Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
It the death of the rib on the horizon?

I have been pondering this question for some time. Yesterday the climate change policy was unveiled in Ireland. It has the goal of eliminating petrol and diesel engine cars. This begs the question given how fuel thirsty ribs are. Will the cost of ribs and in particular the fueling of ribs become excessive for most people. The electric powered rib that was constructed about a year ago demonstrated the limitations of electric powered boats.

The question is what does the future hold for ribs?

Tsm
Old 18 June 2019, 07:34   #2

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
I suppose the same could be said for commercial vessels such as fishing boats, harbour tours, right up to cruise ships.
Old 18 June 2019, 08:01   #3

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run View Post
I suppose the same could be said for commercial vessels such as fishing boats, harbour tours, right up to cruise ships.
It could be said for any internal combustion engine whatever the application! I'd love to be here in 100 years and see how technology has evolved
Old 18 June 2019, 08:45   #4

Town: Lancashire
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
https://youtu.be/rE_M1n-ClOA

Apologies if this has already been posted but if electric boats are in their infancy then looking at this anything’s possible
Old 18 June 2019, 09:18   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
I think it's too political to answer fully but why make policy when the full replacement technology isn't there yet or can be afforded all for change when it's fair I wonder how much it will cost to replace fuel tax revenue
Old 18 June 2019, 09:48   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
I think it's too political to answer fully
Or politely. This isn't likely to affect many of yiz auld lads. Even a man in his prime like me can relax...
Old 18 June 2019, 09:48   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
I think it's too political to answer fully
Or politely. This isn't likely to affect many of yiz auld lads. Even a man in his prime like me can relax...
Old 18 June 2019, 11:21   #8

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
Hey Willk ........you know that repeating yourself is on of the first signs of " going downhill " ?

Hey Willk ........you know that repeating yourself is on of the first signs of " going downhill "

Hey Willk ........you know that repeating yourself is on of the first signs of " going downhill " ?

Old 18 June 2019, 15:10   #9

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
In terms of efficiency burning fossil fuels in the modern internal combustion engine is on par with burning them in a power station and you don't get the transmission losses incurred when moving the power around. Could be described as a long tailpipe as electric cars remove noxious gases from the point of use, normally a smoggy city environment.

Air quality however is not a problem at sea hence no real need for change other than to generate profit for those pushing 'green' alternatives. Lithium batteries are not green during their manufacture or disposal! Neither is nuclear fuel.
Old 18 June 2019, 16:44   #10
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern Hanreck View Post

Hey Willk ........you know that repeating yourself is on of the first signs of " going downhill "

Upside - at least you knew you had read it before somewhere
Old 18 June 2019, 17:06   #11

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Or politely. This isn't likely to affect many of yiz auld lads...
Ha, just cuz I've had to reapply for me driving licence...anyway, if that old bidy on the telly tother day is anything to go by, 112 years young, there plenty o time left.

Watch the fuel thingy or Poly will av us cut off at the knees.
Old 18 June 2019, 17:31   #12

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Recreational boating won't turn 100% electric in the near future, there's a limited battery duration, poor milage performance and the need of constant recharges between runs associated to them along the ultra high cost of any electric outboard or inboard motor and the need to purchase special batteries separately to power them.

Can anyone imagine the large quantities of recharging stattions that will be needed at the marina, port to recharge several boats at same time. I would not like being there..

Happy Boating
Old 18 June 2019, 20:08   #13

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
I have been pondering this question for some time. Yesterday the climate change policy was unveiled in Ireland. It has the goal of eliminating petrol and diesel engine cars. This begs the question given how fuel thirsty ribs are. Will the cost of ribs and in particular the fueling of ribs become excessive for most people. The electric powered rib that was constructed about a year ago demonstrated the limitations of electric powered boats.

Tsm
Not unless the Eco Nut Jobs Fascists Martyrs take over and Ban Private leisure time persutes...like they'd want to Ban Aiir Travel...Private Car Ownership...Eating Meat...Nuclear power..ect ect!!
Of course plenty of them them would ALSO like to consign our defences and Nuclear deterrents to the Bin...Of course then it wouldn't be us making ANY decisions

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 21:40   #14

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
I don't think you've anything to worry about in the short to medium term. For a step change, and that's what's actually required to meet 2050 zero carbon emissions, then the government would need to put in place incentives to see a turn around in fossil fuels.

Yes, new diesel car sales are down by 40% over the last 24 months, but the alternative to switch to electric isn't even feasible for most people.

Leisure boats in the UK are still pretty niche, RIBs wise, even more so, so any changes are likely to be slow until the infrastructure is in place, and indeed the technology.
Old 18 June 2019, 21:57   #15

Town: Vancouver, BC
Boat name: Race Curtains
Make: Highfield
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 115 Outboard
...or is it the re-birth of the Rib?
Seems like electrics work well on things that are light weight with a high payload capacity such as e-bikes. If/when the numbers start to look better for marine use I expect ribs would be some of the first test beds. A light craft with the same propulsion will usually go further than a heavier one. Long live the Rib.
Old 19 June 2019, 00:30   #16

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Not unless the Eco Nut Jobs Fascists Martyrs take over and Ban Private leisure time persutes...like they'd want to Ban Aiir Travel...Private Car Ownership...Eating Meat...Nuclear power..ect ect!!
Of course plenty of them them would ALSO like to consign our defences and Nuclear deterrents to the Bin...Of course then it wouldn't be us making ANY decisions
Is this sarcasm? FS I hope so. If not please try reading something other than The Mail/Express/Infowars etc etc.
Old 19 June 2019, 00:43   #17

Quote:

Tsm
Yes... at some point. Where that point is will depend on individual boat owner. Petrol/diesel is only going to get more scarce/valuable over time, and burning it for fun (as we all do) will become a more and more expensive pastime. At some point we're all going to decide we've something better to do with the cash. Most of my friends are in the 30-45 age bracket and they already think that doing 100-120 litres of fuel in a weekend (before paying any of the other associated costs) is nuts.

I doubt they'll be banned any time soon (despite what the 'silent majority' thinks) because a) they aren't really a major problem at the mo, an b) they tend to be owned by older people who *vote*.

Still, we'll all be picking expired tins of beans out of the smoking ruins of the British economy before long, and trying to save up enough bottle tops for a trip to a private doctor, by which time it'll be a moot point.

So *smoke 'em if you got 'em*
Old 19 June 2019, 00:48   #18

Quote:
Will the cost of ribs and in particular the fueling of ribs become excessive for most people.

Tsm
NB, I was responding to this, and forgot to edit it. [emoji16]
Old 19 June 2019, 08:42   #19
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Gurney View Post
try reading something other than The Mail/Express/Infowars etc etc.
Are you sure he's a Reader, and not a Contributor?
Old 19 June 2019, 12:49   #20
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post

Can anyone imagine the large quantities of recharging stattions that will be needed at the marina, port to recharge several boats at same time. I would not like being there..
I think it depends on the type of boating people do. Given many big floating caravans never really go very far, it might suit many boaters to trickle charge a huge battery and have a rapid charge pontoon to replace a fuel dock for those going a bit further. Given the pace of work I’ve seen in most marina fuel docks 40 minutes for a refuel wouldn’t be that different!

Will it replace big outboards - probably not - unless there was some sort of standardised hot swappable battery packs that could just be craned on board.

Tags
rib