RIBnet supporter

Town: Leighton Buzzard
Boat name: no boat yet
Make: no boat yet
Length: no boat
Engine: no boat yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
I thought once you saw pictures of the metal contraption on the transom you wouldn't be making the 14hr return journey.
When I saw that rib moored in the harbour I thought "pile of pi5h" 👎
Hello 69cmw. That was a good thought.

I have written to the vendor explaining that unexpected circumstances mean that I am no longer in the position to purchase the boat. Apparently there is another interested party living at a distance who wants the boat so... hopefully all's well that ends well.
Old 11 November 2015, 20:02   #62

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
The Tohatsu you posted a link to earlier on looked quite tidy, lot of boat for the money ?

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2015, 21:12   #63

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
225 two stroke.....I'll bet that's burning more than 10 litres per hour
Old 11 November 2015, 22:45   #64

90hp on a 6.6m boat will probably mean you need to sit at 42-4500rpm for a decent cruise speed in the mid 20's. supposed to be decent engines for the time and rarely hear a bad thing about tohatsu engines. that RPM is higher than i like to cruise at but many people do keep their cruise in that range so probably nothing too out the norm.

it is unusual to see a 6.6 with a 90, they usually come with a 115 or 140 tohatsu and the 90 on the 6.1, maybe a re-engine at some point.

the tubes look pretty poor but i think some TLC would bring them back nice enough based on the pics.

seen worse for the money that is for sure.
Old 11 November 2015, 23:17   #65

just noticed this.....they are saying it is a northcraft as suspected.

Northcraft - 6.3 RIB RIBs and Inflatable Boats for sale in Edinburgh, Scotland | Boats and Outboards
Old 12 November 2015, 09:45   #66

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
90hp on a 6.6m boat will probably mean you need to sit at 42-4500rpm for a decent cruise speed in the mid 20's. supposed to be decent engines for the time and rarely hear a bad thing about tohatsu engines. that RPM is higher than i like to cruise at but many people do keep their cruise in that range so probably nothing too out the norm.

it is unusual to see a 6.6 with a 90, they usually come with a 115 or 140 tohatsu and the 90 on the 6.1, maybe a re-engine at some point.

the tubes look pretty poor but i think some TLC would bring them back nice enough based on the pics.

6.6 with a 90 not that unusual if you go back 15 years or so. The majority of the 6.5m Scorpions (1996-2000ish) were rigged with 90hp 2 strokes when new. Mine certainly was.

A light 6.5m boat should be more easily driven than a heavy 5.5m boat. Tohatsu 6.5m hull "very similar" to Solent and Phantom hulls.
Old 12 November 2015, 13:21   #67

Tohatsu Marine

What tohatsu says.
Old 12 November 2015, 18:30   #68
RIBnet supporter

Quote:

I see. Thank you for this insight.
What would the tube TLC entail? I see that they look a bit tired and the 'D' shaped profile (rubbing strake?) appears to be lifting on the port side where the tube terminates and looks quite marked in places. Does the two stroke engine run on a petrol and oil mixture which is bought ready mixed?

Have you anything to say about the hull, where the blue paint is at the bow? I know nothing about that brown appearance or what needs to be done to renovate it and put the hull back into pristine condition. The seating looks relatively recent.

Anything else is technical and beyond my current understanding. The price looks attractive and would leave me some money to lavish some TLC on it. Your comments about engine size are noted. How far would the engine supplied take me towards a more suitable engine if it were to be part exchanged?
Old 13 November 2015, 19:58   #69

TLC would probably mean spending a few hours on the tubes with some RIB revive or something similar. I have never had to revive tubes that faded but plenty of threads about on faded tubes so they would come up reasonably well I would think.

The engine I don't think it an issue with your intended use. If you do need or want more power then the 90 is probably worth about £1800 or so. It will run on normal unleaded and oil it will mix itself. You just put outboard oil in the oil tank and it does the rest.
Old 13 November 2015, 22:49   #70

Town: Fareham
What's your budget jepho?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2015, 23:21   #71
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
What's your budget jepho?
I was going to start around 10k, Andy. I think that I would be better off if I added another 5k to give me some flexibility. I guess that I have decided on 5.80 as a minimum because I am hoping to do a little coastal and offshore leisure. I also have an idea that good quality hulls are likely to command better prices in the second hand market.

I know that Humber are having a sale right now and it occurred to me that I might go that route and try to find a decent second hand engine. This approach would take me past my 10k budget. Another alternative would be to find a well sorted quality boat and buy it as a turnkey solution.
Old 13 November 2015, 23:24   #72

Town: Fareham
I'm PMing you.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2015, 23:25   #73
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
TLC would probably mean spending a few hours on the tubes with some RIB revive or something similar. I have never had to revive tubes that faded but plenty of threads about on faded tubes so they would come up reasonably well I would think.

The engine I don't think it an issue with your intended use. If you do need or want more power then the 90 is probably worth about £1800 or so. It will run on normal unleaded and oil it will mix itself. You just put outboard oil in the oil tank and it does the rest.
OK, I am guessing that a few tins of elbow grease are going to be needed too. . Any thoughts about the ride delivered by Tohatsu hulls?
Old 13 November 2015, 23:26   #74
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
I'm PMing you.
Thank you.
Old 14 November 2015, 00:55   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepho View Post
OK, I am guessing that a few tins of elbow grease are going to be needed too. . Any thoughts about the ride delivered by Tohatsu hulls?
I have never been on one so can't comment with any authority.

I nearly bought one a long time ago as a first boat though, does that count

The V looks deep enough to me and I'm sure be more than good enough for your intentions.

For the money it seems a decent boat you can perhaps add value to..I.e a good clean.

The hull should come up nice with some hull cleaner and elbow grease. I would clean and polish it as best possible and get rid of the blue antifoul in favour of white, would tidy it up nicely.

If you look at the humber deals you could put a used outboard on, lots of people do that. Remember to factor in steering, fuel equipment, nav, chartplotter and a vhf, perhaps an A frame too if you want. Also ropes, fenders, life jackets etc. Most of that would come with a used boat on most occasions, life jackets being the exception normally, always buy new ones for my money there.
Old 14 November 2015, 01:20   #76

This looks clean.....

Ribeye - 6 Metre rib with Yamaha 100hp outboard 9000 RIBs and Inflatable Boats for sale in Dorset, South West | Boats and Outboards
Old 14 November 2015, 08:16   #77

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jepho View Post
Does the two stroke engine run on a petrol and oil mixture which is bought ready mixed?
You don't buy it ready mixed. You may see people referring to "pre-mix" That means the oil is added to the fuel tank before going out. Usually at a ration of 50:1 (1litre of oil added to every 50litres of fuel). You can't buy it premixed. Don't think you can buy motorbike 2 stroke premixed anymore - but even if you can the oil is different. Motorbike engines are air cooled and so run hotter than a boat engine which is water cooled. The oils are different (you need an oil that is classed for TC3W).

A litre of TC3W costs about £10, but if you buy 5litres you can reduce the cost to ~£5/litre. You stick 30litres in a red plastic fuel can and then add 600ml of TC3W... Give it a shake to mix - job done.

More modern 2 strokes don't use pre-mixed fuel. So your fuel tank is 'pure' petrol and there is a reservoir on the engine for the TC3W. The engine adds the right amount of oil, either at a fixed rate or some engine management process.

What you need to know about 2 stroke vs 4 stroke:

2 stroke engines are lighter - so you can sometime put more power on the transom because the engine weighs less
(most) 2 stroke engines are simpler (they still break but usually are simpler to fix
2 stroke engines are noisier (if you are underway that *may* be less of an issue. if you are at tick-over or trying to coach/train people it becomes a challenge.
2 stroke engines are smellier
2 stroke engines tend to leave a bit of an oil slick around them at tick over
2 stroke engines can lie of their sides - probably not relevant here but if you have an aux engine etc thats not on a bracket it needs to be 2S or you get a headache.
2 stroke is less fuel efficient

There is a modern variant on 2 stroke that people either love or hate. It uses fancy modern engine management stuff to manage oil use etc... the general rules don't all apply.

There is a lot of marmite in TC3W ;-)
Old 14 November 2015, 09:27   #78

Town: Dartmouth
How about a Ribcraft 585 retubed to your spec in Hypalon with a Yamaha F115?
Old 14 November 2015, 11:37   #79

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribraff View Post
How about a Ribcraft 585 retubed to your spec in Hypalon with a Yamaha F115?

Nice hull👍 should tick all the boxes & you'll grow into it, rather than out of it.

.....sh1t happens.......
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2015, 12:47   #80
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
I have never been on one so can't comment with any authority.

I nearly bought one a long time ago as a first boat though, does that count

The V looks deep enough to me and I'm sure be more than good enough for your intentions.

For the money it seems a decent boat you can perhaps add value to..I.e a good clean.

The hull should come up nice with some hull cleaner and elbow grease. I would clean and polish it as best possible and get rid of the blue antifoul in favour of white, would tidy it up nicely.

If you look at the humber deals you could put a used outboard on, lots of people do that. Remember to factor in steering, fuel equipment, nav, chartplotter and a vhf, perhaps an A frame too if you want. Also ropes, fenders, life jackets etc. Most of that would come with a used boat on most occasions, life jackets being the exception normally, always buy new ones for my money there.
OK Xk59D. All understood. Thanks also for the reminder about essential incidental costs... which I had not considered.

Tags
rib