Old 09 May 2013, 06:33   #81
Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Volantis
Make: Rib-X
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard 175HP
The killcord alone isn't always infallible. A weakened spring and/or grains of sand can stop the button retracting when the killcord is removed. Check the engine kill mechanism is working as part of your preflight checks.

Volantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2013, 06:38   #82
Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Originally Posted by Volantis View Post

Britain’s Best Value Powerboating Magazine
should be ashamed of this knee jerk reaction, or worse still, attempt to use a tragedy to promote itself.[/QUOTE]

It certainly looks that way to me as well.

Member of S.A.B.S. (Lancashire Division)
kerny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2013, 06:38   #83
RIBnet supporter
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x 115 Etecs/DF140a
MMSI: 235060745/235111389
FFS!! I have my Coastal Skipper/ICC & getting on for 30 years experience & I FORGOT to clip on my kill cord when we had our near miss that I 'fessed up to on page 1. No amount of legislation, tinpot courses etc would have changed that, it was human error pure & simple. Legislate all you want, it won't change anything apart from criminalise yet another ( tiny) section of society. I also suspect legislation wouldn't have made a jot of difference at Padstow last weekend. So stop navel gazing, get on with it & use your kill cords, or not, it's your choice but be prepared to live with the consequences, if you're lucky.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2013, 06:47   #84
Make: MY ONE
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2*350
It is sad to die people for a fucking cable. All laws are useless if we do not protect ourselves
m3mm0 SR ib
m3mm0s rib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2013, 06:48   #85
RIBnet admin team
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Originally Posted by Starovich View Post
Come stick your arm in my 90 HP or I'm sure I can find a 9.9 I can borrow and you can stick your leg in there?!

I've seen people fall out of tenders with 2hp, that could kill you just as fast as a 350hp

A lump of metal wizzing round at 100's RPM + is going to make a mess of any flesh and bone.
The closest I ever came to getting chopped up by a prop was actually by my DT2.2 Suzuki. It wasn't fitted with a killcord from new-just a stop button. I slipped on the floor of the dinghy as I left the ferry slip in Fowey and it rotated 90 degrees, kicking it sideways on the Avon Redcrest's outboard bracket which in turn, whacked the throttle open.

The result was me nearly going in backwards as the dinghy rotated rapidly on the spot.I'd have been a real mess if I'd gone in.

It now has a kill cord mechanism fitted.
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2013, 06:50   #86
Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
Pikey, I too have a lot of experience and qualifications, and too on occasion have forgotten briefly to attach.

I am not saying that it would be an instant fine if caught not wearing a kill cord, but something more like, 1 warning, 1 required training course, then increasing fines (within a set time period).

What i would like to see is a method of strongly encouraging everyone to wear a kill cord but for people who refuse, some method of recourse of they fail to do so.
Starovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2013, 08:50   #87
Town: plymouth
Boat name: Viper
Make: humber
Engine: Johnson 70 VRO
My point about the 150hp limit, or there about is that your not going to be doing the kind of speeds i.e 50 odd knots that twice the power will allow. - maybe 38 - 40. the sensation of speed does come quicker in smaller boats and therefore you'll drive slower. There is always the few boats that buck the trend, ultimately horsepower limits both speed and acceleration.
jwfrary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2013, 02:18   #88
Town: Cheshire
Boat name: Gollione
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: 90hp
HMS is entitled to his personal opinion however I am annoyed that he should use the PB&R magazine title as a campaign vehicle. It is clear from this forum that the vast majority of interested parties (currently 78%) are against a campaign for legislation. As a supporter (subscriber) of the magazine I am aggrieved that by association I am seemed to also support this ill conceived campaign, which I stress I DO NOT!
I therefore wish for HMS to expend an equal amount of effort in ensuring that all the companies and institutions he has notified are made aware that potentially, the readership of PB&R do not actually support his personal views and do not want legislation.
I now regret buying a subscription to the magazine and will not renew if it's editor continues in this vain, how can I get a refund?

In regard to the free stickers, I commend the offer if it is genuinely designed to promote safety and not the magazine however I doubt the usefulness of these as they can be more easily ignored than the long bright red dangly cord that hangs from a console and flaps around unsecured in the breeze....
Perhaps if HMS we're to hand out free universal kill cords instead of stickers he would be seen to be making more of a contribution to safety than self promotion.

Finally, I am deeply saddened by the deaths and injuries reported recently and as a boating dad cannot bring myself to read all the comments and reports that have been printed.
My condolences to the surviving families.
colcreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2013, 10:04   #89
RIBnet supporter
Town: Hants
Boat name: Gemineye
Make: Ribeye S850 charter
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp
MMSI: 235097445
Spoke with a lifejacket and safety equipments manufacturer today and following the Padstow incident and feedback are now adding a clip/loop to their lifejackets for the kill cord clip to make is eaier to use- Already manufacturers are onboard
Rib charter and Rib hire with
C2 RIBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2013, 10:31   #90
Town: St Andrew's
Boat name: Wee Boaby
Make: Avon searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 50 (four)
MMSI: 235907817
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
Spoke with a lifejacket and safety equipments manufacturer today and following the Padstow incident and feedback are now adding a clip/loop to their lifejackets for the kill cord clip to make is eaier to use- Already manufacturers are onboard
Thats you think it would back fire or cause hastle if we were to know which one ? just a long term thought incase they are asked again, and let other ones know some makers are doing something already.
No doubt other members will know makers and could qoute this ? or is it too early and create waves.

Just a thought as it's such a good move forward, hats off to you.

harryesd is offline   Reply With Quote