Click Here to Login

Old 07 November 2013, 05:57   #1

Town: San Diego
Boat name: Carolyn
Make: JP Marine
Length: under 3m
Engine: 15 hp Evinrude
Is Too Much Power a Bad Thing?

Hey Guys. I am new to boating and recently bought a 2.8 fiberglass RIB. I found a 15 hp Evinrude outboard with a steering bar that I am thinking of purchasing as well. The boat is rated for 10 hp, but when I called the manufacturer (JP Marine, here in San Diego, CA), he said the 2 stroke 10 hp and 15 hp weighed about the same and I should be fine. Now that I have learned a little more, I am beginning to wonder if too much power is a bad thing. I understand that the bow will shoot up if given too much throttle, so I'm hoping to move the steering bar forward to help with weight distribution. I'm 250 lbs so weight might be an issue. Sorry, I don't know what that would be in in stones or rocks or whatever you guys use! Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, amigos.
Old 07 November 2013, 06:47   #2

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
The purists will advise you that you will have insurance issues but that is entirely up to you.
This will be balanced by the grin when you're on the plane.....
It's certainly nice to have a bit extra to get going & there's nothing to stop you throttling back plus the engine won't be going at full chat unless you're always in a hurry.
Old 07 November 2013, 07:18   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlers View Post
The purists will advise you that you will have insurance issues but that is entirely up to you.
This will be balanced by the grin when you're on the plane.....
It's certainly nice to have a bit extra to get going & there's nothing to stop you throttling back plus the engine won't be going at full chat unless you're always in a hurry.
Insurance? I don't think I need no stinking insurance; at least I haven't heard about any stinking insurance here in California. I'm sure that will change as people catch on to RIBS. I don't know anyone who has one or has ever been on one. My friends think I am nuts in my current endeavor.

I have watched youtube videos of people on the "plane", but I don't understand the dynamics. I guess it is all about getting the bow out of the water and then gliding on the aft (flat) portion of the boat? I have been warned not to get a 15 hp because the bow will fly up and, if sitting forward like I plan with a steering bar, I will get tossed when it drops to a plane. 250 lbs says you better have some serious force to toss me from RIB; so that sounds improbable.

Anyone run a setup like this? American's on another forum keep advising against it, but they can't come up with a reason other than reckless use of power being a problem. What is the downside? I understand that the reckless use of power might be an issue for most Americans, but I am half-Mexican; I will only get reckless if there is a fiesta involved. Cheers!
Old 07 November 2013, 07:44   #4

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
If you go with the 15hp and use the extra power regularly check the transom for damage. The extra horsepower will be putting more stress on the transom (it will be trying to twist it off the rest of the boat with more force than it was desiigned to handle).

It will only throw you out of the boat it you apply too much power so treat the throttle very very gently and enjoy it.

Chris

--
Tigga - Avon SR4 Rescue with 40hp Yamaha 2 stroke
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 November 2013, 07:58   #5

Thanks. The transom seems very strong, the whole vessel is a single molded piece and the hull has reinforcement arms extending from transom to deck (I lose deck space, but gain more hp?). Throw me out of the boat? Really? That's what I want to hear, baby!
Old 07 November 2013, 08:50   #6

I have a 3.2 aluminium floor with a 15hp 2 stroke (max for this boat) that gets out easily with me solo (17 stone), three up (kids 10 stone & 8 stone) gets out if they lean forward then sit back but whole family of five (another 15 stone) chugs along at displacement speed....
In addition you've got the weight of your fuel tank & engine plus gear.
If you do silly things like grab a big fist of throttle with the engine not straight hit a wave it WILL throw you out if you want to play silly buggers (kill cord a must) but that's up to you.

Either way personally I think a few extra horses is no bad thing as long as the boats in good condition & as previously mentioned the transom is in good condition.

If the nose is coming out shift your weight forward or put the fuel tank at the front to help distribute the weight !!
Old 07 November 2013, 10:19   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Welcome to RIBnet Briantroy,

If you're not bothered by stinking insurance then your plan sounds fine to me. I have a similar sized inflatable (non GRP) and a 10hp.

As you say, reckless abuse of power is the concern here so take it easy until you get the hang of it - that thing will go like a scalded cat and certainly could throw you out. Getting your very many rocks forward will help when getting underway. Get a tiller (steering bar) extension like this:

About two feet is fine, telescopic is best as you will want to reduce it for better control when going slowly. You can make one up out of PVC plumbing pipe to see if it suits you first - just make sure it's well attached!

The other thing - make ABSOLUTELY SURE that you wear a killcord at all times when underway. It's the best stinking insurance policy you'll ever have.

Enjoy.
Old 07 November 2013, 10:31   #8

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Engine: Mercury 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantroy View Post

Insurance? I don't think I need no stinking insurance.
"stinking insurance "? Wish we had some stinking insurance!.........we live about 500 yards away from a pig farmer and would love some sort of compensation when it's blowing a south westerly!

;-)

Welcome to RN btw.....

Simon

Sent from my Experia Ultra europallet using Rib.net
Old 07 November 2013, 11:01   #9

Hey willk, my "Stinking insurance" is a bit from: (Stinking badges - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) It is just something we use to snub authority. "We don't need no stinking XX in blank XX" What is GRP and don't you get confused between kilos, pounds and stone?
Old 07 November 2013, 11:28   #10
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Hey willk, my "Stinking insurance" is a bit from: (Stinking badges - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) It is just something we use to snub authority. "We don't need no stinking XX in blank XX" What is GRP and don't you get confused between kilos, pounds and stone?
...and there was me thinking it was a backhanded reference to your ethnicity - as in: "dam joo, joo steenking Gringos"

GRP is Glass Reinforced Plastic - we Ribbers use it because it sounds more technical and substantial than "fiberglass"

Most Europeans (which technically includes the UK but not Yorkshire) are now metric. However, UK and Ireland Ribbers weigh their boats in Kilos but themselves in Stones. They buy gas in Liters* and beer in Pints. They measure their RIBs in Meters but their voyages in Nautical Miles. RIBs burn either Liters per Nautical Mile or Gallons per Hour. Their engines are now mostly built with metric parts, but are reassuringly rated in Horse Power. You get the picture....

*To confuse things, they spell them as "Litres"
Old 07 November 2013, 11:32   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
...and there was me thinking it was a backhanded reference to your ethnicity - as in: "dam joo, joo steenking Gringos"

GRP is Glass Reinforced Plastic - we Ribbers use it because it sounds more technical and substantial than "fiberglass"

Most Europeans (which technically includes the UK but not Yorkshire) are now metric. However, UK and Ireland Ribbers weigh their boats in Kilos but themselves in Stones. They buy gas in Liters* and beer in Pints. They measure their RIBs in Meters but their voyages in Nautical Miles. RIBs burn either Liters per Nautical Miles or Gallons per Hour. Their engines are now mostly built with metric parts, but are reassuringly rated in Horse Power. You get the picture....

*To confuse things, they spell them as "Litres"

That clears up nothing (except Yorkshire).
Old 07 November 2013, 11:43   #12
Administrator

Town: Brighton
And our gallons are bigger than your gallons!
Old 07 November 2013, 11:44   #13

So, bottom line, I can tear up some bay (except Yorkshire). San Diego is cool? I shouldn't have an issue so long as I watch the throttle.
Old 07 November 2013, 11:44   #14

Yorkshire = Gods County

I hope that helps!
Old 07 November 2013, 11:45   #15

Or Manchester with 22 rocks?
Old 07 November 2013, 11:47   #16
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
And our gallons are bigger than your gallons!
...and our Pints are bigger, which causes alarm or disappointment, depending which way the drinker has traveled.

Old 07 November 2013, 11:48   #17
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
So, bottom line, I can tear up some bay (except Yorkshire). San Diego is cool? I shouldn't have an issue so long as I watch the throttle.
That's about it
Old 07 November 2013, 11:48   #18

San Diego and 93 pebbles. You guys, the real RIB guys, tell me to go for it. The American RIB guys tell me I am nuts. Forget them, I going for the power, I think a stiff upper lip will turn to Mexican (except Yorkshire) smile.
Old 07 November 2013, 11:51   #19
RIBnet Supporter

FYI, you're 17 and a quarter Stone. Which is kinda chunky, unless you're over 187 centimeters
Old 07 November 2013, 11:56   #20

If it hasn't got one fit a killcord.

You probably will fall out & if you do no issues other than a short swim. The plus side is you will be able to rip up the bay with a LOT more confidence if it all goes 'Pete Tong' !