Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>Our local supermarket won't let me fill jerry cans, they stick to the letter of the law, 2x 5ltr plastic cans or 2 x 10ltr metal fuel cans - all with appropriate markings on for carrying petrol.

I see our local Tesco has recently put up a sign explaining exactly that.

I rarely need to buy more than 5l (for home testing) as we live 80mls from the sea and not wanting to drive with loads of petrol in the car I buy our fuel in the nearest coastal location fuel station to where we launch. So far I've never been refused 25l + 12l in plastic outboard tanks and I always ask first referring to them as "my boat tanks".

Our local Shell garage will let you fill anything as long as you're paying[emoji57]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2018, 13:14   #22

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Our local Shell garage will let you fill anything as long as you're paying[emoji57]
Yeh.

Stop the car where it's going to block their view and just work at the back of the car near it's fuel filler.
Old 02 May 2018, 15:38   #23

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
Yeh.

Stop the car where it's going to block their view and just work at the back of the car near it's fuel filler.
And our local supermarket 'authorises' every transaction, I've tried the above and if they're not 100% sure of your intentions ( I guess they use there CCTV system ), they won't turn on the pump They then eventually send out a member of staff in a high-vis to interrogate you - and ultimately start quoting fuel transportation regulations and how your a naughty boy , I'm not joking!!
Old 02 May 2018, 15:45   #24

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
Our local supermarket won't let me fill jerry cans, they stick to the letter of the law, 2x 5ltr plastic cans or 2 x 10ltr metal fuel cans - all with appropriate markings on for carrying petrol. So 20 ltr jerry cans are a no no Technically its also illegal to store fuel (petrol ) at home in jerry cans, again their oversize Don't you just love our nanny state

Pull up on to the pump on their blind side, place the cans near your car filler cap and go for it. Remember its easier to get forgiveness than permission!!!!!!
Old 02 May 2018, 21:46   #25

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Print out that pdf and give to them....

Quote:
Demountable fuel tanks, the petrol tank of a motor boat or similar vessel that has been designed so that it can be safely removed and re-affixed to the engine of the boat without leaking fuel.
Boat with 100l tank no issue, 3 5l plastic cans are an issue....... regs are all very good and designed to stop people storing 200l of fuel in their house a bit like they limit a packet or paracetamol to 16 tablets and only let you buy 2 packets ......
Old 03 May 2018, 07:42   #26

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
.......a bit like they limit a packet or paracetamol to 16 tablets and only let you buy 2 packets ......

I had exactly that recently. We were about to go skiing & I was in Tesco picking up the Euros. I thought I'd stock up on my recreational drug of choice at the same time...ibuprofen. Picked up 4 packs, got to the checkout...
" sorry sir you can only have 2 packs".
"Why?"
"Because you might be going to harm yourself"
"Would you stop me from buying 2 bottles of whisky & a bottle of bleach........?"
"No why?"
"Never mind"

So I picked up the 2 packs that the nanny state allowed me to buy & went straight back into the store, picked up another 2 packs & went through the self checkout.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 May 2018, 08:00   #27

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>So I picked up the 2 packs that the nanny state allowed me to buy & went straight back into the store, picked up another 2 packs & went through the self checkout.

Our small village petrol station has a one 5l can rule and being 100mls from the coast has little interest in "they're my boat tanks". They serve you and are a local place for local people... arguments re the law or guidelines are futile.

The other month I wanted 2x 5l though and asked if it would be OK. The old girl thinks a bit and says "we'll fill one can each at different pumps and *they* won't know we're together".

I looked round the deserted forecourt and street wondering where *they* were concealed... pondered how we could ever be described as "together" unless I'd made a dreadful mistake on a boozy night in the club... but went through the charade for the sake of not driving a 10ml round trip to the next nearest place.
Old 03 May 2018, 17:54   #28

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
Well over here in the states I can fill a 6 gallon portable container but they all have to have valves on the spout. Said valves are the worst thing. I’ve spilled more gas with them than I ever did in my youth. They tried to make them “automatic “, succeeded to a certain extent, they spill automatically.