Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribochet View Post
The officer posted his idea on Twatter - says it all
Alternatively Dial 112 the other emergency number at least the operator knows your location if you call from a mobile
Old 03 January 2013, 23:42   #63
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
The 50p for 999 is obviously never going to happen. The thinking (such as it is) behind the comment will have been the sheer volume of hoax calls that the Emergency Services get. I had a convo with a CG officer recently and I was startled to learn that they can receive hundreds, if not thousands of hoax calls from the same individual over a few days or weeks! Imagine the drain on resources and moral. The police try to catch those responsible but you can also imagine how difficult that can be.

AFAIK, 112 and 999 calls are free from all phones, incl. mobiles without SIM cards and this is unlikely to change. So yiz can relax...

Old 04 January 2013, 11:52   #64
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
Alternatively Dial 112 the other emergency number at least the operator knows your location if you call from a mobile
Urban myth. Both 999 and 112 provide the same degree of "location" of your mobile. Which may be very little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
And to cap it all I heard on Radio 2 this morning that someone has come up with the brilliant idea of making 999 a premium rate number! What happens if you don't have any money handy or a card or whatever at a phone box? what about the number of people that are put off genuine emergencies - I could go on!
I completely agree. I don;t think the person making the suggestion was in a position likely to have much direct influence but it does have the benefit of raising the 'issue' in the media and getting people talking about it. Presumably the person suggesting it hasn't considered how many of the genuine 999 calls he gets come from mobiles with no credit - or mobiles used free of charge on 'competitive' networks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk
I had a convo with a CG officer recently and I was startled to learn that they can receive hundreds, if not thousands of hoax calls from the same individual over a few days or weeks! Imagine the drain on resources and moral.
The big issue as I understand it (certainly for the police and ambulance service) is not hoax calls but calls which are not genuine emergencies. "I've locked myself out", "I've no money to get home", "I've cut my finger", "I've got tooth ache", as well as things which are legitimate calls to the police but aren't genuine 999 calls e.g. "my car has been vandalised", "someone has been consistently abusive to me on internet social media!" etc etc... down south they have introduced a non-emergency number so people don't have to look up the phone book to find their local police station. I don't know why we haven't followed suit in Scotland - a lot of people I speak to don't even know their own phone number never mind where their local police station is!

Quote:
The police try to catch those responsible but you can also imagine how difficult that can be.
With genuine hoaxes maybe, but for inappropriate use the caller is usually trying to contact the police. Whether it would be a good idea to try to prosecute any of the 'stupid' rather than hoax calls is interesting - as imagine if 'that risk' puts off someone calling in something that seems trivial and as a result someone dies. Education probably better than legislation?
Old 04 January 2013, 12:03   #65
RIBnet Supporter

I used the term "hoax" as a catch-all. The biggest problem the CG were having was more malicious calls, they didn't expand on the details, but I understood that it was a small number of individuals making repeated calls about non-genuine issues. I have no experience of the other emergency services.

The rozzers have had some success locating a couple of callers who were serious offenders, but the feeling is that the courts won't do much to them

Bl@@dy judges
Old 04 January 2013, 16:13   #66

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I completely agree. I don;t think the person making the suggestion was in a position likely to have much direct influence
It turns out he was "only" a sergeant (apologies to any sergeants reading this!)

Quote:
Sgt Hamilton, secretary of the Tayside branch of the Scottish Police Federation
Isn't that like the Police Union?
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 January 2013, 17:14   #67

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Engine: 30T/40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
I hope the OP is proud of this stream of BS. I would have expected better of him.
Well, the OP is not responsible for where the thread goes, and I find there to be very little "BS" here if any at all other than possibly that which I have just quoted.

Old 04 January 2013, 17:19   #68

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post

Isn't that like the Police Union?
Aye,the the Scottish chapter of the upstanding moral beacons that tried to stitch up Andrew Lansley.

POLITICS ALERT POLITICS ALERT POLITICS POLITICS ALERT
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 January 2013, 17:26   #69

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
I hope the OP is proud of this stream of BS. I would have expected better of him.
Who threw you a bone?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 January 2013, 17:46   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Who threw you a bone?
Now that has actually made me laugh.
Old 04 January 2013, 19:13   #71
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Isn't it time a 'compulsory towing' act was introduced for morons like these?
I *think* that actually the secretary of state's representative has the power to direct any vessel to take a tow? Although such powers are obviously only used when considered absolutely necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starovich View Post
meh, leave em out there, darwin will win in the end
darwin only works if you remove people from the gene pool before they breed, otherwise its too late and evolution will not work.

Quote:
You make a very good point-as does Erin. What annoys me is that these clowns tied up sevices for 2 hours that may have been needed elsewhere.
but had they been in need elsewehere the CG could have released them to deal with the other incident. they might be further from the 2nd job - or they might be closer, or the fact they are already crewed and afloat might save time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac View Post
I think that the CG is at fault here. The guys in the boat did not call for help, yes they were inadequately prepared for the conditions etc but they were feeling ok and in control. Many others I have seen were in worse condition in charge of a boat
It was the CG who, after getting the RNLI to check on the guys, tasked one boat to stay with them. Should have told both boats to go home and have their tea!
but presumably the coxswain has the ability to suggest to the cg that their presence is not required, that all is well, or even to call his launch authority and suggest he'd like to go and get his tea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
I feel the RNLI bean counters are devaluing the often heroic and life saving work the crews do by claiming non incidents like this as casualties and no doubt 'lives saved' in the end of year statistics.
The RNLI seem to be aware of that criticism and separate lives saved from person assisted. Of course the media may then misuse those stats when they report the data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ0KYZ View Post
it's the assumption that jet skis must only be used in sheltered waters and that anyone who wants to take one offshore must be mental or reckless
I'd expect some similar raised eyebrows if I told them I was taking my little boat over the Irish sea to visit Willk (and they haven't even met him!) - a journey I occasionally think might be fun, and on paper would be ok on a good day - but if I was planning a major trip alone in such an 'unsuitable craft' I'd probably call them in advance so they knew I was nuts, but suitably equipped!
Old 04 January 2013, 19:22   #72

Quote:
You make a very good point-as does Erin. What annoys me is that these clowns tied up sevices for 2 hours that may have been needed elsewhere. I guess there's no way round it though apart from letting evolution do it's work.
Indeed, but they didn't call them out. Somebody else did. And even then they didn't want recovering.
So maybe this touches another thread here about "hoax" or misinformed requests for help by third parties.
Old 04 January 2013, 19:22   #73

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribochet View Post
The officer posted his idea on Twatter - says it all
"Twatter" - that made me laugh; I must use that more in conversation. You don't mind if I pass it off as one of my own do you?
Old 04 January 2013, 20:58   #74

Think i would book this one down as a (False alarm with good intent) rather than a hoax call that is as long as the caller thought were in genuine difficulty & not just an excuse for stirring a bit of bother or excitement .
Old 04 January 2013, 21:05   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
Think i would book this one down as a (False alarm with good intent) rather than a hoax call that is as long as the caller thought were in genuine difficulty & not just an excuse for stirring a bit of bother or excitement .
"False Alarm".......that's the (two) word(s). Totally agree.
Old 04 January 2013, 21:26   #76

what its really all about ,proper shout ,no hoax call or false alarm with good intent with this one,,, new years eve.
Old 04 January 2013, 21:55   #77

Just to help,

Compulsory towing is false imprisonment if refused and/or in no apparent danger to oneself or others regardless and not committing any crime or intending to commit any crime which would lead to arrest or death of any person on board or as a result of the actions of those on board the vessel being targeted as being boarded to specifically prevent those on board carrying out any aforementioned activity.

ie.,

you can't just go up to a manned bobbing boat and decide to tow it somewhere.
Old 04 January 2013, 21:58   #78

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Quote:
I think that the CG is at fault here
ah yes the CG is always at fault. He is alerted with a false alarm to a small boat. Stand the boats down and an unrelated event tips the guys in the water, he is pilloried in the press for sending the boats home and has at least a very uncomfortable time at an inquest. . On the other hand keep a boat on standby and the guys dont end up in the water and its all his fault again! The guy in the ops room has really gotta cover his back.
Many of us on here could be described as Morons by the man in the street using this thread as a datum point cos we use small boats in conditions that are not always, errm, flat calm. These guys used their boat in fair conditions, did not call, or indeed need to call, the emergency services and would have caused no bother to anyone, but ended up being harrassed by two lifeboats and then the rnli released the pictures to the press. They must be mightily p***d off.
aah yes and they got called morons by a guy on here, a day out to remember indeed.
Old 04 January 2013, 22:14   #79

wavelength, how utterly correct in all respects.
Including the one where CG is at fault..........somebody has to be at fault. Unfortunate situation.........same as the MOD not going to the aid of a country in need because it hasn't called for help and then being accused of doing bugger all when it all kicks off.
etc., etc., at least the CG is an authority that considers these situations and choses the best path, ultimately right or wrong, but it's considered and done so by relevant and accountable people. Not hicks that shoot from the hip after a week on weed and whiskey.
The RNLI should not have posted their pictures. But should have gone to investigate the call. Lesson learned.
Old 04 January 2013, 22:26   #80
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
Many of us on here could be described as Morons by the man in the street
And in some cases the man would be right!