Old 23 October 2002, 19:33   #1

Town: Salisbury
Length: 5m +
Keeping warm this winter

Would like to keep ribbing throughout most of the winter, however lets be honest it gets extremely cold

What would be of benefit is to try to reduce wind chill with a removable cover which goes from the bow up to a frame in front of console ( like a spray hood ) The cover could come up to just below eye level to give some protection

I notice batfalcon in his website has made such a cover & yet he lives in the med !

http://www.geocities.com/mandri/

Anybody else made up such a cover or know of any firms that sell this type of thing ?

Any other ideas to keeping sensibly warm ? for us paupers who cant afford a cabin rib
Old 23 October 2002, 19:50   #2

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Geko helmets make all the difference...you look (and feel) a bit silly but silly with a nice cosey head and no spray in the eyes is a good thing!

Have been out today, a nice big swell, F5-6 yet warm and snug!

Daniel
Old 23 October 2002, 19:52   #3

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
we've just bought some Fladden "expert" floatation suits for the school (and us). Used em last weekend, heavy frost overnight raw wind and a bit of rain for good measure. I'm stood there in drysuit thinking its time to revert to radio and first aid courses and said to clients "b****y cold isnt it". Unanimous reply from depths of hooded suits was "no not really!". Suits described by clients as the Dog's whatsits and as the real business. 2year waterproof guarantee
Having said that they're not breathable so they can get a bit damp inside and then that will get cold, but absolutely dead impressed so far. Prices were £89.99 for one piece suit and £119.99 for the two piece. We bought some of each.
(no we are not on any commision!!- just dead impressed)
I'll put some pics on when we have a film to develop (must buy wife digi camera for birthday!!)
Bought from fishing tackle shop in Morecambe (quaint seaside town north of watford)www.gerrysfishing.com
Old 23 October 2002, 20:10   #4
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Engine: Tohatsu 90
As the motorcyclists on this site probably already know, you can't beat a pair of the wifes tights under the dry suit for keeping warm.

Some of our local characters also wear them on their heads.

Also, a screen makes the world of difference.

Incidentally, has my computer developed a repetetive virus.

David.
Old 23 October 2002, 20:17   #5

I started wearing the tights after wife found a pair by the back seat of the car!
They pull at all the hairs on your legs though
Old 23 October 2002, 20:22   #6
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Originally posted by wavelength

They pull at all the hairs on your legs though
Sorry Dave, I forgot you were oop north. Its only the southern wusses who shave their legs.
Old 23 October 2002, 20:26   #7

Just singe em with t'blowlamp up ere lad.
Old 23 October 2002, 20:33   #8

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally posted by davidmanning
repetetive virus
There's a fix for this...

Click on the "profile" button for the name of the member who posted the affected message, scroll down past the details of the member until you see the blue bar across the screen (just under "engine" details), and then click on the link contained to the right of it. There! No more repetitive virus!

Now about this winter stuff...

The Geko helmets were out in force at Weymouth - you can get on with handling the boat instead of cringing every time a bit of wave decides to cover you... so much that we didn't notice that there was a foot of water in the back that the bilge pump couldn't deal with!

Dave, do the ferrets mind the blowlamp on your legs?
Old 23 October 2002, 20:36   #9

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
Dave

You lucky, lucky B******d having a blowlamp - down here we just use pumice stone

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2002, 21:11   #10

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Okay, on a more serious note to answer the question, during the 92 round Scotland Race we used a bow dodger at the front and it did make a big difference keeping the spray and wind off your lower parts. The frame was a cut down windsurfing boom and the cover heavy duty plastic stuff from a sail maker.

Don't have the problem on the latest rib as we hide behind a huge side by side console with a high windscreen. Brilliant bit of kit. Just wish I could find someone making them at a give away price for another rib.

Might be a winter project, I could even join Keith and sell the article to RI to pay for it, or would that mean being excommunicated from ribnet?

Hate to think what the wind resistance is like towing it on the trailer though.
Old 23 October 2002, 21:19   #11

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Pete7,

Prosport RIBs http://www.prosportribs.co.uk/ have what looks like a pretty huge console, and as the RIBs are very realistically priced, I wonder if they'd supply the console only at a decent price?
Old 23 October 2002, 21:23   #12

judging by some of these replies

I think i'm gonna freeze this winter !

Any one got any pics of these spray hood fabrications

I used to wear a winter steamer wetsuit when I used my stand up jetski years ago, kept well warm by simply wearing warm jacket over the wetsuit, gloves etc

just had to make sure I didnt fall in

a tight wetsuit however is not ideal for a sitting position in a rib, does your gonnads in
Old 23 October 2002, 21:24   #13

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Good console, remember seeing one on a 9m rib last year at JMT, however they are very long as well as wide and I want to keep the deck space.

Calling JK, where did you get the one in Pheonix made if you don't mind me asking ?

Regards

Pete (the one with the rib)

Matiboy, wet suits don't work very well out of the water "wind chill" across the material especially if wet is the problem. Now I do have a heated jacket for use on my honda firestorm in the winter. Adjustable resistor keep the temp perfect. Oh and there is a cigarette lighter on the rib too, now then

http://www.chilliheatedclothing.co.uk/index.htm
Old 23 October 2002, 21:27   #14

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Matiboy...

...sounds like you need a dry suit? They take a bit of getting used to and still become anoying after 10 or more hours even when you have had one for years, but quite poss. the best £200 or so i ever spent. Mines lasted 4 years now i think, just gotta look after it.
Old 23 October 2002, 21:52   #15

Heated jacket

now there's a thought as I do have a ciggi lighter point on console ??

Wonder how much this would chew out of a boat battery ?

Have got half a dry suit at present ( bottoms)which I use for launching to keep dry, but you are absolutely right dry suits can be a pain to wear

Do any people have experience of using comfort collars on a dry suit, which takes the pressure off your neck ?
Old 23 October 2002, 21:52   #16

Town: Bromley, Kent
Make: GS209
Length: 6.137
Engine: 4.3ltr 210hp Volvo Penta
I think that some of you (if you haven't already) should have a look at the 'wooly bear ' full body fleeces that go under the dry suit. We use them for diving and have had no problems even at extreme temperatures, thermal underwear can also be used under that as another layer. They are advertised on most of the dive shop sites. A good thick pair of dive gloves would also help.

Pete (the one without the RIB)
Old 24 October 2002, 08:55   #17
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally posted by Pete7
Calling JK, where did you get the one in Pheonix made if you don't mind me asking ?
It's another Alan Priddy design, although I had it made an extra few inches taller (because I'm just a bit taller than him!).

It has proved to be an excellent design (albeit not the sleekest!) with loads of really dry space inside and plenty of space for mounting instruments. Its width means that it gives a surprising amount of protection too.

My personal preference is to have the console as wide as possible. If you try to leave enough space to easily walk round it then on anything but the largest RIBS the console will be too narrow. In practice I found that getting round the console to go forward was no problem, even if it meant stepping on the tube. Others may have different views about this.

John
Old 24 October 2002, 09:33   #18
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Matiboy and Flanker
I have always had a problem with the neck of a drysuit.
As you sweat underneath it, it becomes very uncomfortable after a few hours. I asked Ravenspring if there was an answer, and was told "No".
Flanker, you seem to indicate that you can wear some sort of fabric collar underneath, but surely this will wick into the drysuit all the rain and spray that you can be constantly exposed to, with the resultant effect that your clothes become soaked?
Am I missing something?
Old 24 October 2002, 09:55   #19

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
Wooly Bear

Hi Brian

The wooly bear suit comes up just below neck line so that the seal of the drysuit is still pressed against the skin. They are uncomfortable thing but the new breathable ones are suppose to be really good and very comfortable. Oh yes and very expensive too. I put a load of talc around the neck seal and that seems to help a lot.

Julian
Old 24 October 2002, 12:20   #20

Town: Upavon, Wiltshire
Boat name: Dromedary
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.55
Engine: Honda 130
I take it you have all trimmed down the neck seal so that it fits your neck size ??

As a diver I always use a wooly bear in the cold under a dry suit and have been diving in water at -1C and was still very warm. Some of the thinsulate suits are very good.

John