3
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel View Post
When buying new kill cords, are they all the same or are there any on the market that are considered more robust than others (the clips on ours are particularly pathetic in my view)?

Thanks

Rachel
Welcome to RIBnet rachel

There are many "aftermarket" killcords for sale. Some do not have a core of wire or nylon threads and are simply plastic coils. These can become brittle and snap when pulled. The plastic coil is just to provide spring, not strength, so always look for one that has a core material - this provides the strength. Test by sharply pulling taut. OEM killcords SHOULD be OK but test regularly throughout the season, especially if stored in sunlight. As others have cautioned - look carefully at the clips and crimps holding the ends on - if they look unsafe, they probably are.
Old 08 May 2013, 14:30   #4

Length: 7m +
I hope the campaign by Powerboat and Rib magazine does some good so well done for trying, I will support. As to the free stickers I cant really see that working but maybe it might remind some people. I personally think the key thing is awareness and training, I personally never forget to use my killcord and I dont have a sticker, but dont put it on if im just manouvering from the pontoon to the fuel berth (100 yards) but very small risk at 2 knots in flat water. and no dont bother anyone to have a pop at me for that.

I personally would favour legislation around all small boat owners doing the PB2 before getting on the water, as that will teach numerous safety related useful information plus general boat handling.

As to the question of types of kill cords, yes there are differences, some do not have a wire running through the middle and hence can get brittle and simply snap. You need the type with the wire running through, easy to identify just look at the core.

I would be in favour of us boaters if we see small boat owners out and about without kill cords to remind them butyou just know your going to get a lot of abuse back, perhaps harbor masters on patrol, marine police patrols, and RNLI when out and about and not on a incident could be encouraged to 'educate' people they see being dumb.

Perhaps some posters at marina's and slipways would also help.
Old 08 May 2013, 14:54   #5

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
It is our view that fines should be imposed on any craft not abiding by these basic safety requirements. (In the same manner that fines are imposed on car drivers not wearing seat belts.)

Sorry I don't agree with that statement. We have fines for cars for not wearing seat belts, speeding, using mobiles while driving etc, etc, has it stopped it

I for one value my rights and giving them away so the Government can make money out of something that will not work I am staunchly against.

Accidents do and always will happen even to the best of us, mindless morons will always be amongst us whether it be in boats or cars and implementing fines is not the cure but just make the cost of boating get higher and higher. The British coast is free to roam and I for one would like to keep it that way.

Like it has been mentioned in previous posts ... education, education, education, all the time for me
Old 08 May 2013, 15:05   #6

Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel View Post
Welcome to Ribnet, Rachel.

All kill cords are not the same, unfortunately. Our boat was supplied new by Ribcraft with two Suzuki kill cords (and, incidently, a sticker on the console with a reminder to use the kill cord). One of the kill cords was kept as the 'main' one and the second wrapped around the navigator's grab handle as the spare. A couple of years ago, I lost the 'main' one and purchased online what was described as a 'Suzuki kill cord'. It fitted fine but had a plastic clip rather than a metal one for the operator's end (although the clasp to go under the stop switch was plastic on both). I assumed that this was an update from when we purchased the boat.

Because I preferred the stiffer metal clip, the plastic one was kept as the spare even though I subsequently found the lost original.

The spare was never used but hung on the grab rail for two years until, when out on Sunday (the day of the Padstow tragedy), I noticed something on the deck: the metal collar holding the clasp onto the spare kill cord had broken off leaving the clasp to fall to the deck and, on inspection, had clearly rusted through. Neither of the genuine Suzuki kill cords has a speck of rust on them after over six years of regular use.

I would, therefore, advocate only using manufacturer's own products rather than replicas despite the small additional expense. It will also guarantee that it has the metal core running through it as mentuioned above. For what its worth and for anyone needing it, the Suzuki part number (which also fits Mariner engines) is 37823-92E01.

David
Old 08 May 2013, 15:22   #7

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
I have a kill cord that has fittings for every type of kill switch which I find very useful when swapping between boats with different types of switch. I know that mine will fit anything I am asked to drive. Not sure if it has a metal core though, I'll go and have a look.
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2013, 15:30   #8

Town: Southampton
Boat name: exIsa
Make: Italboat
Engine: 150hp outboard
Thank you all for the advice on kill cords. I will take a close look at ours before we take the boat out again.

I'll see if I can get hold of the manufacturer devices (though I can never remember what the make of the outboard is!!!) as I did wonder whether the 'non branded' cords would be as robust.

I'm also going to have a rethink about where we keep our spare (normally buried in a locker).

Rachel
Old 08 May 2013, 15:41   #9

RIBase
This is the one I use

http://www.force4.co.uk/7560/Force-4...of-7-keys.html

It has a fibre core not metal, no idea if that's good of bad?

The clip that goes round your leg is plastic not metal so will not rust.
Old 08 May 2013, 15:45   #10

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Interesting e mail sent by Hugo Montgomery-Swan of PBR Magazine "To All Members of Boating Industry- KILL CORDS"

Kill Cord Campaign to be Launched by Powerboat & RIB Magazine.

we will push for legislation to make sure that such a console warning sign is mandatory on every boat sold/in use in the UK along with the use of the Kill Cord itself.
What size of boat would this proposed legislation be applicable?

Quote:
It is our view that fines should be imposed on any craft not abiding by these basic safety requirements. (In the same manner that fines are imposed on car drivers not wearing seat belts.)
And who would police this crazy idea?

Quote:
PBR is also in favour of a UK mandatory licence of basic competency before a boat of a certain power can be driven. We shall be pushing hard for such legal requirements to be made. The RYA have been notified of our intentions
Can't see the need for this, licensing is required in the majority of European countries, and they have similar accidents.
Old 08 May 2013, 15:56   #11

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.moody View Post
This is the one I use

Force 4 Kill Cord with Set of 7 keys - Only £12.95 - Force 4 Chandlery

It has a fibre core not metal, no idea if that's good of bad?

The clip that goes round your leg is plastic not metal so will not rust.
It is not the catch itself that I have found rusts, but the metal crimps that are crimped round each end of the cable holding the plastic in a loop. The cheap ones appear to be chrome plated tin and rust away starting at the ends of the crimp.
Old 08 May 2013, 16:55   #12

Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokraider View Post
It is not the catch itself that I have found rusts, but the metal crimps that are crimped round each end of the cable holding the plastic in a loop. The cheap ones appear to be chrome plated tin and rust away starting at the ends of the crimp.
Exactly what happened with mine.
Old 08 May 2013, 17:02   #13

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokraider View Post

Is the rust visible? Will an inspection show if it's on the way out and needs replacing?
Old 08 May 2013, 17:10   #14
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.moody View Post
Is the rust visible? Will an inspection show if it's on the way out and needs replacing?
It was visible when I had one fail. I've had a couple of Yamaha pattern ones snap too as they've had no fibre core.

Regards to HMS's campaign,

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't get any government agencies involved in boating. They will simply do what they do best-ie, do a bad job at implementing a politically correct non-solution and cause everyone a bloody great headache, while the muppets will carry on as they always have and ignore the killcords .In the meantime the enforcement agencies will start to pile charge upon charge onto us for a service that doesn't actually exist and training costs will skyrocket.

I've had plenty of experience of this with the current implementation of the Drivers CPC, which is exactly the same scenario-a non-solution to a non-problem.

The stickers are a great idea, but legislation is NOT. Education wins every time as people will simply ignore legislation and there's nobody around to enforce it.

The only time I've EVER had any official boat close enough to mine to check if I'm wearing the cord is when Kraken999 was tied up alongside as we had a chat!

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2013, 17:25   #15

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
this is what ive used for the last few years as my main KC. length of thin rope, i find this doesnt get tangled like the red ones, and is just long enough to allow movement whilst changing drivers. loop tied on the end fits easily into the buckle on lifejacket whilst wearing gloves. i just change the plastic end occasionally - usually when the split ring starts rusting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1204.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	79736  
Old 08 May 2013, 17:27   #16

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
Sorry I don't agree with that statement. We have fines for cars for not wearing seat belts, speeding, using mobiles while driving etc, etc, has it stopped it

I for one value my rights and giving them away so the Government can make money out of something that will not work I am staunchly against.

Accidents do and always will happen even to the best of us, mindless morons will always be amongst us whether it be in boats or cars and implementing fines is not the cure but just make the cost of boating get higher and higher. The British coast is free to roam and I for one would like to keep it that way.

Like it has been mentioned in previous posts ... education, education, education, all the time for me
im with you on this one kerny
Old 08 May 2013, 17:33   #17

Town: brierley hill
Boat name: rocknrolla
Make: osprey
Engine: outboard
[QUOTE=kerny;535094]Sorry I don't agree with that statement. We have fines for cars for not wearing seat belts, speeding, using mobiles while driving etc, etc, has it stopped it

Well ced Looeythings only go as fast as the peps want them to,even pro's av accidents.prevention is beta than cure looey, u can tek the hoss t the water
Old 08 May 2013, 17:39   #18

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
I completely agree with NOT legislating for this. The deerstalking world has had to suffer the knee-jerk reaction of with the introduction of a competence certificate that makes a number of individuals rich, courses prohibitively expensive & does absolutely nothing to stop the cowboys. Once they start they'll keep adding more details until you won't be able to launch in the UK without several pieces of paper & enough kit to sink most sibs !!!!
By all means encourage people with stickers and advice but at all costs avoid legislation. Anybody that ever has to deal with any government department knows that it's horrendous !!
Old 08 May 2013, 17:46   #19

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post

+1 Kerny well said, lets just keep it simple and use the bloody things
Old 08 May 2013, 17:48   #20
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I will go as far as to say that if HMS goes ahead with a campaign to put legislation in place, I will not renew my subscription to Powerboat and Rib.
Campaigning for legislation is tantamount to going into a dockers pub wearing a dress and lipstick.

You're either going to get beaten up or raped and you'll have your wallet stolen.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote