Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 07 May 2011, 12:02   #1

Town: Traverse city
Make: Formenti ZAR 53
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Just a few questions on Hypalon...

I am relatively new to RIBs and this is my first so I'm not knowledgable on what is/isn't expected with hypalon.

Around the edges of some of the pieces of hypalon that are glued to the outside of the tubes as logos and such there are a few strings/fibers that can be pulled. Almost like with a string coming out of a shirt. Is this normal?

Some of the seams have split for about a 3mm or 4 mm deep in places. Is it good to re-glue these? How is the best way to go about that because I don't want to use solvent if it will take the paint or ruin the existing seam and it's hard to get in such a small gap with a brush. Would just putting glue in the seam after a rub down with water as best as I can do okay and hold?

Do you guys find that hypalon cleaner will take some of the paint off and smear onto other parts? I'm guessing it's normal however I'm not sure.

Finally, on the top of the tubes near where they connect to the hull there is areas that have any small grey dots. id this where the paint has been rubbed off?

Cheers

James
Old 08 May 2011, 16:44   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh321 View Post
Around the edges of some of the pieces of hypalon that are glued to the outside of the tubes as logos and such there are a few strings/fibers that can be pulled. Almost like with a string coming out of a shirt. Is this normal?
Perfectly normal. You can cut them off with a small pair of scissors or a razor blade, but leaving them won't hurt anything.

Quote:
Some of the seams have split for about a 3mm or 4 mm deep in places. Is it good to re-glue these? How is the best way to go about that because I don't want to use solvent if it will take the paint or ruin the existing seam and it's hard to get in such a small gap with a brush. Would just putting glue in the seam after a rub down with water as best as I can do okay and hold?
The latter likely won't work well. As far as solvent use, see below. If the to-be-repaired area is not leaking, and not structural with respect to the seams, you *may* be able to get away with using normal contact cement after a solvent wash, but it likely won't last all that long. Proper materials and procedures will get better results.

Quote:
Do you guys find that hypalon cleaner will take some of the paint off and smear onto other parts? I'm guessing it's normal however I'm not sure.
If it's new hypalon fabric (or as-new) it won't have "paint". The color is a component in the hypalon material itself. Anything that removes the hypalon material (strong solvents, abrasion, etc) will remove some of the colored material, revealing fresh colored material beneath. Hypalon tends to be pretty resistant to solvents; a quick wipe with an Acetone, MEK, or Toluene soaked rag shouldn't affect it at all.

Quote:
Finally, on the top of the tubes near where they connect to the hull there is areas that have any small grey dots. id this where the paint has been rubbed off?
Either mold or mildew spots, I'd guess. Boats spend a lot of time wet (or wettish, at least), and mold and mildew can be a problem. Often the fungus discolors fairly deep into the hypalon, and can be a pain to fully remove.

Hope this helps;

jky
Cheers

James [/QUOTE]
Old 10 May 2011, 13:59   #3

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
Pretty much agree with everything Jyasaki says. However, I would urge a liitle caution with the Acetone or other solvents. We generalley use these very sparingly on Hypalon or rubbing strakes. Also best to use a non coloured rag as the solvent can carry the rag colour into your hypalon.