Old 03 July 2009, 20:57   #61

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Oddly enough, I'm not that surprised!

Thanks to Neil, my briefings just got a lot sharper
I have two breifings I give to crew.

The first is to people that I would entrust with my recovery.

The Second is aimed at people that are most likely to do more harm than good (don't fancy the prospect of my Son aiming the boat at me at WOT) to turn to channel 16 and call out May Day, till someone answers.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2009, 10:44   #62

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
Pontoons..... a lot of people put likejackets on kids once in the boat - there is as much if not more danger on the pontoon. the boat is probably tied alongside, engine off - so delaying a rescue if someone does fall in. tides can be strong and can drag them out of reach quickly or (I dread this) pull them under pontoons (it has happened).
nearly every private sailing club that i visit even inland sites ,have a mandatory p.f.d. to be worn if going anywhere within slipways or pontoons and that goes for anyone ,how many of us have a plan though to recover a m.o.b.if he or she is incapacitated eg shock or injury and cannot help themselves ,for my sib i have a parbuckle sheet rigged and rolled up .even my 9 y.old can now get me inboard ,
Old 04 July 2009, 12:29   #63

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: Incentive
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90TLDI
Hope you are feeling better Neilda,its been a very interesting read and it certainly hits home.Never thought about the killcord,i have a Tohatsu and no killcord = no start,ill have to get a spare killcord ordered.Get well soon pal and dont let it put you of boating
Old 04 July 2009, 20:23   #64

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Thanks for being candid Neilda, and I hope you are improving well Sir I'd appreciate if you could give us a little build up of your boating history, had you driven a power boat of this size before, for example ? .. You dont sound as if you are a man without means by your credentials, and its a pitfall we could/many fall into, just interested to know some background.

My own near misses should have had me give my crew boarding passes for the flight but similarly a firm briefing is of the order before hand, and as it happens , all my auto LJ's are getting renewed this year as a matter of course, due to UV fabric damage and potenial pellet & gas deterioration
Old 05 July 2009, 10:59   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker View Post
I have watched children crabbing at Poole and many other locations, with not a life jacket in sight. A 30ft drop into deep water with limited access and often with large vessels coming and going.
I agree, my youngsters wear a buoyancy aid whether crab fishing in Datmouth or playing in the big waves at the beach, not to mention on the boat. On the beach it makes for a much more relaxing parental experience and they are easier to spot as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crabbing.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	43814  
Old 05 July 2009, 11:27   #66

Town: Near Godalming
Boat name: AJA
Make: Ribeye
Engine: Yamaha F150AETX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Thanks for being candid Neilda, and I hope you are improving well Sir I'd appreciate if you could give us a little build up of your boating history, had you driven a power boat of this size before, for example ? ..
Boating history zero. I had covered just over 300 miles in my new RIB before the accident. Whilst only vaguely connected to boats, I have owned several 200 mph + cars and have driven/raced at Le Mans and Goodwood - this has given me a disregard for speed. I now realise this is a dangerous and foolish attitude when applied to boats - cars at speed I can do, I did not expect a boat to have similar levels of grip!!
Old 05 July 2009, 13:25   #67

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberstoker View Post
I agree, my youngsters wear a buoyancy aid whether crab fishing in Datmouth or playing in the big waves at the beach, not to mention on the boat. On the beach it makes for a much more relaxing parental experience and they are easier to spot as well.
Learning to swim is a big help..............

I grew up by the Red Sea - learnt to swim at about 3 or 4 - was scuba diving by 7. I used to sneak out at 6am and go swimming on my own in the sea. I fell off more boats and jumped off more bridges than I care to remember - and I am STILL here!!!

How long will it be before every kid on the beach is wearing a lifejacket.............
Old 05 July 2009, 14:30   #68

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilda View Post
Boating history zero.
Have you considered taking some training?
Old 05 July 2009, 14:49   #69

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
did you dislocate your shoulder on the way out of the boat or when hitting the water?
Old 05 July 2009, 15:07   #70

Yes I took training on the day my boat was delivered - as I have remarked several times here, the accident was caused by a foolish and ill thought out manoeuvre on my part; by dramatically changing the attitude of the prop whilst airborne.

My shoulder was dislocated on hitting the water at full speed. I didn't feel it 'pop' as I was more focussed on survival, then on where my boat was heading with two novices on board.
Old 05 July 2009, 15:24   #71
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Jaysus lads, FFS, if you want I can hold him down and you can jump on his other arm.....

I think he gets the picture
Old 05 July 2009, 15:46   #72
RAD

Town: Essex
Boat name: Club Boat
Length: no boat
Engine: Yam 40hp
All I have to add, is thank you for sharing this. I have seen videos of boats out of control through not wearing kill cord etc etc and the old age thing "it will never happen to me" but it makes you aware things do happen.
Old 05 July 2009, 15:51   #73

This shows just how violent it can be!!!

And another........

Old 05 July 2009, 15:56   #74

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post

This shows just how violent it can be!!!
wish I could see that from a forward pointing camera
Old 05 July 2009, 16:35   #75

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Learning to swim is a big help..............

I grew up by the Red Sea - learnt to swim at about 3 or 4 - was scuba diving by 7. I used to sneak out at 6am and go swimming on my own in the sea. I fell off more boats and jumped off more bridges than I care to remember - and I am STILL here!!!

How long will it be before every kid on the beach is wearing a lifejacket.............
You mean they don't already?? No wonder thousands drown.

Judging by your foolhardy ventures at an age when you should never have been let outside unsupervised, Codprawn, it would seem your parents were as irresponsible as mine. Thank goodness the children of today (i.e, anyone under the age of forty) are far more responsible and knowledgeable about the dangers of life and know that, to climb a tree one needs a responsible adult on hand, a safety harness, and certificates from HSE and local environmental groups. As for water - it's dangerous, didn't ought to be allowed and best avoided at all costs.
Old 05 July 2009, 17:59   #76
RIBnet supporter

Town: Belfast
Boat name: Cait
Make: Humber
Engine: 90hp Opti
RIBase
Sorry about your bad luck Neil.

Certainly has made me think a bit more re my safety briefings!

take care and get back on!
Old 05 July 2009, 18:30   #77

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I think he gets the picture
I dont think anyone is taking anything other than a totally positive line from the op's opening post. (Including himself) Accidents dont occur when you expect them, and the more we can learn from this sort of situation the better for everyone, even the smallest of details may trigger a thought or notion about something, any other member here may have overlooked.

What has surprised me thus far, is how easy it is to become disabled and in the case of a solo voyage , render your self pretty helpless, having got the radio, the GPS or the phone sorted, its easily useless. In my line of work, I have a backup for everything, and sometimes a backup for a backup, now if I was in Neildas position (as sometimes I dont wear the kill cord either) its fair to say I'd be similary stuffed, and what surprises me is that, having knee boarded for many years, I've had my fair share of wipe outs .. hitting the water at a fair velocity and never in my mind had I considered the debilitation of a dislocated shoulder from such an event. Its fair to say you are closer to the water in such a case, but its a horiffic thought to see your boat heading off into the distance leaving you in the middle of nowhere, in the cold water, wondering what the hell you're gonna do next ? or worse still .. coming back towards you in an instant at full bung, and you cant get out of the way fast enough
Old 05 July 2009, 18:42   #78
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Quote:

What has surprised me thus far, is how easy it is to become disabled and in the case of a solo voyage , render your self pretty helpless, having got the radio, the GPS or the phone sorted, its easily useless. In my line of work, I have a backup for everything, and sometimes a backup for a backup, now if I was in Neildas position (as sometimes I dont wear the kill cord either) its fair to say I'd be similary stuffed, and what surprises me is that, having knee boarded for many years, I've had my fair share of wipe outs .. hitting the water at a fair velocity and never in my mind had I considered the debilitation of a dislocated shoulder from such an event. Its fair to say you are closer to the water in such a case, but its a horiffic thought to see your boat heading off into the distance leaving you in the middle of nowhere, in the cold water, wondering what the hell you're gonna do next ? or worse still .. coming back towards you in an instant at full bung, and you cant get out of the way fast enough

Scary stuff init?

Bit OT but a mate of mine damaged something to do with his ear when he came of his ski at speed. His head was flopping onto his right shoulder. He wasn't fit to sh!t in a bucket for a long time.

Think RIBS are out and nice 7 knott displacement hulls with very high sides are in
Old 05 July 2009, 19:56   #79

I wonder = was it hitting the water that dislocated his shoulder or being wrenched from the wheel???
Old 05 July 2009, 23:14   #80

Quote:
What has surprised me thus far, is how easy it is to become disabled and in the case of a solo voyage , render your self pretty helpless, having got the radio, the GPS or the phone sorted, its easily useless. ................ what surprises me is that, having knee boarded for many years, I've had my fair share of wipe outs .. hitting the water at a fair velocity and never in my mind had I considered the debilitation of a dislocated shoulder from such an event. Its fair to say you are closer to the water in such a case, but its a horrific thought to see your boat heading off into the distance leaving you in the middle of nowhere, in the cold water, wondering what the hell you're gonna do next ?
You've pretty neatly summed up how it was.

Without a jacket I wouldn't be here now. On my own, not completely confident how I would have fared - not well.

When the ball joint of your arm is some place floating around in your upper chest and that upper quarter is paralysed with pain, that £50 jacket is probably the best money you've ever spent as you watch the wake of your boat disappear into the distance!

Feeling for your beautiful watch and realising it's not there was the final sock in the wedding vegetables.

Feeling slightly less aches today guys and thanks for all the good wishes - they're extremely well received.

My lessons?

1. Life Jacket (you could easily be injured and in the water)
2. Kill cord (+a spare around the wheel)
3. Briefings
4. No matter how cool you look in your wayfairers standing up behind the wheel, don't turn hard when you're airborne! A big guy can be flipped out in a heartbeat - effortlessly it seemed.

PS, Cod, it was hitting the water that pulled the arm out.