Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Keys

Afternoon all

My first post on here and I'm used to following forums in the diving world so appoligies if I slip into their methods of work.

I took delivery of my first (2nd hand) RIB last week after selling the yam inflatable on. I wastold that the keys were under the seat. When I looked the locker keys were there but not the ignition.

My question is, if you would please, how do I get hold of a new key. Are they like tractor keys and one fits all or like cars and it's a main dealer job?

The unit is a Quicksilver one, if it helps?

Many thanks

Andy
Old 03 January 2009, 21:11   #2

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Hi Andy, welcome to Ribnet, first i would go back to the previous owner and get him to locate the original, failing that if you dont have the key number you will have to buy another ign barrel, think the quicksilver ones are priced around £110, (partial guess) if you had a key number you could get one ordered from a Merc dealer,
iin the handbook, the key number may be written down somewhere, or try going to the previous owner and ask him to subsedise (is that spelt right) the cost of a new one.
Old 04 January 2009, 01:46   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Not sure if Quicksilver is the same, but it's rumored that there are only a dozen or so Yamaha keys.

Might be worth a try to "borrow" and try a bunch of other Merc keys, in the hopes that one will work.

You never know...

jky
Old 04 January 2009, 13:15   #4

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Had a new Yam one cut yesterday - only then realised how simple they are . I reckon pretty easy to start mine with a screw driver based on the pattern!

I'd go straight back to previous owner - hopefully one quick phone call & I'tll turn up for you . What other keys has he provided ? I would ( very very slightly ) be thinking about the history of the boat if no key turns up - if it was a car youd be thinging stolen in seconds. However not knowing anything about it its more likely to be nothing like that & youve bought it off you best man !
Old 04 January 2009, 17:06   #5

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
If its a Quicksilver one, the key number will be printed on the barrel. I can't remember if you have to take the barrel out or not, but it will be stamped on very small somewhere - it'll be a number followed by a letter. Replacement keys aren't much money from a Quicksilver/Mercury dealer/stockist - I think you get three in a pack. Alternatively post on here what the number is and someone might have a space they can sell you (I've got a bag full of assorted ones). There's sometimes ones on ebay too. HTH

Edit: thinking about it, I have a feeling the number is stamped on the bit that sticks out of the barrel where you put the key in. If you can't see it try rotating the barrel slightly as it might be around the other side. Alternatively you could try starting it with another small key - I've started them with all sorts of random keys before. Probably not too good for the lock though!
Old 04 January 2009, 21:27   #6

Town: N. Devon
RIBase
Many thanks all - I'll try and get to the boat during the week and have a look at the barrell.

I know the history of the boat as it comes from a club where I'm a member. The boat was brought down to me by another member as we no longer live close. No keys were with the thing and they can't be located at the club. We think that some one has ' put them somewhere safe'

Bless them.

Andy
Old 05 January 2009, 17:02   #7

Town: I.O.W
Boat name: Danger Donut
Make: 6.0 rib
Engine: Mariner F60efi
missing key

The key number will be on the barrel, sticker or stamped into the plastic, you need to know what make the controls are not clear from your info, quick picture will help, we have all the quicksilver keys in stock.At worst send the barrel and we can match a key. quick silver key £3.30 + vat complete switch £40 from memory .hope this helps
Jim Bembridge outboards
Old 11 January 2009, 19:28   #8

Town: N. Devon
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
The key number will be on the barrel, sticker or stamped into the plastic, you need to know what make the controls are not clear from your info, quick picture will help, we have all the quicksilver keys in stock.At worst send the barrel and we can match a key. quick silver key £3.30 + vat complete switch £40 from memory .hope this helps
Jim Bembridge outboards
Many thanks for the help all.

A key has been found at the club and it fits. It looks like a normal key to me not a RIB one. It is stamped 2A.
Is this a standard Quicksilver code or a code on a copied key?

If it's a quicksilver one I'll be ordering a couple of spares.

TTFN
Andy
Old 11 January 2009, 19:51   #9

Make: XS // Delta
Engine: 60hp // 2x90hp
That sounds like a standard quicksilver key code to me
Old 11 January 2009, 21:00   #10

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: True Blue
Make: Humber ocean pro 6.3
Engine: Mercury 150 opti
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
That sounds like a standard quicksilver key code to me
Certainly is and if you keep that number, you will always get a spare from any mercury/mariner dealer with no problem at all