Old 22 January 2018, 20:40   #1

Length: 3m +
Kill Cord - please don't shoot me

I want to find something to criticise it for - but struggling except the price!

Yes I can find ways to bypass it, but would it be harder to accidentally ignore?

Or should I just stick to keeping my kc on the life jacket?
Old 22 January 2018, 21:12   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post

I want to find something to criticise it for - but struggling except the price!

Yes I can find ways to bypass it, but would it be harder to accidentally ignore?

Or should I just stick to keeping my kc on the life jacket?

The price was better than I expected. I think it encourages you to remove the KC and leave the engines running to work the fenders etc, which seems to me to be bad practice.
Old 22 January 2018, 21:26   #3

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Seems a bit "Heath Robinson".
I think once the batteries went flat it would be consigned to the bottom of a locker.
Old 22 January 2018, 21:31   #4

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Interesting could perhaps help in some situations, when you want the motor running and no one at the helm...........

Cheap enough, proximity like keyless cars is answer it will take a little while longer and has it own issues but unless these are fitted as standard by pretty much every dealer in the uk/eu/world from now on and with every engine sold I don’t see it making a huge difference as they people who will buy them are the people who will wear a cord....
Old 22 January 2018, 21:37   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
The price was better than I expected. I think it encourages you to remove the KC and leave the engines running to work the fenders etc, which seems to me to be bad practice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Interesting could perhaps help in some situations, when you want the motor running and no one at the helm...........
And there in rests the possible problem!

Quote:
Cheap enough, proximity like keyless cars is answer it will take a little while longer and has it own issues but unless these are fitted as standard by pretty much every dealer in the uk/eu/world from now on and with every engine sold I don’t see it making a huge difference as they people who will buy them are the people who will wear a cord....
Oh I didn't want to go there with this! We've discussed it before. But a proximity sensor would only work if it knew it was being "worn" not in a locker etc...
Old 22 January 2018, 21:45   #6

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
And there in rests the possible problem!

Oh I didn't want to go there with this! We've discussed it before. But a proximity sensor would only work if it knew it was being "worn" not in a locker etc...
Indeed, but how many kill cords are seen looped over the throttle? Smart watch style with pulse rate sensor is the answer I guess unless helm has a heart attack then the motor conks out.......

Can’t design for stupid........ I know I try every day

I view you need to find out how many lives the seatbelt warning alarm have saved since introduction was mandatory

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F263278469728
Old 23 January 2018, 10:43   #7

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
I can't say I've ever had a problem using the basic twirly whirly kill cord,, attached to drysuit zip or life jacket 👍😊
Old 23 January 2018, 10:53   #8

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I must own up to forgetting to attach the kill cord now & then, however, I have a failsafe alarm to remind me. She sits in the passenger seat[emoji57]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 11:32   #9

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
as mine is attached to my LJ semi permanently i cant start the engine without attaching the business end.

If i'm not in a position to control the engine, out of reach of the controls, the cord will be disconnected, no £90 no battery, no problem.

Wife has the same in case I fall out, and there is a 3rd attached to the back of the seat where it cant reach the dash in case one of the other 2 fail.

Don't see why people are trying to build a better mousetrap?
Old 23 January 2018, 13:28   #10

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I must own up to forgetting to attach the kill cord now & then, however, I have a failsafe alarm to remind me. She sits in the passenger seat[emoji57]
[emoji12] [emoji106]
Old 23 January 2018, 19:38   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
ooh - this one is much cheaper ;-)
Old 23 January 2018, 20:41   #12

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
ooh - this one is much cheaper ;-)

Nah! She’s paid for[emoji6]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 15:24   #13

Length: 7m +
Yet another thing invented to reinvent the wheel, if you regular wear a kill cord you dont suddenly forget to put it on as it becomes second nature, especially if you dont keep the kill cord attached to the ignition when not in use. (lifejacket on, mooring lines secured to boat, key in ignition, kill cord on, start engine, etc) so a pointless bit of kit in my opinion if you allready follow good practicies.

Im also wondering how secure it is on your leg as you often dont just sit there for hours and not move, you stand up, lean back shift your weight, looks like it could work down your leg and then end up loose on your ankle. Im wondering if thrown out could it slip off.

Also wondering about salt water spray on the device and the magnets etc.

Not really needed in my opinion. spend the money on some training instead. lol
Old 26 January 2018, 18:03   #14
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Boris, I’m not really disputing that the same problem is easily avoided by good habits BUT people have put kill cords on legs for decades, fitted properly they are fine - this one will alarm if it is not tight on the leg so if it did slide down it would alert you.

Magnets also work remarkably well under water. So whilst it may be a solution looking for a problem I think you might be unnecessarily critical of it.
Old 26 January 2018, 18:21   #15

I never thought the day would come.....I 100% agree with poly on this one.

Whilst I'm not buying one it has to be better idea than the wireless ones we have seen recently as atleast it is a reminder to wear it.

I must admit sometimes I've done maybe 10-20 miles then noticed it isn't attached. Infact I once went from port Glasgow to portavadie and when I got there noticed it wasn't clipped on, probably circa 40 mile journey. In my current boat the clip is in the centre console so both me and wife would need to forget about it now as very visable but this idea would avoid that potentially happening in my case.
Old 27 January 2018, 13:06   #16

Town: Cork
Boat name: Cúr na dDonnta
Make: Excalibur + Zapcat
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc120TDI,Tohatsu50
Kill Cord - please don't shoot me

I’m on record admitting to occasionally finding I’m under way without being clipped in. It happens despite my being religious about using one spending a lot of time solo. Coming into a pier and discovering it’s not accessible after clipping out to handle lines and you head on but forget to clip in. Unclipping to tidy the lines after putting out and finding you’re drifting down onto a submerged pot marker, you grab the throttle and get clear, again forgetting to clip in. It happens to people with a lot of time in RIBs and it happens even more often to Newbies who haven’t had the time to form the good habit. So this looks like a safety enhancement for sure, especially for newbies and it’s not unreasonably priced for a potential life saver so credit where credit is due.
Old 27 January 2018, 13:55   #17

Although the question is really - why do you have to unclip so often?

And if you do, what protection do you have when you do...

My personal preference is to have the KC permanently on the life jacket. Can't start without it. Move to handle lines - engine stops..

But not so great for Sailing Clubs etc who might have 6 people handling the same boat over the day... we struggle enough with VHFs in LJ pockets - you get to the boat and discover the VHF has walked ashore with the previous crew,