Old 15 February 2007, 14:16   #11
Town: Sunny Ynys Môn
Boat name: Windchill 2
Make: Ring Powercraft 685
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 175
I use 9mm bungy cord and clam cleats to hold the trunks up. Bungy is bettwe than rope with this type of cleat in this application because it imposes its own "pull" on the cleat: rope just drops out.

When I fitted the trunks, I put grey soil pipe fittings with threaded and sealed caps through the transom so that I can close off the holes if I ever need to. The whole hole is set in gallons of Sikaflex.

Will post some pics if I can find the poor thing in the back of my shed!!

Windchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2007, 15:27   #12
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Originally Posted by Mugshot View Post
Saw a guy on the slip last summer and was amazed at how much water was pouring out of his elephant trunk, it just didnt seem to stop the whole time I was sorting my trailer, lighting board etc out, the point is there was a shocking amount of water on that rib and I wondered what on earth he'd been doing. Anyway saw him launching the next day, with his trunk down , he didnt fix it up at all
That water may have come in while he was waiting to recover. I've done that a few times, and while the tubes are just slightly below the waterline, the deck of the boat fills pretty quickly (depending on how the trunks flop into the water.) Get up on plane (or put it on a trailer, I suppose) and it disappears pretty quickly.

I remember diving in pretty nasty weather once; the swells were occasionally breaking over the bow of the boat while on the hook. When I got back in, the entire deck was covered in about 4" of water. Powering up, it all sloshed to the back (would have been about knee-high at the transom), but it emptied within a half mile of taking off. The diving that day wasn't really worth it.

jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote