Old 07 February 2019, 11:55   #1

Town: Plymouth
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 200
MMSI: 232019634
Keeping my bottom clean

HI All,

My 6.5m RIB is currently on a pontoon as I await a floating dock coming free, for that reason she is not antifouled.

At this time of year growth is not too bad, but I want to keep her bottom as clean as possible as regularly as possible. Definitely don't want to pay for lift and power wash, so was looking at using an extending brush of some kind, similar to the ones used for washing conservatory roofs etc.

Does anyone else use this method successfully, or used other methods of on water cleaning?
Old 07 February 2019, 20:43   #2

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
If you just keep using it and don't stop moving then it doesn't give the weed much time to grow :-).

With our old RIB that lived in the marina year round, we'd only haul out once a year for scrub and maintenance, and that wasn't anti-fouled.

There are some "special" (presumably boating-priced) brushes and scrubbing devices to try and help with just this, e.g.: https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/gear...g-system-66045 . We used to have one for the sailing yacht, but never found it that useful in terms of being able to generate enough pressure and being able to guide it around all the chines and edges, etc.

With our RIB, admittedly in the Summer, we'd just anchor in the shallows and scrub it off, or put it on the beach, although I can appreciate if you're talking about the current season that may not be highly desirable!

Failing the above, do you have or can you borrow a trailer to just haul it out and scrub off occasionally if you want to?
Old 08 February 2019, 09:40   #3

Town: southampton
Make: ribeye
Engine: 140 suzuki
No easy answer, you pay someone to do it or you get down and dirty and do it yourself I'm afraid. On a calm sunny day in the shallows, give the bottom a scrub and keep on top of it as it grows back so quickly. Leave it a few weeks too long in the summer and then it becomes a real chore to clean, especially when the barnacles begin to attach... Once your on the dry dock you'll have no problems.
Old 08 February 2019, 09:53   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
worth a look

Ultrasonic Antifouling
Old 08 February 2019, 09:56   #5

Town: StPetersburg Russia
Boat name: Ocean Devil
Make: Scorpion 8.6m
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar 315hp
MMSI: 211579640
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Just extensively discussed in a German boat forum this week but nobody there with any good experience
Old 08 February 2019, 10:02   #6

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrider View Post
Just extensively discussed in a German boat forum this week but nobody there with any good experience
states

There is no better way to prove SonicShield’s intelligent ultrasonic antifouling systems effectiveness than to see the results for yourself!
Try SonicShield on your boat for 6 months and if you are not completely 100% satisfied return it to us for a refund *

nothing to lose IMO
Old 08 February 2019, 15:05   #7

I've read about Sonics in the past, not worth it for my present boat as going onto a floating dock within the next few months.

Thankyou for your advice everyone, I'll start with a conservatory roof brush tomorrow. It's only a little slime at the moment so should be relatively easy to keep clear.......famous last words.
Old 08 February 2019, 16:14   #8

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
3m doodlebug pads (the soft ones) work wonders for scrubbing the hull. Buy a Surehold extending pole and doodlebug pad holder and you've got a really good setup for this.

I work on a 30m yacht; we installed several "Sonihull" devices a few months ago to stop our sea-chests getting gunked up with growth. So far they've worked really well and there is minimal growth in those areas. Ours are 220 volt but I guess there must be 12v models on the market.
Old 09 February 2019, 17:04   #9

Boat name: HAPPY NOW
Make: Cobra
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 350
I hope you are enjoying the new RIB? I am just browsing through the 2019 Force 4 catalogue and on page 199 there is a hull scrubbing system called Scrubbis for £85, might be worth a go.
Old 10 February 2019, 07:37   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutty View Post
I hope you are enjoying the new RIB? I am just browsing through the 2019 Force 4 catalogue and on page 199 there is a hull scrubbing system called Scrubbis for £85, might be worth a go.
Loving the new RIB thank-you. I plan a trip around to Plymouth this year, so would be good to meet up for a beer and natter maybe. I'm with MDL so will have a couple of nights at QAB.