Old 01 November 2015, 20:33   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: Leighton Buzzard
Boat name: no boat yet
Make: no boat yet
Length: no boat
Engine: no boat yet
Jepho's RIB purchase search thread

This is the thread where I will post possible purchases. I hope to see comments from the membership of RIBnet as to possible pitfalls. Thank you very much in advance for your time.

RIB #1
Here is the link to a well maintained RIB. It is a good size, looks to have had most parts replaced recently, has a lean burn engine, is well equipped and is MCA coded.

Humber Destroyer 5.8 plus Suzuki DF90

RIB #2
This boat is a bit more than my 10k budget but looks interesting. It is a 5.85 Ribcraft with twin Mercury 60s. Any thoughts on this would be most welcome.

Ribcraft 5.85 with twin Mercury 60s

RIB #3
This 7.1 metre Tohatsu has not been used for a couple of years. What sort of problems and costs am I likely to encounter. Is this a good purchase if it is running well?

Tohatsu 7.1 metre and Evinrude 150hp engine

RIB #4
Optimiser RIB looks interesting. Once again a little over budget at 12.5k but could be the right boat for me.

Optimiser 6 metre RIB and 125hp Optimax
Old 01 November 2015, 20:52   #2

Length: 3m +
Jepho

You may have posted elsewhere what your intended operation will be, but can you either link to it or post something...

Also Willk has recently commented that there is a risk of posting a mint boat thats listed for a good price that someone else from on the forum then see's it and snaps it up while the rib.net possie are advising you of all the pit-falls.

IMHO that looks a nice boat, although I'd want to know engine hours.
Old 01 November 2015, 20:57   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
You aren't planning to operate commercially so is a coded boat paying a premium for stuff you don't need? Likewise if the boat has been used commercially it has potentially had a harder life than something getting tlc from a private user.

I think the gazumping concern is irrelevant if the boat is on the usual sites as anyone looking for a boat like this should find it anyway.
Old 01 November 2015, 21:36   #4
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Jepho

You may have posted elsewhere what your intended operation will be, but can you either link to it or post something...

Also Willk has recently commented that there is a risk of posting a mint boat thats listed for a good price that someone else from on the forum then see's it and snaps it up while the rib.net possie are advising you of all the pit-falls.

IMHO that looks a nice boat, although I'd want to know engine hours.
Thanks, ShinyShoe. I am intending to cruise along the coast and a possible offshore trip or two after gaining some experience and knowledge. To which boat are you referring of the four I have listed? Possibly there was only one when you posted.
Old 01 November 2015, 21:40   #5

Those are quite different boats, one of them only has a couple of seats.

The humber doesn't come with a trailer if you never spotted that?. no windscreen to hide behind if that bothers you? In cold a console to hide behind makes a big difference, many survive without it though and wear a ski mask or the like. Engine is good though if the layout suits and buying their trailer for 1500 quid doesn't bother you. Or find another of course!

The ribcraft- I would want a single engine for your usage. Keeps maintainence down and probably cheaper to run. If you want twins then could do a lot worse though. I'm surprised a dive club haven't taken this tbh, good hull.

Tohatsu- It may be the picture but tubes look faded, bit of tlc may do the trick though. engine, Look for reports on evinrude ficht. 2 years sitting would worry me more than one in use for sure. If you like this one then I would have someone carefully check the motor.

Optimiser- never heard of it. Good engine though.
Old 01 November 2015, 21:41   #6
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
You aren't planning to operate commercially so is a coded boat paying a premium for stuff you don't need? Likewise if the boat has been used commercially it has potentially had a harder life than something getting tlc from a private user.

I think the gazumping concern is irrelevant if the boat is on the usual sites as anyone looking for a boat like this should find it anyway.
Hi Poly. I was thinking that an MCA coded boat would meet all of the construction standards and be well maintained. I take the point about a harder life. The DF90 has 105 hours on it from 2012/13 and everything but the hull has been rebuilt 2012/13. The extra cost would seem to be providing a boat to a known standard.

I agree about gazumping. The information is available all over the place. Money always talks... it is just a matter of making a decision.
Old 01 November 2015, 21:51   #7
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
Those are quite different boats, one of them only has a couple of seats.

The humber doesn't come with a trailer if you never spotted that?. no windscreen to hide behind if that bothers you? In cold a console to hide behind makes a big difference, many survive without it though and wear a ski mask or the like. Engine is good though if the layout suits and buying their trailer for 1500 quid doesn't bother you. Or find another of course!

The ribcraft- I would want a single engine for your usage. Keeps maintainence down and probably cheaper to run. If you want twins then could do a lot worse though. I'm surprised a dive club haven't taken this tbh, good hull.

Tohatsu- It may be the picture but tubes look faded, bit of tlc may do the trick though. engine, Look for reports on evinrude ficht. 2 years sitting would worry me more than one in use for sure. If you like this one then I would have someone carefully check the motor.

Optimiser- never heard of it. Good engine though.
Thank you, Xk59D. A helpful quick analysis. I did note the trailer for the Humber. I was thinking of transporting the boat to the south coast where it would live in a dry stack for a year or two. I have no idea how to transport a boat like that but I am sure that it could be done reasonably economically. I can manage without a screen if needs be. Is it possible to fit one to a console after market?

Point taken about twins and maintenance costs. I will find out more about the Evinrude ficht engines. Interesting that optimiser is not known.
Old 01 November 2015, 21:57   #8

Your dry stack place may go get the boat for you or rent a trailer for you to go get it for example, if you sign up for a place they will probably be keen to help! But companies do offer this service anyway.

Can fit pretty much what you like. Rip the entire lot up and fit new console and seats if you like.....£££££££
Old 01 November 2015, 21:57   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepho View Post
Hi Poly. I was thinking that an MCA coded boat would meet all of the construction standards and be well maintained. I take the point about a harder life. The DF90 has 105 hours on it from 2012/13 and everything but the hull has been rebuilt 2012/13. The extra cost would seem to be providing a boat to a known standard.
This was the boat I was referring to, it was the only one listed when I replied!
I don't think the construction standards would vary normally for a coded boat. or certainly not on anything the rib.net possie will approve of for you! You could code any of the first 3 boats listed at least. Coding means they do things like force you to put life rings on your boat. OK only £30 each but completely pointless as you'll presumably always have everyone in a lifejacket and a floating throw line (£10) would be as much if not more use. Coding also requires a liferaft. You'll struggle to find any ribber who thinks thats necessary even for the most aggressive of ribbing. But the coding book requires all these things so they have to be added. It certainly looks in the advert like you get these extras (sometimes coded boats take the extras (a) to stop someone setting up in competition so easily and (b) to kit out the replacement boat.

But there may be goodies from the commercial stuff you wouldn't turn your nose up at like EPIRBs etc. But beware an EPIRB thats being "given away" probably has a short battery life. Plus on a Rib I'd rather have a PLB than an EPIRB but again the standards will require an EPIRB over a PLB...
Old 01 November 2015, 21:59   #10

105 hours on a 2012/13 engine used commercially? How do they make that pay?

105 hours = less than 1 hour per week of use.
Old 01 November 2015, 22:05   #11

Deleted....mods edit away.
Old 01 November 2015, 22:08   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepho View Post
Thanks, ShinyShoe. I am intending to cruise along the coast and a possible offshore trip or two after gaining some experience and knowledge.
Alone? In company? 2 up or more than 2 up?

The Mrs will prefer to be beside you rather than behind you. Certainly when it gets rough and you are sitting behind its very hard to tell the helm to slow down etc if you aren't enjoying the bumps. Put more than 2 on board and there will always be people behind. BUT are they all "passengers" or "crew"?
Old 01 November 2015, 22:10   #13

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:

Maybe that's why they are selling it ....
Old 01 November 2015, 22:13   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
Maybe that's why they are selling it ....
But buying another... ...OK the replacement might improve to Modus Operandi but just seems a little odd to me...
Old 01 November 2015, 22:13   #15

Jepho's RIB purchase search thread

RIB #1
Here is the link to a well maintained RIB. It is a good size, looks to have had most parts replaced recently, has a lean burn engine, is well equipped and is MCA coded.

Humber Destroyer 5.8 plus Suzuki DF90

Ask for pictures of the metal frame bolted onto the transom and to the deck
Not how the transom left the factory ......
Old 01 November 2015, 22:18   #16

RIB #4
Optimiser RIB looks interesting. Once again a little over budget at 12.5k but could be the right boat for me.

Optimiser 6 metre RIB and 125hp Optimax[/QUOTE]

Too late, it's only the hull and trailer for sale now, the engine is going on another rib.
Old 01 November 2015, 22:26   #17
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:

Possibly why he's selling! It's an odd size / configuration for a sea safari boat.
Old 02 November 2015, 06:21   #18
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
Deleted....mods edit away.
I saw it before the post was deleted. Thank you Xk59D... 300hp may not have qualified as a first boat.
Old 02 November 2015, 06:26   #19
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Alone? In company? 2 up or more than 2 up?

The Mrs will prefer to be beside you rather than behind you. Certainly when it gets rough and you are sitting behind its very hard to tell the helm to slow down etc if you aren't enjoying the bumps. Put more than 2 on board and there will always be people behind. BUT are they all "passengers" or "crew"?
Mainly alone with occasional 2/3 up and all passengers. I may take one relative who has a commercial licence to help me learn the ropes but otherwise just leisure for me.
Old 02 November 2015, 06:31   #20
RIBnet supporter

Quote:

I guess they don't, hence the sale

Tags
rib