Old 16 August 2005, 08:02   #1

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
Jet Rib ?

A pal of mine is after a jetrib of some description, 2nd hand around £5-6kish. He would prefer a wheel over the handlebar type and has asked for my advice on the practicality of these little "toys". He wants to teach his kids to ski behind it and when they're old enough, let them take it for a spin. Any thoughts and anyone selling one ?
Old 17 August 2005, 16:18   #2

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Jet Rib

The Avon sportjet the most popular of this type. It runs a 90hp two stroke mercury lump and jet unit which isn't very economical. Also being an inboard engine in small boat, there isn't a lot of room left. You can just about get an Avon for £5-6k. The advantage is safety (no prop) and they do go quite well. Personally I'd go for a slightly bigger rib with an outboard and fit a prop guard. You'll get a hell of a lot more boat for your money.
Old 18 August 2005, 07:55   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Shiver
Make: Zodiac Medline II
Engine: Yamaha F150
RE: Jet ribs

I've had a zodiac projet 350 for 3 years now. We use the boat less as a yacht tender but more for port hopping and watersports. The engine in the projet is very competent , although is noisy as you'd expect from a two stroke and smokes a bit. Its fuel consumption isn't great and the position of the oil filler is a nightmare to get to. However, there is no boat quite like it. it tops out at about 45mph and gets there very quickly. perfect ski boat. the 350 is roomier than the equivalent Avon (320) and you can pick them up for less money. storage is limited to the back compartment and the anchor locker. Very manouverable, will turn back right on itself at 30mph and its easy to berth.

Overall a great boat and i'd recommend it. if you're looking second hand be sure to check the electronic speed box works as it is expensive to replace.
Old 19 August 2005, 11:40   #4

Boat name: Shaken Blue
Make: ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: outbord petrol
Send a message via MSN to hannah
whats the best size jet rib conveniant for waterskiing?

A friend of mine is getting a big cruiser soon , but is after a jet rib to stick on the back so we can still have some fun water skiing and co...
Old 19 August 2005, 18:47   #5

Boat name: Shiver
Make: Zodiac Medline II
Engine: Yamaha F150
RE: jet rib for waterskiing

I'd say for the back of a cruiser a Zodiac projet 350 or look at the new williams range with the four stroke engines ( the 325). the zodiac has more room than the equivalent avon for ski's etc. There is a zodiac 420 but is more money and two long for most cruisers to carry, plus not much differnet to 350.

Regards,

Alex