Old 05 August 2015, 01:05   #1

Jbt marine shout

Hey all,

There isn't much good news stories about so I thought I would share my experience with JBT marine, specifically Jeremy down there.

When I bought my boat it had a couple of fairly expensive problems (hydraulic steering ram and gas detection system were the main ones, not JBTs fault), I must admit I was concerned that I was literally the other end of the UK and how would I get warranty, I need not have worried. I simply sent the faulty bits back and I was sent new parts in their place within days normally. I could have got arsey and demanded dealer fitting etc but I was happy to do the work myself and a bit of come and go helps everyone sometimes.

Admittedly it has been 7 months since I bought the boat but they have just managed to get me the last part I was waiting on. Again, not their fault as supplier was out of stock and I was trying to fix the fault to save them spending money that wasn't required. by the time the weather played ball and I concluded testing the damn thing was out of stock....Typical!

Anyways, if you are in the market to buy, sell, trade in etc then give them a bell, literally hassle free and always called me back unlike some rib makers when asking about new boats.

Cheers
Old 05 August 2015, 12:28   #2

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
JBT Marine do have a very good reputation down here but as for some rib makers not calling you back well all I can comment here is that you did not call us . perhaps this is because there is no longer a RibNet Trade Directory and you only called the wrong people who knows.
Old 05 August 2015, 13:50   #3

Andre,

To clarify, no I have never spoken to your company or asked for a quote, that was a conscious decision though rather than I didn't know about parker. I didn't need a trade directory to know what boats I wanted but perhaps useful for others to have. I'll let the trade members and mods sort that out.

Cheers
Old 05 August 2015, 16:48   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
Andre,

To clarify, no I have never spoken to your company or asked for a quote, that was a conscious decision though rather than I didn't know about parker. I didn't need a trade directory to know what boats I wanted but perhaps useful for others to have. I'll let the trade members and mods sort that out.

Cheers
Do you mind if I ask why you made such decision?

Anything personal cos if you have a preference you would not have been contacting any makers but nevertheless you have for sure made a good decision
Old 05 August 2015, 18:08   #5

Andre,

i don't have any experience with parker ribs good or bad, i have never even seen one infact!

the main reasons i chose other makes though were-

1. a known quantity to me.

2. you have a gap between 5-6.5m boats, most of the rib market probably sits where you don't cater for. i was looking at new 6m boats until this barely used 6.8 came up.

3. your website pictures are all heavily weighted towards military/rescue etc, virtually none of the boats pictured are leisure boats .most of the pics are inboards and rescue boats. i wanted to see examples of what i could expect, not what the military tool about on. i.e there is not 1 picture of a deck on a 6.5 with an outboard so i can see how the transom/scuppers are laid out for example. same also applies for the V/planning pad and the chines.

i understand most of the above can be customised but nice to see previous examples of similar work before shelling out.

it would be nice to see a 6m boat and better pictures of what you are all about in the leisure side. i.e deck views, storage, options etc.

cheers
Old 05 August 2015, 20:34   #6

Good point and good feed back. Many thanks. A call would have been helpful. At Parker ribs only the deck furniture and colour show the difference between a commercial and leisure rib anyway you have made your choice and as long as you are satisfied what more can I saw but happy ribbing cos that is what it is about. I am sure we agree here. ,
Old 05 August 2015, 21:45   #7

if you design a 6m i'll expect a cheque in post

yes, very happy with the choice thanks.

cheers
Old 06 August 2015, 13:34   #8

Quote:
if you design a 6m i'll expect a cheque in post

yes, very happy with the choice thanks.

cheers
Not so sure if I understand this

I design a 6 mtr and you will expect a cheque in the post - interesting thinking

it is like I said to one forum member many years ago. I do not make them I sell them. and before you ask - yes he did buy one and it was an all Yellow RIB and now some know who that person was.

anyway why have a 6.0 mtr when one can have a 6.50
Old 06 August 2015, 13:48   #9

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post

I design a 6 mtr and you will expect a cheque in the post - interesting thinking

it is like I said to one forum member many years ago. I do not make them I sell them. and before you ask - yes he did buy one and it was an all Yellow RIB and now some know who that person was.

Andre relax it was only Scottish humour

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 August 2015, 14:59   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Andre relax it was only Scottish humour

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
I am fine no worries just could not see this as any humour especially Scottish only a confusing comment

by the way I was born in Scotland in a town called Ellon
Old 06 August 2015, 15:38   #11

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Quote:
I am fine no worries just could not see this as any humour especially Scottish only a confusing comment

Are you an Andra then

Andra Gee
Old 06 August 2015, 15:39   #12

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:

Quote:

Hmmm! is this what you'd class as a "Thread hijack"?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 August 2015, 15:45   #13

Quote:

Andre,

Yes it was a joke, relax

Why have a 6m over a 6.5? Simple, cost of purchase and ownership costs.

most "normal cars" will struggle with a 6.5 or are at the upper limit of their capacity. I.e mondeo, insignia, astra, focus etc Not to mention fuel, storage etc all goes up of course. Anyone under 35 will need to sit a towing test (400-1000 quid) for 6.5m and probably think about a bigger than normal car. Decent chance both of those are okay with a 6m boat. The fact most cars are going with the no torque with turbo on a small engine road doesn't help.

Anyways, there are many good reasons for me and IMO 5.8 - 6.2m is the sweet spot in the market, Parker obviously have their own thoughts and fair play to them.

Cheers
Old 06 August 2015, 16:00   #14

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
6m max for me had bigger in the past
Mooring in Salcombe off the town 6m max
Over 6m is a pain to fit on my drive
6m easy to tow and launch single handed
Uses with a 115hp 4st about as much juice as my SR4 with a 50hp 2st on
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 August 2015, 16:21   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Hmmm! is this what you'd class as a "Thread hijack"?
Possibly
Old 06 August 2015, 16:29   #16

Quote:
Andre,

Yes it was a joke, relax

Why have a 6m over a 6.5? Simple, cost of purchase and ownership costs.

most "normal cars" will struggle with a 6.5 or are at the upper limit of their capacity. I.e mondeo, insignia, astra, focus etc Not to mention fuel, storage etc all goes up of course. Anyone under 35 will need to sit a towing test (400-1000 quid) for 6.5m and probably think about a bigger than normal car. Decent chance both of those are okay with a 6m boat. The fact most cars are going with the no torque with turbo on a small engine road doesn't help.

Anyways, there are many good reasons for me and IMO 5.8 - 6.2m is the sweet spot in the market, Parker obviously have their own thoughts and fair play to them.

Cheers
Good argument and I would not disagree
A 5.8-6.2 will of course have a narrower beam hence less weight etc but a 650 which will have a wider beam will give you a far better ride no matter of the make.

Some may call this thread high jacking but interesting topic / discussion nevertheless.

Tags
jbt marine