Old 22 April 2015, 14:35   #41

Length: 4m +
Lol, john, I suppose anti autharian mode kicked in when I got stopped in the car on Saturday for an 'insecure battery'. "But the battery is happy with life" didn't go down well with the rozzers

"Choice" is what is 'should' be about, and I used to wear it if I deemed it rough enough. That won't alter.
(Edit to add, that as I believe in the choice to wear or not, to call some folk in the thread title ,'morons', is a bit inflammatory, hence a ranty post..)

And I hope the beast does indeed get going again, for I'd far rather have a 4 in a gale as opposed to say a 7 metre one. They're no fun, even with a big engine.

Mate also has a sr 4.0 and he's stuck a yam 55 on the back, and I'll be interested in the comparison. A hell if a lit more power , but it weighs a tonne.
Old 22 April 2015, 14:45   #42
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert hates h2o View Post
to call some folk in the thread title ,'morons', is a bit inflammatory, hence a ranty post..)
Yes, I agree that it probably wasn't very helpful. I think it was done for effect, and it looks like it succeeded!
Old 22 April 2015, 14:49   #43

Old 22 April 2015, 16:46   #44

And re seat belts....
The Hidden Danger of Seat Belts - TIME

A quick google shows at least one risk analyst thinks things got worse.

Safer you are, worse you'll behave...
Old 22 April 2015, 17:39   #45

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
Quote:
And re seat belts....

Shows an opinion with no demonstrated facts.

heres another.
Old 22 April 2015, 17:47   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starovich View Post

heres another.
One by a person that works for a newspaper, one from a risk analyst...

Meh.

Only 'morons' would implement a universal "wear cord 100% of the time" or support it.

Cap size starovich?
Old 22 April 2015, 18:03   #47

Quote:
One by a person that works for a newspaper, one from a risk analyst...

Meh.

Only 'morons' would implement a universal "wear cord 100% of the time" or support it.

Cap size starovich?
Erm reading ability Robert?
Where did i say that?

Also, I believe the reverse is also true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert hates h2o
7 years on fishfarm with open voeboats with twin 50's , and never. It would be too unsafe to wear the cord. Yes, 'unsafe'.
With direct quotes like the above it is clear to me that it is you who has a one size fits all mentality.
Ill see your 7 and raise you 20+ more, on a huge variety of boats.

One cap size doesnt fit all, and your assertion that "It would be too unsafe to wear the cord. Yes, 'unsafe" is both narrow minded, uneducated and wrong.

Whilst I think it should be mandatory to use one, and others on here disagree vigorously the 1000's of years of collective experience say Kill cords should be used the majority of the time and will outweigh the neigh sayers 9999 to 1.

Deal with picking up the aftermath of a marine tragedy that could have been avoided, the parents, siblings and friends loss then come back and say they are unsafe.
Old 22 April 2015, 18:41   #48

Meh. I've lost more friends because of the brit submarines allowed to roam our coast than I have had a scratch because of killcords.

Take stats all you want , but 2 out of 3 people that support mandoratry kill chords , are as stupid as the other 1.
Old 22 April 2015, 18:49   #49

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Old 22 April 2015, 18:51   #50

Quote:
Meh. I've lost more friends because of the brit submarines allowed to roam our coast than I have had a scratch because of killcords.

Take stats all you want , but 2 out of 3 people that support mandoratry kill chords , are as stupid as the other 1.
Shall we get back onto topic which is not the mandatory use which has been heavily debated here, but the use at all.
It is clear that mandatory or not you won't use them, and while I know that darwin was correct, i hope it never befalls you.

In addition the person who wont listen to stats reason and common sense is just stupid.

I should have taken heed to my first post on this thread, god I hate it when i'm right!
Old 22 April 2015, 19:05   #51

Oh contaraire , I believe I have said I have used them in the past, and will use them in the future. .
Old 22 April 2015, 19:31   #52

Quote:
Oh contaraire , I believe I have said I have used them in the past, and will use them in the future. .
I see so you were lying when you said
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert hates
Originally Posted by robert hates h2o
7 years on fishfarm with open voeboats with twin 50's , and never. It would be too unsafe to wear the cord. Yes, 'unsafe'.
Old 22 April 2015, 19:37   #53

? Didn't just go in boats with cords at work......as I already stated.

Comorehendo problemo... Figures.
Old 23 April 2015, 06:09   #54

Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starovich View Post

heres another.
Too right that page shows a statement without factual basis - there's no way she's "Britain's biggest glamour model".
Old 23 April 2015, 08:55   #55

Town: London
Boat name: Quench
Make: Fairline
Length: 10m +
Engine: Volvo
Quote:
And re seat belts....

Homing in on this

Seat belts: another look at the data | John Adams

I've not had time to read it thoroughly, but based on a quick scan i think his argument is that road deaths for vulnerable users (cyclists & pedestrians) got worse whilst deaths for car occupants (the ones wearing seatbelts) reduced.

I'm not totally convinced about the stats in general (a single coincidental spike rather than long-term trend), but I get the impression that you were implying that wearing seatbelts was somehow worse for car occupants, which is not the claim.

Apologies if i've misunderstood what you were claiming.
Old 23 April 2015, 09:06   #56

Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
Is it not the case that seatbelts, like other safety features, give drivers a sense of invulnerability, tending to travel at higher speeds (and the need for more safety features to mitigate the increased risk, etc., etc.,)?

It is often suggested that deaths on the road would come down to almost nothing if cars were made from cardboard and there were big spikes coming out of the centre of the steering wheel.
Old 23 April 2015, 09:15   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughN View Post
Is it not the case that seatbelts, like other safety features, give drivers a sense of invulnerability, tending to travel at higher speeds (and the need for more safety features to mitigate the increased risk, etc., etc.,)?

It is often suggested that deaths on the road would come down to almost nothing if cars were made from cardboard and there were big spikes coming out of the centre of the steering wheel.
That is the claim, and I agree that risk compensation will be a factor, but i've not seen specific stats on whether our risk compensation tends to over-compensate or under-compensate.

Based on the stats presented that show car occupant deaths decreasing I get the impression that we're generally risk-averse and would under-compensate so whilst we might drive a bit faster through feeling safer (also due to airbags, anti-lock brakes etc. not just seatbelts), we'll still be less likely to be killed in resultant crashes, but unfortunately the vulnerable road users can pay a price if they are involved.
Old 23 April 2015, 09:18   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughN View Post
From a bikers point of view we are made of "cardboard", and there are spikes coming from our steering device (brake levers, handle bar ends etc), and on some roads guillotine on the central reservation(those wire dividers).

That dosent mean that wearing leathers and a helmet is not prudent and advisable, and that those precautions do saves lives.

Kill-cords do prevent death and injury there can be no rational argument to the contrary, I challenge anyone to find an MIAB or similar type of body, who have stated that the primary reason for a death or injury was the use of a kill-cord.
Old 23 April 2015, 09:30   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorabain View Post
That is the claim, and I agree that risk compensation will be a factor, but i've not seen specific stats on whether our risk compensation tends to over-compensate or under-compensate.

Based on the stats presented that show car occupant deaths decreasing I get the impression that we're generally risk-averse and would under-compensate so whilst we might drive a bit faster through feeling safer (also due to airbags, anti-lock brakes etc. not just seatbelts), we'll still be less likely to be killed in resultant crashes, but unfortunately the vulnerable road users can pay a price if they are involved.
Off on a tangent, but one thing that occurred to me some time ago was how the perception of speed can be significantly altered depending on the car you're in.

I went from driving an aged Citroen AX with no power steering/fancy brakes etc which used to shake and rattle, have massive wind-noise in the cabin, a sense of understeering when taking a mild corner at 40mph etc straight into my dad's fancy Nissan which I took for a test drive on my own, and found myself going significantly faster than intended because it was so quiet and mild-mannered. I was wearing a seat-belt in both cars, so the (unintentional) speed increase was independent of that (and airbags), was purely based on how well the car handled (and how quiet it was).

It made me think that maybe we should have mechanisms that deliberately rattle a bit when you go too fast.

Turning back to this topic, i don't think wearing a kill cord changes the perception of speed (/ability to handle bigger seas) either. Maybe those with longer boats that ride better in bigger seas end up taking more risks since they could end up in the drink in decidedly more unpleasant circumstances than the rest of us. However, as a leisure boater I have a choice about when to go out and how many to take with me. I appreciate that it's more complicated when it's your job and if you don't go out on your own in unpleasant conditions they may well find someone who will.
Old 23 April 2015, 19:50   #60

Length: 3m +
I think you are all missing the real question here...

How did the 'rozzers' spot you had a loose battery...