Old 19 August 2011, 20:35   #1

Town: Rosas
Boat name: Conqueror
Make: Valiant
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard 150hp Merc
Send a message via Skype™ to Courageous
It's all gone pete tong now!

Well, my woes regarding water in the fuel, leg length etc all academic now. I spent 3 hours sitting on my boat today while the auxy pushed me along at 4 knots after the gearbox let go on my Merc 150. Plenty of time to meditate the issue. The gearbox appears to have let go and I'm not so sure the whale tail planing plate didn't have something to do with it. It looks like the rear end of the lower unit has opened up, this has allowed water in and oil out. It went unnoticed and the end result is going to be very very costly.

And the leg extension is en route from Madrid as we speak........

Anyone wanna buy a merc 150 leg extension????
Old 19 August 2011, 20:40   #2

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courageous
Well, my woes regarding water in the fuel, leg length etc all academic now. I spent 3 hours sitting on my boat today while the auxy pushed me along at 4 knots after the gearbox let go on my Merc 150. Plenty of time to meditate the issue. The gearbox appears to have let go and I'm not so sure the whale tail planing plate didn't have something to do with it. It looks like the rear end of the lower unit has opened up, this has allowed water in and oil out. It went unnoticed and the end result is going to be very very costly.

And the leg extension is en route from Madrid as we speak........

Anyone wanna buy a merc 150 leg extension????
Ouch

Sorry to hear your woes. Did it need the whale tale ?

How much is the leg extension. I've an opti 135 which the kit may be of use on to somebody.

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 19 August 2011, 21:26   #3

Hi Peter, the whale tail helped considerably with the speed since the motor was too short. It lifted the top speed from 15 knots to 28! It seemed to hold more water around the prop to prevent the prop flinging all of th water away as it ventilated. It was (I thought) worth a shot at 60 odd quid as against the 900USD delivered for the extension. In the event I still needed the extension so IF it was causal to the failure then what an unholy upcock THAT was eh?

I think that's the Opti I showed an interest in until I realised it was a long shaft again, not sure the extension will do but in any case until I find a solution to this I'd better hang onto it. I may get a replacement lower or stumble across another motor that needs the extension. Thanx for your thoughts on it and also the sympathy. I need buckets of that right now, oh and buckets of wine!
Old 21 August 2011, 08:12   #4

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Bugger - at least you got yourself home.

Might be worth checking your insurance papers, lower leg damage is covered by mine.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2011, 11:42   #5

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Sorry to hear that, you certainly have my sympathies.

As above, have a look at your insurance. You never know.
Old 21 August 2011, 14:36   #6

Town: Fareham
Have a look here for a possible replacement.

http://www.rib.net/forum/f10/honda-2...ale-43331.html

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2011, 14:04   #7

Thanx for your kind support guys. I believe I'm in trouble with the insurance aspect as my agent told me that I would be insured against damage caused by hitting flotsam. Of course I could twat it with an appropriate piece of oak but with no obvious marks on the hull I'm not sure. In any case I think that's a no.

Andy, I had seen that motor. I'm way down the merc/mariner line at the moment with spares, workshop books, props etc. It does have me thinking though........ Flippin huge motor though eh?

May have had a stroke of luck for the moment - the old Mariner 150 efi which came off this boat won't release it's leg to me but I expect it will let me have the gearbox easy enuff. Gregg at GB watersports has suggested that I can use the leg extension on its way from Madrid and discard the extension shafts. Then the gearbox off the Mariner c/w shafts should go right on! Jeez I hope so!

I'll keep ya all posted. Thanx again folks!
Old 22 August 2011, 20:33   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courageous View Post
Thanx for your kind support guys. I believe I'm in trouble with the insurance aspect as my agent told me that I would be insured against damage caused by hitting flotsam. Of course I could twat it with an appropriate piece of oak but with no obvious marks on the hull I'm not sure. In any case I think that's a no.
So you are assuming it is caused by wear and tear allowing spontaneous destruction of the gearbox? Maybe, but I'd be letting the loss adjuster "prove" that and assuming that it was caused by the prop hitting an underwater obstruction until told otherwise.
Old 22 August 2011, 20:46   #9

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Polwart - be very careful what you advise. In a marine policy it is up to the assured to prove the cause of the loss, not the insurers to prove what is not the cause.

In reality, most issurers will be "reasonable" in looking at "reasonable" cause suggested by a "reasonable" assured.

Couragaous - I look at plenty of underwater damage cases, quite often there aren't any marks on the hull. Often not much on the gearbox either.

Has the gearbox been stripped down?

Any evidence of monofilament line in seals?

Records of proper servicing?

Don't be afraid to call your insurers and just be "reasonable".

Please don't hit it - that's "unreasonable"
Old 22 August 2011, 21:25   #10

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searider View Post
Polwart - be very careful what you advise. In a marine policy it is up to the assured to prove the cause of the loss, not the insurers to prove what is not the cause.

In reality, most issurers will be "reasonable" in looking at "reasonable" cause suggested by a "reasonable" assured.

Couragaous - I look at plenty of underwater damage cases, quite often there aren't any marks on the hull. Often not much on the gearbox either.

Has the gearbox been stripped down?

Any evidence of monofilament line in seals?

Records of proper servicing?

Don't be afraid to call your insurers and just be "reasonable".

Please don't hit it - that's "unreasonable"
Theres some words of authority here
Old 22 August 2011, 21:34   #11
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searider View Post
Polwart - be very careful what you advise.
I didn't provide any advice! I made an observation that until someone more knowledgeable demonstrated otherwise I would always assume that catastrophic destructive gearbox failure may have been caused by collision with an underwater obstruction

Apologies if the word prove was too strong.
Old 22 August 2011, 21:51   #12

Town: Plymouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courageous

Andy, I had seen that motor. I'm way down the merc/mariner line at the moment with spares, workshop books, props etc. It does have me thinking though........ Flippin huge motor though eh?

May have had a stroke of luck for the moment - the old Mariner 150 efi which came off this boat won't release it's leg to me but I expect it will let me have the gearbox easy enuff. Gregg at GB watersports has suggested that I can use the leg extension on its way from Madrid and discard the extension shafts. Then the gearbox off the Mariner c/w shafts should go right on! Jeez I hope so!

I'll keep ya all posted. Thanx again folks!
I've just pulled that Honda 225 in and it's huge indeed!!!

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 22 August 2011, 22:51   #13

"Please don't hit it - that's "unreasonable"". Of course I was joking........ I think I've made my position on this fairly clear haven't I?
Old 30 August 2011, 06:26   #14

Update - it looks like 2 or 3 probable causes behind this now. The bolt at the very rear of the lower casing which shoots through from under the trim plate was completely missing which wasn't a very good start. 2 of the remaining nuts holding the lower were loose (one had unwound itself by 2 threads already). The additional stress caused by fitting the rather large planing plate probably took advantage of this and exploited the weakness and then I assume the stress placed on the gear set that resulted finally took its' toll.

RIP merc gearbox.

Fortunately I had a spare on my buggered 150 EFI now fitted. We had to helicoil a thread in the mid where the missing bolt was as that appears to be the reason they didn't fit one (no thread there at all).

Fingers firmly crossed now.