Click Here to Login

Old 28 February 2012, 18:05   #1

Town: Bangor
Boat name: Lencraft 4.8m
Make: Lencraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: DT55HP Suzuki
Jockey position advice please!

Thinking about moving my jockey forward to try to keep more boat in the water (by putting my massive bulk further forward!) and to add a longer 2/3 jockey behind it for the family. Will likely just get a stainless steel frame made for this.

I think this is a sensible thing to do as I am replacing the control cables anyway so just need a steering rod. Am I mad?

Pic of where I am thinking of putting it, you can see the dirty mark where it was on the deck, its only 400mm forward. As always your advice is much appreciated!

I am hoping this and maybe some chain in a to be made anchor locker may calm this beasty down a bit and reduce its tendancy to chine walk! I should say I have recently fitted the 75HP engine and it is on the big side for the boat (max rated) so the console was screwed where it was by the makers for a different engine.
Old 29 February 2012, 01:14   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
You'll get bounced about more, but if you're chinewalking it might help. It used to help having more weight in the bow on my SR4.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2012, 08:30   #3

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
..but will also stay drier as the bow spray will go behind you!

Bottom line - if you need more seats you don't have much option.
Old 29 February 2012, 09:15   #4

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
I disagree with the thought it will help chine walking. My boat is very prone to this at over 40 knots with just me in it, but sitting somebody in the two seats behind calms it down a lot and several people have said they think the stability issues are due to weight distribution. Given that it is also better with low fuel (minus 100kgs or so from up forward) I think that's sound logic.

I had the helm seat put well forwards on Seawolf because I know how much difference it makes to how wet you get (or rather don't get) from past experience with the old boat when I often had a passenger who was much wetter than I was! The ride is a bit rougher but I'd rather be bumped a bit and not be in the car wash in windy conditions. It is perfectly stable up to 35 knots plus so the top end doesn't bother me much as I don't often go there - burns too much fuel!

So it's a trade off - further forwards = rougher but drier, keeps the nose down in the rough but may be less stable at speed when you're flat out.

Just my 2p!

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2012, 17:48   #5

Thanks chaps, looks like its not the worst idea in the world so will start to sort out cables tonight. Anyone got any 3.5m ish control cables and steering cable?
Old 22 April 2012, 16:00   #6

Well took a while but nearly finished, pretty happy so far, not sure how comfy it will be but can now seat 4 easily and have moved the weight forward a bit so hopefully will tame the chine walking a bit!

Just need to fit the jockey back rest and an additional leg and should be ready to test some night this week!