Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Something isn't right. You have the same anchor locker as I do, my anchor line always comes out as it went in.

What- Size, length and type of warp are you using?
Type and size of anchor?
Length and size of chain?
1 have about 50 meters of a warp not sure of the thickness but it is probably 12-15mm

10 meters of chain and a plough anchor which I have fixed down in teh locker using a Ubolt so it does not fly around.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2009, 20:19   #22

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Quote:
I remember someone having a reel of flat webbing that seemed to work well and took up very little space.
its ok letting it out as long as there is not an appreciable tide run, but a pain retrieving. It isnt practical to wind it in as you retrieve as it acquires dozens of twists in it. We had one at Falkland Conservation on their little 5m Attaque. Took up no room at all going out but it was all over the deck coming back and took lots of time restowing on the shore. We use rope and drop it in the anchor locker uncoiled, put the anchor and chain on top of it and top it off with the sea anchor as a bit of packing before shutting and securing the lid. Never a problem but the lid is a major thing to stop it jumping about.
Old 29 July 2009, 08:42   #23

Town: Liverpool
Make: Avon, Aircraft
Engine: 60 etec, 75 mariner
I always thought it was called faking a rope as the navy's seamanship school taught me years ago here's a link I've found http://www.ehow.com/how_5197016_fake...line-rope.html but I suppose it does not matter what you call it if its still a pain in the arse!!!
Old 29 July 2009, 09:56   #24

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scousedeli View Post
I always thought it was called faking a rope as the navy's seamanship school taught me years ago here's a link I've found http://www.ehow.com/how_5197016_fake...line-rope.html but I suppose it does not matter what you call it if its still a pain in the arse!!!
True!
Old 29 July 2009, 16:22   #25

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
I do a fair amount of anchoring. I think the secret of no tangle is to keep the bitter end of the cable fast while hauling in - and paying out. I suppose it would be better to put an eyebolt in the anchor locker, but I just make the end fast to the console hand rail and leave it there while paying out and hauling in. (It's made fast properly to the painter with a rolling hitch and a cleat as back up when anchored - the hand rail just keeps the end clear of everything.)

When weighing anchor, I just let the rode (8 plait) find its own way into the locker - maybe spread it out a bit with my foot to cover the fibreglass, let the chain land on top and put the anchor on that. Only then untie the bitter end from the hand rail and lay it on top of the anchor. It stays there. Then the locker lid. First thing when anchoring, make the bitter end fast, then lift out the anchor. Never had a tangle......until tomorrow, no doubt.
Old 29 July 2009, 16:34   #26

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
might be best setting up another thread here,but a good way of recovering a long anchor line if you are only going to move and dont want to pull the whole lot aboard is to clip a a large bouy or fender onto the main anchor line so that it can run along it.when you want to up anchor just set off in a semi circle and the bouy runs down and lifts the anchor ,with care it can be left towed behind when you stop again the anchor will sink and set again ,
Old 29 July 2009, 17:24   #27

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
might be best setting up another thread here,but a good way of recovering a long anchor line if you are only going to move and dont want to pull the whole lot aboard is to clip a a large bouy or fender onto the main anchor line so that it can run along it.when you want to up anchor just set off in a semi circle and the bouy runs down and lifts the anchor ,with care it can be left towed behind when you stop again the anchor will sink and set again ,
How does this work - new thread defo needed I think ...............
Old 29 July 2009, 18:44   #28

The bouy floats and the rope passes through a stainless ring (alderney ring) as you steam away the rope pulls through the ring bring the ancor to surface..... I think.
Old 29 July 2009, 18:52   #29

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
The bouy floats and the rope passes through a stainless ring (alderney ring) as you steam away the rope pulls through the ring bring the ancor to surface..... I think.
thats right chewy ,all it does is short scope the angle ,,you can use a large carabiner on to the anchor line as long as its free to slide along ,when at rest ,the bouy stays alongside the boat ,you dont need a massive float ,the reason why i said go around in a semi circle is its safer than running over the line,,you can just double back the opposite way the anchors set ,, only thing to be carefull with is when the line goes tight the anchor might not break out straight away ,though usually does so have crew holding on tight and dont go too fast ,saves loads of work if moving off a lot in a short time eg fishing .or diving ,and dont forget you will be towing anchor and bouy a long way back,regards mart
Old 29 July 2009, 19:59   #30

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
...a plough anchor which I have fixed down in teh locker using a Ubolt so it does not fly around.
I'd be interested to see that, Chris. Do you have a photo?
Old 29 July 2009, 20:09   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
How does this work - new thread defo needed I think ...............
Old 29 July 2009, 20:15   #32
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by alystra View Post
I do a fair amount of anchoring. I think the secret of no tangle is to keep the bitter end of the cable fast while hauling in - and paying out. I suppose it would be better to put an eyebolt in the anchor locker, but I just make the end fast to the console hand rail and leave it there while paying out and hauling in. (It's made fast properly to the painter with a rolling hitch and a cleat as back up when anchored - the hand rail just keeps the end clear of everything.)

When weighing anchor, I just let the rode (8 plait) find its own way into the locker - maybe spread it out a bit with my foot to cover the fibreglass, let the chain land on top and put the anchor on that. Only then untie the bitter end from the hand rail and lay it on top of the anchor. It stays there. Then the locker lid. First thing when anchoring, make the bitter end fast, then lift out the anchor. Never had a tangle......until tomorrow, no doubt.
That sounds like what I do - except my bitter end is left attached all the time to the locker. The only time I have had a tangle is when I have stuffed other things into the locker and so messed up the rope-chain-anchor layering.