Click Here to Login

Old 24 July 2012, 19:11   #1

Town: Cowes
Boat name: WightStuff
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150hp
MMSI: 235072807
Isn't Life just sooo amazing!!!! (and how to get rid of it!)

Fascinates me how "life" manages to get a foothold at every opportunity, including our lovely previously clean and shiny RIB, that's now been in the Marina for only three weeks.

Hull is at the best, dirty... but the engine itself is now greener and thicker with weed than my lawn is at home

Had a deep conversation today about whether life in space was similar and floats around on Comets, waiting to leap onto planets, but that's not important right now

So... boat is only in the water for another couple of weeks. So any tips on how to clean it all off once it's out of the water. Although I love life and the seaweed is a very nice green colour, I really don't think our engine is the best place for it to live.
Old 24 July 2012, 20:03   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
High pressure the hull will remove all dirt but not the gloss back on GRP so will need a cleaner. Carefull with tubes and only light pressure these and then soapy water normally works. Then use a tube proprietry cleaner and after 3 M tube sun protector.

If you know a good valet guy/girl on the Wight i would pay the extra for a yearly clean and shine
Old 24 July 2012, 20:05   #3
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Use a decent jet wash - but if it's a powerful one, be careful of damaging the tubes... Start cleaning a fair distance away, and keep edging closer until it cleans off the 'life' - and make sure that you don't lift the glued edges with the jet (i.e. go from the other direction!!).

Blast the hull as best you can - 3 or 4 weeks shouldn't be long enough for barnacles to get a really good grip - unless your marina is barnacle central...!!...so a jet wash should be good enough.

D...
Old 24 July 2012, 20:17   #4

Do you think a pressure wash will get the seaweed off that has taken residence on the lower part of the engine leg? Shame that the engine doesn't lift fully out of the water.
Old 24 July 2012, 20:18   #5
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Yes - I've got a Bravo 2X leg - so none of it comes out of the water - and the jet wash cleans that off a treat. It's probably the most satisfying bit......
Old 24 July 2012, 21:09   #6

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGR View Post
Yes - I've got a Bravo 2X leg - so none of it comes out of the water - and the jet wash cleans that off a treat. It's probably the most satisfying bit......
Aye to that .. thats why I dont mind hoovering infact I am a demon with one, and no house proud woman can hold a candle to my suction antics
Old 25 July 2012, 09:26   #7

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrAinZ View Post
Do you think a pressure wash will get the seaweed off that has taken residence on the lower part of the engine leg? Shame that the engine doesn't lift fully out of the water.
Yes it will but wash it as soon as you take it out of the water, let the weed dry and it is much more difficult!!!
Old 04 August 2012, 06:54   #8

Well, this is what the hull looks like after only 33 days in the water, amazes me!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1186533767.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	70894  
Old 04 August 2012, 07:01   #9

Town: Thornaby
Boat name: Storm
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.5
Engine: Suzuki DF 150
Now that is some growth..... We get that off a yacht in about 18months.
Old 04 August 2012, 12:04   #10

Town: southampton
Make: ribeye
Engine: 140 suzuki
Just looking at your photo, it looks like your engine is left in the up position tilted to the right. The weed line is higher on your right side.

My ribeye has the engine tilted up to the left, thereby balancing the boat dead level. That in effect makes both tubes at the back just miss the water by millimetres. If tilted the other way or dead centre, the right tube sits down in water and gets weeded. However, I cannot get the engine leg entirely out the water, but the bit touching is only very small.

Also make sure you are not filled with water in the inner hull as this will make you 'hang low' at the back. If not pulled up at a slip way anytime soon, undo the inner bung at sea, excelerate just keeping the nose high, water will then drain into the area housing the bilge pump. Re bung when bilge pump running dry/empty.
Old 05 August 2012, 18:48   #11

Make: Zodiac Mk I
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 hp Yam two stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrAinZ View Post
Well, this is what the hull looks like after only 33 days in the water, amazes me!!!
Very heavy for only 33 days! Looks more like 3 months,but there are a lot of variables that can make a big difference from one place to another,local temp,fresh water content,sunlight,ect.Have even seen a big difference from year to year on the exact same mooring