Old 29 January 2007, 11:45   #1

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Just an idea.....

Wondering thoughts on an idea i have had, probably been done before, but any comments would be nice...

The other day i thought about what if there was a sun bed on our rib (humber ocean pro 6.3m) and would it be possible to make some sort of removable tent over the bow area/sun bed? for example using some sort of plastic, low profile plastic attaching point glued to tubes, then some means of holding up the tent material to allow internal space, whilst tying down to the tube fixings....... thoughts?

also i have been wondering if there is the possibility to create some sort of foam insert, which would be upholstered, creating a large sunbed filling the gap in between the front of the console, to the tubes, and all the way to the front. Any thoughts on this? if so any ideas for materials etc.....

lets see what people come up with

Btw this is my first post for a long long time... it seems as winter takes over, skiing becomes a priority, but now i can almost smell the coming of a new boating season!!!
Old 29 January 2007, 12:06   #2

Town: Southampton
Make: ZAR
Length: 9m +
We offer this option on the whole range of ZAR RIBs.

The cushions can infill the whole area forward and aft of the console and the tent can be used as a bimini, partial tent or full camper canopy:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TENDA 1.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	24584   Click image for larger version

Name:	TENDA 2.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	24585   Click image for larger version

Name:	TENDA 3.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	24586  
Old 29 January 2007, 12:12   #3

this possible on a humber ocean pro 6.3?
Old 29 January 2007, 12:13   #4

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD44
jbt offer both of these options...think it may be cover care who do the bow tent and they're also in Thornham Marina....
Old 29 January 2007, 19:12   #5

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
What I did in Marlin was take forward bow line which I made off on Console Rail (tight). I then made Rolling hitch 2/3rs from console tobow and made off to port and starboard cleats.
Then I took Cover and made off as usual back to console and tied off.
This gives the same effect as tent and when on mooring normally heads to wind. Obviously if tied up on mooring, one faces to oncoming weather.
It does work and the side ropes will stop rain puddles forming.
If I had a "Table stand" in bow, I would use hole with Support to keep Tent up at this point. Obviously you will need some sort of cushion to stop Pole chaffing cover.

Simple, quick and cheap. Oh it works too.

I didnt say I would sleep under it....
Old 29 January 2007, 20:13   #6

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
what about a zip system fitted to the tubes to afix the cover?? i believe henshaws have said this possible in a past conversation
Old 11 February 2007, 10:08   #7

sorry for taking a while to keep up wioth my original posting.....

my ideas are to find some kind of compact foam (large size) and cut it to size of the gap i wish to fill at front of boat, then some softer foam for the top layer which you would lay down on. then cover it with some kind of marine upholstry.

then for the tent like cover, to find some kind of low profileplastic or rubberish connections which i could glue to tubes, and then hook the edges of the cover to them when used. then maybe have some kind of pole which would either fix to or be permanetly fixed to a central point in the tent meterial and fixed into a premoulded slot which could be inbedded in the front sun bed (large foam insert). then it may be possible to be clever, and try to get slotted compartments into the foam insert (nicely covered) to make storage room eg for a cool box or somthing like that.

any ideas where i could get materials from, eg, the different densities of foam, the material to upholster the insert, the plastic foxing points to the tubes, what glue to use, and the tent material..... many thanks, would be interesting if i did go ahead with this!